Small Full-Range Drivers for Line Arrays - MCLA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tomzarbo View Post
    Does your doorway have a door that closes or is it open all the time? I would think it would affect the response on that side of the room quite a bit if it's open.

The idea of a tubular enclosure seems like if would be pretty flexible to position angle-wise. I also recall from reading the thread, that the enclosure should be pushed almost right to the corners if possible like you said, and PVC or ABS is only 1/4" thick or so, so you could get really close with that....

But, I don't think it would matter if it were a rectangular enclosure and you angle the front to a good position, then created baffle extensions that went from the cabinet to the walls out of a similar looking material. I think the smoother that transition is, the better.

Take pictures please, this is interesting! Reminds me of Darren Kuzma's Kuze3201 speaker from way back....

Click image for larger version  Name:	Kuze arrays.jpg Views:	0 Size:	14.1 KB ID:	1435355

Here's the link to it... it may give you some inspiration on cabinet construction: http://projectgallery.parts-express....01-line-array/

TomZ
    I'm sure you're right about an open doorway affecting frequency response, etc. There is a door. I like the link you posted. Thank you. I'm thinking Sonotube would work too.
    "We are just statistics, born to consume resources."
    ~Horace~, 65-8 BC

Comment

Originally posted by randyohoh View Post
      Here is a chart of standard Schedule 40 PVC dimensions
      Very helpful. Thank you.
      ~Horace~, 65-8 BC

Comment

The corner mounting is going to adjust the space to 1/2 pi so you can pick of some SPL. The baffle response will also change. Are you DSPing?
        John H

Synergy Horn, SLS-85, BMR-3L, Mini-TL, BR-2, Titan OB, B452, Udique, Vultus, Latus1, Seriatim, Aperivox,Pencil Tower

Comment

Originally posted by jhollander View Post
          The corner mounting is going to adjust the space to 1/2 pi so you can pick of some SPL. The baffle response will also change. Are you DSPing?
          Thank you. True, and if I remember correctly corner placement also boosts bass below 200 Hz or so. Yes, I'm using DSP.

I'll probably split each eight-foot tower into 4x two-foot sections and amplify each section separately. Not only will this make transport easy but I can also amplify and time align each section individually.
          ~Horace~, 65-8 BC

Comment

It's been six days since these arrived and I'm not coughing or sneezing.😁
            ~Horace~, 65-8 BC

Comment

Asymptomatic?
              John H

Synergy Horn, SLS-85, BMR-3L, Mini-TL, BR-2, Titan OB, B452, Udique, Vultus, Latus1, Seriatim, Aperivox,Pencil Tower

Comment

Asymptomatic?
                So far 🙂
                ~Horace~, 65-8 BC

Comment

I'm finding conflicting information regarding at what frequency corner loading begins to boost low frequencies. I'm seeing everything from 60Hz to 200Hz. I'm guessing it's a bit lower with full floor-to-ceiling arrays but I don't know. Of course, this will greatly affect how these drivers will be used.

Can someone direct me to this information?
                  ~Horace~, 65-8 BC

Comment

It depends on the proximity to the walls and floors. I would use Jeff Baby's Diffraction and Boundary Simulator. http://audio.claub.net/software/jbabgy/BDBS.html

For multiple stacked drivers I have used the average of the vertical height for the location above the floor
                    John H

Comment

Thank you for that. It seems there's a 2 dB dip at 100 Hz followed by an arced rise below that. SPL doesn't recover and begin to add gain until 70 Hz and below. I'm not quite sure what to do at this point. Will the single centered driver behave the same as a floor-to-ceiling line array regarding corner loaded gain?
                      ~Horace~, 65-8 BC

Comment

For the purpose of the spread sheet that's the best estimate we can use. A 2 dB dip is not audible. Again this are just estimates, if you can measure you would get the actual result plus the speaker's FR response.
                        John H

Comment

Right, but I was hoping for a 12 dB/octave rise below driver resonance down to 80 Hz or so. At this time, I have no measurement equipment. I had to let it all go years ago. I'll acquire more eventually but after this driver purchase I'm really feeling a fiscal squeeze.
                          ~Horace~, 65-8 BC

Comment

For the purpose of the spread sheet that's the best estimate we can use. A 2 dB dip is not audible. Again this are just estimates, if you can measure you would get the actual result plus the speaker's FR response.
                            I'm not dead yet so I guess I don't have the virus. I've not been out so I can't have contracted it. Should I send these drivers to you or wait? Whenever you're ready, PM me your address. I'll reciprocate.

~Horace~, 65-8 BC

Comment

Originally posted by Tin_Ears View Post
                              I'm finding conflicting information regarding at what frequency corner loading begins to boost low frequencies. I'm seeing everything from 60Hz to 200Hz. I'm guessing it's a bit lower with full floor-to-ceiling arrays but I don't know. Of course, this will greatly affect how these drivers will be used.
                              Model the speaker in HornResp, which has the option for 1/8 space (corner) loading.
                              www.billfitzmaurice.com
                              www.billfitzmaurice.info/forum

Comment

Originally posted by Tin_Ears View Post

I'm not dead yet.
                                I saw that movie. PM on it's way
                                John H

Comment

Working...
                                X