Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jhollander View Post
    China, OK. Europe maybe not
    Okay then. I'll spray everything with 91% isopropanol before shipping. But you might want to douse the box before opening it. The mail is second only to money regarding germiness.🙂
    "We are just statistics, born to consume resources."
    ~Horace~, 65-8 BC

Comment

Yeah but the virus doesn't last long on paper and cardboard, the slow boat will be long enough until usps touches them
      John H

Synergy Horn, SLS-85, BMR-3L, Mini-TL, BR-2, Titan OB, B452, Udique, Vultus, Latus1, Seriatim, Aperivox,Pencil Tower

Comment

Yeah but the virus doesn't last long on paper and cardboard, the slow boat will be long enough until usps touches them
        Yup, but if the box uses clear packing tape, that would qualify as 'plastic' and that surface holds the virus for quite a bit longer... not slow boat from China longer... but it's worth spraying the box and inner contents before considering it 'safe' for touching as a clean item. Anything a shipper touches would have to be considered 'potentially contaminated' as you mentioned.

TomZ
        *Veneering curves, seams, using heat-lock iron on method *Trimming veneer & tips *Curved Sides glue-up video
        *Part 2 *Gluing multiple curved laminations of HDF *Cello's Speaker Project Page

*Building the "Micro-B 2.1 Plate Amplifier -- Part 1 * Part 2 * Part 3 * Part 4 * * Part 5 'Review' * -- Assembly Instructions PDF

Comment

Originally posted by tomzarbo View Post

Yup, but if the box uses clear packing tape, that would qualify as 'plastic' and that surface holds the virus for quite a bit longer... not slow boat from China longer... but it's worth spraying the box and inner contents before considering it 'safe' for touching as a clean item. Anything a shipper touches would have to be considered 'potentially contaminated' as you mentioned.

TomZ
          Yes, better safe than sorry. Two of the dirtiest things on this planet are cash and mail plus other deliveries. It only takes one microbe.
          ~Horace~, 65-8 BC

Comment

They arrived today. I thoroughly wiped down the outside of the box with 91% isopropanol, then opened the box and tossed the foam padding and washed my hands. I can't do much else other than let them sit for three weeks. I'd rather not boil the drivers or soak them in alcohol.😁 These measure precisely 1.75 inches in diameter. Sorry for the dust in the photos.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC06115s.JPG
Views:	69
Size:	225.6 KB
ID:	1435311

Name:	DSC06117s.JPG
Size:	169.0 KB
ID:	1435312

Name:	DSC06116s.JPG
Views:	68
Size:	147.4 KB
ID:	1435314

Name:	DSC06118s.JPG
Size:	198.8 KB
ID:	1435313

Name:	DSC06120s.JPG
Size:	124.9 KB
ID:	1435315
            ~Horace~, 65-8 BC

Comment

what was the intention with these lil fellas? as in do you have a box design already planned for them?

how'd you get them for 2 fiddy each? that site you linked was 3x that.....ps i havent googled and im sure a huge chinese online site would probably have them.

Comment

Those will make a good looking array. If you have a box plan I can attempt to duplicate the baffle for the measurements
                John H

Synergy Horn, SLS-85, BMR-3L, Mini-TL, BR-2, Titan OB, B452, Udique, Vultus, Latus1, Seriatim, Aperivox,Pencil Tower

Comment

Those will make a good looking array. If you have a box plan I can attempt to duplicate the baffle for the measurements
                  this may be a stupid question, but is a line array always vertical?

Comment

Typically, but there have been some cool horizontal center channel arrays.
                    John H

Comment

Originally posted by 3rutu5 View Post
                      what was the intention with these lil fellas? as in do you have a box design already planned for them?

how'd you get them for 2 fiddy each? that site you linked was 3x that.....ps i havent googled and im sure a huge chinese online site would probably have them.
                      I'll be using them in narrow eight feet tall floor-to-ceiling corner line arrays similar to Murphy's 'MCLA'. I can't afford to buy all those pricier drivers so I'm substituting these. I would have preferred slightly larger drivers but these will do nicely, I hope.

I bought them from a Chinese eBay seller and negotiated the price as leveraged by the quantity I purchased.
                      ~Horace~, 65-8 BC

Comment

I need to keep this build simple and inexpensive. These also need to be very narrow due to very limited space by a doorway. My current thought is a right triangle with the drivers mounted on the hypotenuse, though I might opt for Murphy's truncated square design. See image below.

I'm uncertain regarding how to implement the center channel. Obviously, it won't be corner loaded. Also, I don't know whether it should be vertically or horizontally positioned. I'm thinking vertical orientation will best integrate with the mains.

Click image for larger version  Name:	mcla.jpg Views:	0 Size:	10.6 KB ID:	1435348
                        OR... I might consider a 1/2 or 3/4 round tube design so they can be adjusted to any angle.

Name:	mcla-2.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	7.3 KB
ID:	1435349
                        ~Horace~, 65-8 BC

Comment

IMO a simple rectangular box would be good that way you can move them anywhere or adjust the toe in to any angle. I think the limiting factor on the center channel will be the number of drivers needed to hit the spl target.
                          John H

Comment

IMO a simple rectangular box would be good that way you can move them anywhere or adjust the toe in to any angle. I think the limiting factor on the center channel will be the number of drivers needed to hit the spl target.
                            I can't remember now but I think, for the MCLA concept to work properly, the mains must be pushed all the way to the corners of the room, not just close to them. I guess a simple square tube could work though. I was thinking the same thing about center channel SPL, especially in the bass range. I was/am thinking of doubling the number of drivers for the center channel and EQ-ing it a bit different than the mains. I inquired about this in another post but was told it wasn't necessary and to no advantage. I just don't know.
                            ~Horace~, 65-8 BC

Comment

Does your doorway have a door that closes or is it open all the time? I would think it would affect the response on that side of the room quite a bit if it's open.

The idea of a tubular enclosure seems like if would be pretty flexible to position angle-wise. I also recall from reading the thread, that the enclosure should be pushed almost right to the corners if possible like you said, and PVC or ABS is only 1/4" thick or so, so you could get really close with that....

But, I don't think it would matter if it were a rectangular enclosure and you angle the front to a good position, then created baffle extensions that went from the cabinet to the walls out of a similar looking material. I think the smoother that transition is, the better.

Take pictures please, this is interesting! Reminds me of Darren Kuzma's Kuze3201 speaker from way back....

Name:	Kuze arrays.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	14.1 KB
ID:	1435355

Here's the link to it... it may give you some inspiration on cabinet construction: http://projectgallery.parts-express....01-line-array/

TomZ
                              *Veneering curves, seams, using heat-lock iron on method *Trimming veneer & tips *Curved Sides glue-up video
                              *Part 2 *Gluing multiple curved laminations of HDF *Cello's Speaker Project Page

*Building the "Micro-B 2.1 Plate Amplifier -- Part 1 * Part 2 * Part 3 * Part 4 * * Part 5 'Review' * -- Assembly Instructions PDF

Comment

Here is a chart of standard Schedule 40 PVC dimensions

Name:	PVC.JPG
Views:	29
Size:	193.2 KB
ID:	1435360

Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                X