High Efficiency 2 Way ???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• High Efficiency 2 Way ???

Can anyone recommend a High effciency 2 way tower type box project, 90-95 db 1w@1M, with F3 under 50Hz. The kits here are mostly low to mid efficiency. Just built C-Note, not a large room, but need 40 wpc to rock.

DIYSoundGroup Apollo or other horn based kits on the same site. The tritrix MTM at PE with a sub is also a good low cost option.

Comment

85 db is low efficiency. Tweeter is a wave guide not a horn

Comment

Originally posted by BillDurham View Post
        85db is not low sensitivity, but on par with most 2way systems. And that is really what you are talking about here. Sensitivity and efficiency are 2 very different animals. Sensitivity is rated in dB where efficiency is rated as a percentage.

A waveguide or horn based system is what you will need for that higher sensitivity. It comes at the cost of less bass extension. So a sub, or two is needed to get to that last octave or two.
        https://www.facebook.com/Mosaic-Audi...7373763888294/

Comment

Never mind

Comment

Knock yourself out.

Speaker Design Works

Comment

You might want to consider the Audaax PR240MO 95 dB. The Audax PR240M6-8 goes lower but is 92 dB efficient. You should be able to find a tweet that can hit 95 dB without much trouble but you will lose some efficiency on the woofer when you add in baffle step. Good luck.

Comment

Never mind
                don't get upset, you still get a participation medal.
                craigk

" Voicing is often the term used for band aids to cover for initial design/planning errors " - Pallas

Comment

Originally posted by isaeagle4031 View Post
                  A waveguide or horn based system is what you will need for that higher sensitivity. It comes at the cost of less bass extension. .
                  Not necessarily. If you use a high sensitivity woofer in a direct radiating alignment you give up low frequency extension, but you can get around that by using two or more average sensitivity woofers. You just need to have an amp capable of handling the low impedance load that will result.
                  www.billfitzmaurice.com
                  www.billfitzmaurice.info/forum

Comment

before so quick to dismiss (as a newcomer?) did you look at the HORN based systems I suggested?

Comment

Curt Campbell's Cobalt 8 MTM at diysg 94db, Celestion woofs, Scan Speak tweet. If you want a tower, you make it. I don't think diysg has any tower flat packs.

Several other diysg Home Theater kits up to 98db, see for yourself. Most diysg kits are 2 way.

The Apollo MTM is 88db, btw.

The little S2000 MTM is 91db.

Jeff Bagby designed Helix MTM 91db.

Comment

Denovo Vortex 12

Comment

I just finished building the Cobalt-8 TM and MTM for my living room. I think they sound very good and the dynamics are incredible. I had horn loaded compression drivers before this paired with a Faital 6" woofer which was good but the tweeter in the Cobalt really sounds different I think it is more revealing. It may give up some sensitivity to the compression tweeters that are horn loaded but the MTM is 94 db which is good enough for me. I will say though they are not a full range speaker and you will definitely need a sub but that's part of the high efficiency design trade off.
                          Attached Files

Comment

The OP left at "Never mind".

Comment

Can anyone recommend a High effciency 2 way tower type box project, 90-95 db 1w@1M, with F3 under 50Hz. writing helpThe kits here are mostly low to mid efficiency. Just built C-Note, not a large room, but need 40 wpc to rock.

Have you tried Fusion-8 woofer?
                              Last edited by jane477; 09-09-2020, 06:41 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X