Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

If you're going to the MWAF this year...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by marvin View Post
    I was never a strong Chicago fan either, but I have really enjoyed Leonid & Friends youtube videos. The occasional video of their live performances usually don't sound as good as their studio work.

AFAIK, Leonid did all the transcription of the music by ear from listening to albums?! They are very talented musicians.
    I'm in the same boat. I liked the idea of Jazz instruments in rock music, just never really got that into Chicago for some reason. After listening to L&F I'm wondering why?

Yes, the live performances don't seem to quite have the same 'zing' to the recorded versions, but that holds true for lots of performers I guess.
    I actually Like their version of Vehicle by the Ides of March with the exception of there being very little bottom end for some reason. Their other stuff has good bottom in it. Still awesome though.

I just wonder now if the 'show' will actually 'go on' in July with all that's going on in the world these days. Have to wait and see.

TomZ
    *Veneering curves, seams, using heat-lock iron on method *Trimming veneer & tips *Curved Sides glue-up video
    *Part 2 *Gluing multiple curved laminations of HDF *Cello's Speaker Project Page

*Building the "Micro-B 2.1 Plate Amplifier -- Part 1 * Part 2 * Part 3 * Part 4 * * Part 5 'Review' * -- Assembly Instructions PDF

Comment

Originally posted by tomzarbo View Post
      These guys will be performing nearby:

Here is a youtube link to one of my favorite songs of theirs, 'Street Player' in case you haven't heard of them: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZiNw4SKqaX4

TomZ
      Great video!
      See my projects on Instagram and Facebook

Comment

Originally posted by marvin View Post
        AFAIK, Leonid did all the transcription of the music by ear from listening to albums?!
        That's what every musician who plays by ear does when learning a song from a recording. Most musicians don't read, or write, sheet music. That includes some of the most prolific song writers and performers, Paul McCartney being perhaps the best example.
        I would never agree that they are better than the Terry Kath era Chicago/CTA
        Roger that. Chicago was proclaimed the best band, and Terry Kath the best guitarist of the day, by no less than Jimi Hendrix. I was lucky enough to have seen both of them play. Jimi was right. Jimi also couldn't sight read music. https://www.themusicstudio.ca/blog/2017/11/909/
        www.billfitzmaurice.com
        www.billfitzmaurice.info/forum

Comment

Originally posted by billfitzmaurice View Post
          That's what every musician who plays by ear does when learning a song from a recording. Most musicians don't read, or write, sheet music. That includes some of the most prolific song writers and performers, Paul McCartney being perhaps the best example.
          Roger that. Chicago was proclaimed the best band, and Terry Kath the best guitarist of the day, by no less than Jimi Hendrix. I was lucky enough to have seen both of them play. Jimi was right. Jimi also couldn't sight read music. https://www.themusicstudio.ca/blog/2017/11/909/
          Jimi couldn't read music, but had the advantage of perfect pitch, by all accounts. There's a nice example of that on a bootleg when the engineer sings "get it together' after a flub, Jimi responds straight away with the same notes and inflections.

He was also modest about his abilities; as well as Terry Kath he admired many, many other players, such as Albert and BB King, Clapton, Jeff Beck, Steve Winwood and Chuck Berry. There's a nice clip on YouTube of Jimi watching Buddy Guy , in obvious awe of the playing; he then gets up on stage and plays with Buddy rather than trying to blow him off the stage.

I think Chicago opened some of his shows?

There would always be discussion about whether someone might be a 'better' musician if they could read and write music, but if you look at the list Bill linked to, I think you would have to agree that those artists did pretty well without that capacity. (Sir) Paul would have to be one of the most versatile and accomplished multi-instrumentalists and composers ever.

Geoff

Comment

Originally posted by Geoff Millar View Post

...There would always be discussion about whether someone might be a 'better' musician if they could read and write music...
            Geoff
            You're right, Geoff. Their music isn't sourced from the printed page, it is a gift.

Comment

Always loved Chicago.
              Dan N.

Comment

Working...
              X