No announcement yet.

InDIYana 2020 theme build - The Portals

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Maybe make the tweeter height adjustable so that it can be offset vertically and spread the diffraction.

Comment

^+1 when messing with horns and chamfers the unequal centering/ offset mounting improved the on axis and off axis response
      John H

Synergy Horn, SLS-85, BMR-3L, Mini-TL, BR-2, Titan OB, B452, Udique, Vultus, Latus1, Seriatim, Aperivox,Pencil Tower

Comment

Originally posted by DanP View Post

I'm still not 100% on the details, but I'll have some geometry extending from the back of the cabinet in through the opening and my plan is to make it as svelte as possible. 3D printing is my preferred method, just haven't found the right geometry.
        I know you didn't ask, but here's what I would do. Based on my experience with omni deflectors, I would suggest a concave cone shape profile in a 360º disk in sort of a vertical flying saucer shape (see attached). Keep the edge presenting to the drivers as narrow as you can to reduce reflections back to the cone. I believe this will clean up the upper end of your response as shorter wavelengths can no longer reflect off the opposite side of your driver opening and are instead reflected back out toward the listener. You might be able to get a decent full range sound like this without a tweeter, Without a tweeter, I would bring the concave cone shape of the profile out to a point, but with a tweeter you could cut a flat spot in the center as shown. You could hold the whole thing in place with 2 thin and narrow vertical aluminum straps on the rear side. Maybe run them over the tweeter screw holes.
        Click image for larger version

Name:	DanP thoughts-1.png
Views:	128
Size:	138.1 KB
ID:	1434732
        Dan N.

Comment

Originally posted by dlneubec View Post

I know you didn't ask, but here's what I would do. Based on my experience with omni deflectors, I would suggest a concave cone shape profile in a 360º disk in sort of a vertical flying saucer shape (see attached). Keep the edge presenting to the drivers as narrow as you can to reduce reflections back to the cone. I believe this will clean up the upper end of your response as shorter wavelengths can no longer reflect off the opposite side of your driver opening and are instead reflected back out toward the listener. You might be able to get a decent full range sound like this without a tweeter, Without a tweeter, I would bring the concave cone shape of the profile out to a point, but with a tweeter you could cut a flat spot in the center as shown. You could hold the whole thing in place with 2 thin and narrow vertical aluminum straps on the rear side. Maybe run them over the tweeter screw holes.
          Click image for larger version  Name:	DanP thoughts-1.png Views:	0 Size:	138.1 KB ID:	1434732
          This makes a lot of sense, but then I won't be able to see through the speaker!
          The Hurricanes
          The Baronettes
          Conneccentric
          UX3

Comment

Originally posted by DanP View Post

This makes a lot of sense, but then I won't be able to see through the speaker!
            Ha! Aesthetics rule! Know any glass blowers? I bet Dave P. could have made these out of clear polycarbonate with his process for creating waveguides, no problem.
            Dan N.

Comment

I'd be doing this for bipolar response, but- it is Dan's build....
              Wolf
              Attached Files
              "Wolf, you shall now be known as "King of the Zip ties." -Pete00t
              "Wolf and speakers equivalent to Picasso and 'Blue'" -dantheman
              "He is a true ambassador for this forum and speaker DIY in general." -Ed Froste
              "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:
              http://photobucket.com/Wolf-Speakers_and_more

My blog/writeups/thoughts here at PE:
              http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102

Comment

If you decide to try Dan's suggestion and need someone to thermoform the parts, would be glad to help. Have a friend that works at a company that distributes polycarbonate and acrylic, can buy small blanks from him.
                My "No-Name" CC Speaker
                Kerry's "Silverbacks"
                Ben's Synchaeta's for Mom
                The Archers
                Rick's "db" Desktop CBT Arrays
                The Gandalf's

Comment

Working...
                X