Subwoofer amps vs Pro Amps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Subwoofer amps vs Pro Amps

I am looking to build two horn loaded subwoofers (Bill Fitzmaurice THT) and was wondering if a single Pro amp like a Behringer or Crown would work or not? Was thinking each sub would have a passive lowpass filter (100hz). The reason I ask is because it would also be handy to have this amp around for use on other 2 channel projects.

Conversely, if I choose a traditional subwoofer amp (Dayton SPA1200DSP) could it run both units in mono (8ohm)? Or should I use two lower powered units (one per cabinet? I am told that the design only needs about 200-250w into 4ohms (using the Dayton RSS390HF 15”)

Thanks,
    YO

All due respect, my forum is a better place to ask about my speakers. A very small percentage of members here use them. Every regular contributor there does.
    www.billfitzmaurice.com
    www.billfitzmaurice.info/forum

Comment

Killerkowalczyk – Being one of the small percentage that Bill mentioned, I thought I could chime in…

Yes, one of the Behringer 2ch amps would work very well for both – especially one of the DSP units. I have one myself and ran a horn sub off of it for a couple years, but in Mono mode. Using separate channels would allow separate level control if that need arised. The biggest issues with pro type amps are that the auto on/off feature is usually not available, and some (Behringer from experience) likes a higher input voltage and drive current.

The 1200DSP would also run both as an 8 ohm and be more than plenty to do the job.

All of this of course is without knowing what your intended use for these subs is. If for HT, the 1200DSP is a simple, one item solution. If you want some versatility for the future and save some $$, then a Behringer driven by a line driver (booster) is more what you want.

Comment

From a reliability stand point you can't beat the crowns. My new amp has the built in DSP and I use it bridged to my sub. I've gone through no less than 5 plate amps over the years. The plate amp auto on is a nice feature until it stops working.
        John H

Synergy Horn, SLS-85, BMR-3L, Mini-TL, BR-2, Titan OB, B452, Udique, Vultus, Latus1, Seriatim, Aperivox,Pencil Tower

Comment

Originally posted by sskloss1 View Post
          some (Behringer from experience) likes a higher input voltage
          Most do. The standard for full output with consumer grade amps is -10dBu input, for pro grade amps it's +4dBu. Plate amps tend to have more bang for the buck, as they don't require low THD over a wide band width.
          www.billfitzmaurice.com
          www.billfitzmaurice.info/forum

Comment

I see you mentioned passive LPF. Unless this is a line level filter I would avoid it. Use an amp with active crossovers.

Comment

Originally posted by sskloss1 View Post
              Killerkowalczyk – Being one of the small percentage that Bill mentioned, I thought I could chime in…

Yes, one of the Behringer 2ch amps would work very well for both – especially one of the DSP units. I have one myself and ran a horn sub off of it for a couple years, but in Mono mode. Using separate channels would allow separate level control if that need arised. The biggest issues with pro type amps are that the auto on/off feature is usually not available, and some (Behringer from experience) likes a higher input voltage and drive current.

The 1200DSP would also run both as an 8 ohm and be more than plenty to do the job.

All of this of course is without knowing what your intended use for these subs is. If for HT, the 1200DSP is a simple, one item solution. If you want some versatility for the future and save some $$, then a Behringer driven by a line driver (booster) is more what you want.

The application is currently 2.1 stereo, but want to ditch my bass reflex (powered Klipsch R115sw) sub an replace with two horn loaded subs (THTs) to make a 2.2 stereo.
              YO

Comment

Working...
              X