Rebuilding a driver....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rebuilding a driver....

I think I want to try my hands at building a blown driver - this one being a 10" driver that I have on hand at the moment that has a blown coil and destroyed former. Have any of you done something similar, and if so, what sites do you use to source the relevant components? Of the top of my head, it looks like I'd need a new coil (and former), cone, dustcap, surround, spider and of course the glue to hold it all together. I may also need a "ring" to raise the spider a bit as the original driver had an issue with the coil bottoming too easily.
    Brian Steele
    www.diysubwoofers.org

Almost anything you would need can be sourced on eBay. If you can’t find a coil that works for you, roll your own, there are videos on YouTube. Use the google machine for lord of bass, they have a killer adhesive that is basically CA and rubber, dries hard and strong. Ive sourced lots of parts from them for driver builds.

http://techtalk.parts-express.com/fo...-ti-voice-coil

Comment

Google 'Speaker reconing', you'll find parts suppliers and how to DIY you tube videos.
      www.billfitzmaurice.com
      www.billfitzmaurice.info/forum

Comment

Yup, I've been Googling, but there's tons of information out there, and I'm not sure which suppliers can be trusted. And finding specific solutions is a bit of a challenge.

1. The driver's original voice coil is 2" in diameter, with a 22mm (0.87" winding depth) The former is 1.625" high, but a 1.75" high one should work. I say that because I think I can get to use the original plastic cone, if I can find a way to get the dust cap and surround off.

2. The spider is 5.5" wide (external diameter) and it's a flat spider. I could go with a cup spider or a riser that's 0.25" high, based on what I'm seeing from where the original cone and original spider were joined to the former.

3. I forgot, tinsel leads would also be required. I actually like the solution that this particular woofer used - instead of tinsel leads, they used a sort of flat "ribbon" cable - no chance of that ever breaking.
        Brian Steele
        www.diysubwoofers.org

Comment

How about whoever built the driver to begin with ?
          They should be able to tell you their parts source ...
          Maybe even part numbers . Drivers are made up
          of combinations of stock parts .

Comment

It's an old Infinity driver, sold by Madisound as the INF10. I don't want to rebuilt it with original parts because IMO it had a flaw - the spider allowed a bit too much inward travel, resulting in the former bottoming out quite loudly at higher signal levels, something that I'm sure led to its eventual destruction. the only part number I'm seeing on it is "902-5861" written on the back of the magnet structure.
            Brian Steele
            www.diysubwoofers.org

Comment

There is a place in Michigan called Circuit Shop Audio and Florida called Simply Speakers that sell recone assemblies, perhaps call those places and see if they have one for you.

Expect any changes from the original design to result in potentially significant changes in TS parameters.

Comment

Regarding the coil, what is the impedance, former material, and how many layers?

Comment

Originally posted by dynamo View Post
                  There is a place in Michigan called Circuit Shop Audio and Florida called Simply Speakers that sell recone assemblies, perhaps call those places and see if they have one for you.
                  Thanks, I think I'll contact them to see how they can assist.

Expect any changes from the original design to result in potentially significant changes in TS parameters.
                  Oh I expect that to happen. Not really because I want to attach the spider 0.2" higher on the former, but because I'll be using entirely different soft parts too. Hopefully they change for the better.
                  Brian Steele
                  www.diysubwoofers.org

Comment

A stiff flat linear spider will better control your excursion. Expect Fs and Qms to increase.
                    https://thelordofbass.com/product/5-...r-roll-spider/

(links should be ok per PE rules as they don’t sell parts like this)

they offer a sewn lead version but I don’t know if you will find flat leads on a spider this small

Comment

https://thelordofbass.com/product/bl...r-repair-glue/

Glue

Comment

Regarding the coil, what is the impedance, former material, and how many layers?
                        8 Ohms, and it looks like Kapton, and a 4-layer coil.
                        Brian Steele
                        www.diysubwoofers.org

Comment

Tinsel wire

https://thelordofbass.com/product-ca...sel-lead-wire/

Comment

Originally posted by Brian Steele View Post

8 Ohms, and it looks like Kapton, and a 4-layer coil.
                            https://thelordofbass.com/product/2-...er-voice-coil/

ive used this coil before and it’s pretty nice. A little longer, so probably will increase qes/qts. If it was two layer you could unwind it some..

Comment

A stiff flat linear spider will better control your excursion. Expect Fs and Qms to increase.
                              https://thelordofbass.com/product/5-...r-roll-spider/
                              Thanks for that link!

I thought that progressive spiders were better at controlling excursion? Ideal would be one that stiffens up as Xmax is being exceeded. If I remember correctly, the INF10's original spider was a linear one.
                              Brian Steele
                              www.diysubwoofers.org

Comment

Working...
                              X