Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fountek FR88EX & FR89EX Reviews

FR88EX
    Cliff's notes: Low sensitivity. Ok midrange. Bad outside of this. Some pretty wild FR for a "fullrange" above beaming. High HD below 300hz; use a crossover for sure no lower than this. And HD around the breakup regions. All these comments are pretty typical of *most* fullrange drivers and why I don't use them myself unless there's a real need. YMMV.

https://www.erinsaudiocorner.com/dri...ountek_fr88ex/

FR89EX
    Cliff's notes: Low sensitivity. Ok midrange. Bad outside of this. Some pretty wild FR for a "fullrange" above beaming. High HD below 300hz; use a crossover for sure no lower than this. And HD around the breakup regions. All these comments are pretty typical of *most* fullrange drivers and why I don't use them myself unless there's a real need. YMMV.

https://www.erinsaudiocorner.com/dri...ountek_fr89ex/
    ErinsAudioCorner.com

May be helpful...

http://feleppa.com.au/speakermeasmid.html

Comment

Thanks for sharing. Though, the measured SPL on his results of the FR88ex cannot be correct. This driver does not have a sensitivity in the low to mid 90’s as his data is showing.
      ErinsAudioCorner.com

Comment

Originally posted by ErinH View Post
        Thanks for sharing. Though, the measured SPL on his results of the FR88ex cannot be correct. This driver does not have a sensitivity in the low to mid 90’s as his data is showing.
        Reread his testing methods.
        He measures at, I believe a half meter and gives the amount of correction to subtract from his Sensitivity figures. It all makes sense, once you get his methods

The amplifier output is set to 2.83Vrms into 8ohms (1Watt into 8ohm), regardless of the nominal impedance of the driver under test. Therefore in order to compare the sensitivity at 1Watt, subtract 3dB from 4ohm drivers and add 3dB to 16ohm drivers. Subtract about 10.5dB from the curves shown to get the SPL at 1 metre instead of 0.3 metres.

Comment

Ok. So he's testing at 0.3 meters. That hinders the accuracy/resolution of the HF content, unfortunately. :/

That said, I do like the layout of his site.
          ErinsAudioCorner.com

Comment

Ok. So he's testing at 0.3 meters. That hinders the accuracy/resolution of the HF content, unfortunately. :/

That said, I do like the layout of his site.
            A pretty impressive collection of drivers and tests huh?

I wish he would do some 5"-7" midwoofers.

Comment

Erin, could you elaborate on that statement? AFAIK you want measure in the far field to capture the HF content accurately with the definition of "far field" being a minimum of 4-6 times the effective diameter of the driver. For a small driver like the FR88EX 0.3 meters turns out to be 5 times the effective driver diameter. For a sanity check I compared Feleppa's FR88EX FR plot with Zaph's FR plot and didn't see any big differences.
              "Everything is nothing without a high sound quality." (Sure Electronics)

Comment

Originally posted by kevintomb View Post
                I wish he would do some 5"-7" midwoofers.
                Your wish is granted! http://feleppa.com.au/index.html

"Everything is nothing without a high sound quality." (Sure Electronics)

Comment

Originally posted by ernperkins View Post

Erin, could you elaborate on that statement? AFAIK you want measure in the far field to capture the HF content accurately with the definition of "far field" being a minimum of 4-6 times the effective diameter of the driver. For a small driver like the FR88EX 0.3 meters turns out to be 5 times the effective driver diameter. For a sanity check I compared Feleppa's FR88EX FR plot with Zaph's FR plot and didn't see any big differences.
                  Yea, 0.3 meters is kind of right at the bleeding edge for a 3 inch driver. Still, I'd err on the side of caution and measure out further.
                  ErinsAudioCorner.com

Comment

Working...
                  X