OT Cvirus - mods remove please if inappropriate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OT Cvirus - mods remove please if inappropriate

Well, I know I won't get the virus from any of YOU guys!

My county (in WI) just had its 1st confirmed case today.
    Wife and I are pretty much staying home (for a wk. +??). Stores maybe 25% empty.
    Grandkids off school 'til April 6th (per the governor). Prob'ly won't see them for at least one wk??
    Don't know ANYone who's even been tested here. Life seems OK, so far...

If mods keep this up, it's not political, just another way to disseminate info. Feel free to add your own personal observations.
    (It's just intended as a sanity check.) Personally I'm getting a bit OD'd by all the news on the tele (and it's all the same, anyhow).

Take care out there.

I'm in Grenada, West Indies. No confirmed cases here yet, but our neighbouring islands have posted official numbers. Nevertheless, basically every public activity is being shut down here, including my usual weekend activity, hashing. What to do with all that free time now?

Finish some long-outstanding DIY audio projects, of course
    Mission 751 rebuild
    X-over redesign for HT200CC speakers
    Upgrade the car audio system in my daughter's car
    Brian Steele
    www.diysubwoofers.org

Comment

Seems to be getting quite bad in UK now. Government here pretty hopeless, our health service now refusing to test people, even with a high temperature etc.
      Because vast majority are being refused tests, there is no way to know the real figure. Some say around 50,000 carriers now.
      Also the level of severity varies wildly. London based actor Idris Elba just confirmed he tested positive, but has no symptoms (yet).

Comment

• stephenmarklay
        stephenmarklay commented
        Editing a comment
        The news here is negative about the UK response. But it is likewise negative about the US response.

Here in Oz there have been vicious fights over toilet rolls, cancellation of almost all collective activities such as sport, museums and concerts. There have been various levels of paranoia and even apathy due to miserably inconsistent and contradictory information.

People have, sadly, succumbed to the virus and many more - particularly the elderly and people undergoing chemotherapy - are at very serious risk.

We're being as careful as we can but are spending more time at home: the restorative powers of good music help to keep the spirits up.

Geoff

Comment

My wife Eileen and I (both preschool teachers) are off until April 20th at the earliest... per the governor of our state.

The district is providing breakfast and Lunch for those students if Mom/Dad/Caregiver drive to one of the official pickup points to get the meals. Beings we both teach 3- and 4-year-olds, there isn't much of an online presence that we can have to teach such little youngsters... we sent home packets of work to do over the next month or so... my wife has to check in each morning to take virtual attendance, but it's not mandatory that any student log in... not everyone will have access to the internet or have a device to use... we serve an (underprivileged community.) We're basically off until then.

My parents who are in their mid 70's and both have underlying health issues have already wisely self quarantined for the past few weeks and are being careful with outside contact. Dad bought groceries prepaid online and drove to the Shoprite and had them put them in his trunk... no contact with anyone other than contact with the products themselves and the bags they came in. (They disinfected the bags and products before putting them in the house/fridge, pantry, etc.) They live in the sticks, so no neighbors nearby, and no real need to have contact with the outside world for a good month or more. (Mom always keeps the freezer full of frozen food items.)

My wife has been a little upset by all the news of this, but we keep praying for wisdom, and looking at the facts... and I continue to tell her (and me) that everything that is going on is designed to keep everyone safe... we're learning quickly from what other countries have done to suppress this virus, and we're adapting to make it work here in the USA. Hopefully the measures work, and we escape massive casualties and sickness. Just hope the business affected by the lack of income can survive the loss of revenue. Someone on TV suggested buying a bunch of gift cards to the restaurants and little shops that you like to give them a financial hand until things blow over... a no interest loan so to speak.

I also have a little list of things I would like to get to over the break, finishing a set of speakers for this years MWAF is high on the list. Who knows if it will even be allowed to take place however, even though it's in July. I guess we'll just have to wait and see how things progress.

Be safe everyone!

TomZ
        *Veneering curves, seams, using heat-lock iron on method *Trimming veneer & tips *Curved Sides glue-up video
        *Part 2 *Gluing multiple curved laminations of HDF *Cello's Speaker Project Page

*Building the "Micro-B 2.1 Plate Amplifier -- Part 1 * Part 2 * Part 3 * Part 4 * * Part 5 'Review' * -- Assembly Instructions PDF

Comment

Personally, with so much disinformation out there, I find it hard to get to the truth. The internet is supposed to be all about getting information to the people. Very frustrating.

Anyhow, had the typical flu symptoms starting last night and will self-quarantine until getting to see a doctor later today. Both parents and son have underlying medical conditions that make them high-risk for this virus. I always though this world would end in a radioactive flash, not a cough and a sneeze.
          http://techtalk.parts-express.com/fo...khanspires-but
          http://techtalk.parts-express.com/fo...pico-neo-build
          http://techtalk.parts-express.com/fo...ensation-build

Comment

• stephenmarklay
            stephenmarklay commented
            Editing a comment
            I will be thinking about you...

• Kornbread
            Kornbread commented
            Editing a comment
            We have always been proactive when it comes to family ailments because of our son's glutaric acidura type 1. We feel this has had considerable influence, to put it bluntly, for keeping him alive. This time it looks like I may have strep throat (never thought I'd be relieved to have strep). We can deal with strep. Quite frankly, with our son's condition, and our parents in their mid 70's, this coronavirus has us spooked, bigtime. Thank you for the kind words stephenmarklay. And for all those out there going through this pandemic scare, we will make it through this, we have to.

I don't think virus would care about it's host's political convictions.
          In NY, streets are emptier. Subways are half filled. People look spooked. I suspect there will be a full lock-down as we are gonna get to Italy-like state of emergency.
          About $18k in orders went on hold last week. Customers are scared. Some of my NYC customers left upstate for a few weeks.
          My guess is, economic recession for at list a year.
          Luckily weather is now bike commute permitting so I am back on my good oll Track730. Did 35 miles last Saturday and fenced saber for 3 hours. That, no drinking and extra vitamins are about all I can do to boost immune system.
          This is serious guys. No need for panic but if you were planing to do something for your health like quit smocking or start working out, now is the time.
          http://www.diy-ny.com/

Comment

It's nice to see some sensible discussion on this topic. There's a lot of fear right now and that's driving some silly behaviour (like hoarding toilet paper). Here in Ontario, things are ramping up. Schools closed, bars and restaurants shuttered, etc. I think the advice above of "don't panic, but take it seriously" is the correct approach.

I did read a couple of interesting points that I'll add to the discussion: I saw a virologist on the news last night that said the natural conclusion of this is that we all get the virus at some point; either through infection or via a vaccine. At that point, it becomes a childhood illness like many others. Thought that was an interesting take.

Another point was from a statistician that pointed out that the measures taken (social distancing, etc) are designed to slow the transmission, meaning that this could increase the time that we are dealing with this (assuming it doesn't follow the natural path of seasonal influenza) but it will allow health systems the capacity to deal with it better. This was the trouble in Italy where the health system was beyond capacity (mind you, they have the oldest population in europe and were hit early). She also said that it may not follow the smooth Gaussian curve that we see portrayed. As measures loosen, we may see spikes in cases so the curve may be more bumpy as it declines. Again, all speculation at this point but it was an interesting take.

My personal view: Do what you can which is in your control- Stay home, limit contact with others outside your immediate household, wash hands and help others when you can.
            Carbon13

Comment

• Carbon13
              Carbon13 commented
              Editing a comment
              I haven't seen those reports. I'm not sure how that's possible unless the virus has mutated significantly. Once you develop antibodies against the virus you should be immune (unless there's other factors at play). That's the whole basis of vaccination. It's possible the individuals in question maybe had a regular flu, or another form of corona virus? Seems strange...call me skeptical on that one without knowing more details.

• Kornbread
              Kornbread commented
              Editing a comment
              AFAIK, there have been some cases of reinfection. I'm not a dr, nor did I sleep at a motel8, but it leaves me to wonder if they only had a very light ailment the first go-around so their system didn't build up a good defense?

• Blenton
              Blenton commented
              Editing a comment
              I also heard of a case where someone had been infected twice. However, it was my understanding that they hadn’t completely gotten over the first case so it really was more of a flare up do to other factors such as having the virus reintroduced to them or - more likely - having another virus introduced that further compromised their immune system, allowing the COVID19 virus to get out of control again. This is actually what happened earlier this year with several older folks that received the flu vaccine; there were three strains of flu earlier this year so if they received the vaccine for one type, then came in contact with another type in the same period, they had to fight two at once.

I don’t want to spread misinformation but this is what I e heard and it sounds logical to me. However, as has been pointed out, given our ease of access to information, it has become surprisingly difficult to ascertain the truth.

Originally posted by Brian Steele View Post
            including my usual weekend activity, hashing.
            That sounds bad for you... what is it?
            *Veneering curves, seams, using heat-lock iron on method *Trimming veneer & tips *Curved Sides glue-up video
            *Part 2 *Gluing multiple curved laminations of HDF *Cello's Speaker Project Page

*Building the "Micro-B 2.1 Plate Amplifier -- Part 1 * Part 2 * Part 3 * Part 4 * * Part 5 'Review' * -- Assembly Instructions PDF

Comment

Originally posted by tomzarbo View Post

That sounds bad for you... what is it?
              "Hashers" = Drinkers with a running problem .

Check our site - www.grenadahash.com for more information about what hashing is all about.

Brian Steele
              www.diysubwoofers.org

Comment

Check our site - www.grenadahash.com for more information about what hashing is all about.
              What in the world ....
              http://techtalk.parts-express.com/fo...khanspires-but
              http://techtalk.parts-express.com/fo...pico-neo-build
              http://techtalk.parts-express.com/fo...ensation-build

Comment

We've had at least 7 confirmed cases in the Ann Arbor/Ypsilanti area where we live and work and several in the suburbs of Detroit. The first confirmed case was two weekends ago. The person apparently was at a bar just up the street from where we were eating one day later.

It was ok here until the first case hit in the county. Now everyone is totally freaking out. Baby food, formula, and diapers were completely out this past weekend. Luckily we started stocking up a few weeks ago to plan ahead. We have enough to last for at least a month now to avoid all this crazy stockpiling.

My office has started letting people who have kids out of school or are sick start teleworking if they can but are still asking everyone else (even if you can do your job remotely) to come into the office or take PTO
                -Kerry

Comment

Originally posted by Carbon13 View Post
                  It's nice to see some sensible discussion on this topic. There's a lot of fear right now and that's driving some silly behaviour (like hoarding toilet paper). Here in Ontario, things are ramping up. Schools closed, bars and restaurants shuttered, etc. I think the advice above of "don't panic, but take it seriously" is the correct approach.

I did read a couple of interesting points that I'll add to the discussion: I saw a virologist on the news last night that said the natural conclusion of this is that we all get the virus at some point; either through infection or via a vaccine. At that point, it becomes a childhood illness like many others. Thought that was an interesting take.

Another point was from a statistician that pointed out that the measures taken (social distancing, etc) are designed to slow the transmission, meaning that this could increase the time that we are dealing with this (assuming it doesn't follow the natural path of seasonal influenza) but it will allow health systems the capacity to deal with it better. This was the trouble in Italy where the health system was beyond capacity (mind you, they have the oldest population in europe and were hit early). She also said that it may not follow the smooth Gaussian curve that we see portrayed. As measures loosen, we may see spikes in cases so the curve may be more bumpy as it declines. Again, all speculation at this point but it was an interesting take.

My personal view: Do what you can which is in your control- Stay home, limit contact with others outside your immediate household, wash hands and help others when you can.
                  I had occasion to see my physician this past Friday about something unrelated and he echoed the same: that we will likely all get it at some point and the current measures are mostly to keep from overloading the medical system. It is serious but otherwise healthy people should weather it fine. My company instituted work from home protocols today for office staff so it should be fairly sparse around here for a while.

Me, I ordered some passive radiators today to start a project I have been noodling for a while. Being a die-hard ported box guy, I have never played with PRs before so it should be interesting.

Stay safe people.

Comment

Ahhh, I get it... but you folks are having WAY too much fun judging from the banner pic on the website!

I run too, kind of. Actually running isn't the right word... it's more like a coordinated stumble in which I never quite fall and hit the ground.

TomZ

Comment

Yesterday I got a package by FedEx and of course the guy made me sign an electronic pad with my finger. After he left, I was washing my hands and thinking that this is utterly idiotic.
                      Called FedEx customer service. As of today, they are suspending all signatures on the pads unless it's required.
                      http://www.diy-ny.com/

Comment

• stephenmarklay
                        stephenmarklay commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Funny… I signed for a package yesterday and I was thinking the same thing.
                    Working...
                    X