No announcement yet.

OT Cvirus - mods remove please if inappropriate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Someone in my oldest daughter's office has it, she's been working from home for a couple of weeks and will obviously continue. My youngest daughter's company suspended all air travel a few weeks ago, along with having everyone in their Palo Alto HQ, Seattle, NYC and Washington DC offices work from home as much as possible, but of course cleared work still needs to be done in the office, though they are limiting the number of people allowed in at any given time. They also decided that anyone from the NYC or WDC office that needs to go to the other has to either drive themselves or take an Uber. And that anyone who travels outside the US needs to self-quarantine for 14 days when they get back. The oldest is scheduled to go to New Caledonia for work, and the youngest has reservations to go to New Zealand with her adult field hockey team - both trips will undoubtedly get cancelled.
    I retired in December, but that office had officers from a dozen nations' navies with lots of domestic and international travel, so I'm glad to be out of there. My wife and I were going to go to Ottawa in May, that probably won't happen.
    It is estimated that one percent of the general population are psychopaths - New Criminologist: Understanding Psychopaths

Comment

Personally I have not been aware of too much misinformation, but don't doubt that there is plenty to go around. The CDC has a website, CDC.Gov, that has about as reliable information as exists, anybody can look at it. So far, limiting exposure is the only real tool we have, that's what all of these restrictions and limitations are about. Eventually there will be testing and vaccination, maybe antiviral treatments that will help, but hard to predict the time course. We can hope that the warmer weather will reduce the load as well.

Comment

Originally posted by tomzarbo View Post

Ahhh, I get it... but you folks are having WAY too much fun judging from the banner pic on the website!
        That banner pic was from our "Eleventy-Eleventh" (1111) Run. While I was hashmaster, I got bored having a big run every 50 hashes, (1000,1050,...), so I suggested that we do one on 1111 instead.

That's me in front on the ground wearing the shades and black jersey, surrounded by women

Brian Steele
        www.diysubwoofers.org

Comment

The entire San Francisco Bay Area (7 million people) went on lock down at mid-night last night. Now, this is not a hard core lock down, as if you try to leave your house, you will be shot on your porch. But rather, they are asking that only essential travels (to the grocery store, hospital, etc) be taken, and that people do all they can to limit social interaction. The virus has a 2... maybe up to 4 week transmission time. So 2-4 weeks of strictly limited social interaction should be hugely effective. But of course there will be those that ignore this advice (impo,a very selfish way to act) Yes, I'm relatively healthy, good immune system, not too old.... But I'm more worried about having it (and not even knowing it) and transmitting it to people who are not as able as myself, to fight it off. My parents are in there 90's, so hell yes, I'm more concerned about others getting it, than I am myself. I just want to be part of the solution, rather than part of the problem.
          And btw, I do totally understand that this will be a HUGE hit on our economy, but at this point, I think this is just unavoidable. Being complacent, and just letting this spread rampantly, could cause an even bigger impact on our economy in the long run..... even if all your worried about, is the economy. Personally, I care more about my loved ones, than I do my money.

Comment

Best quote of the day:

Discussion with a Millenial: Your grandparents were asked to fight a war - you're being asked to sit on a couch for two weeks. Just do it!

Comment

Originally posted by Carbon13 View Post
              It's nice to see some sensible discussion on this topic. ...
              Amen!

And thank you...

Comment

Originally posted by Fishchris View Post
                The entire San Francisco Bay Area (7 million people) went on lock down at mid-night last night. Now, this is not a hard core lock down, as if you try to leave your house, you will be shot on your porch. But rather, they are asking that only essential travels (to the grocery store, hospital, etc) be taken, and that people do all they can to limit social interaction.
                I think some people were in denial, or complacent about it until last week when all the schools in the SF East Bay shutdown and sent the kids home for 3 weeks, at which point many people started perking up and buying stuff up at the stores. Starting last Friday cashiers at the local supermarket (Berkeley Bowl) had to stay an hour after closing to check everyone out. They declared "shelter in place" across 6 counties yesterday and that's when lines started forming out the doors of any place that sold groceries. So far people are generally treating each other well - but there is some neurotic hoarding behavior kicking in. The streets are pretty empty of people - its easy to find parking when going out to pickup supplies. You find parking real quick, but you have to wait in line outside the store because they are metering how many people are inside the store at any time. There aren't any shortages of food, and the supermarkets will remain open throughout. The main reason to stock up on food would probably be if you just don't want to the market because you're worried about exposure to infection. Its almost better to catch a mild case early on, and get through it without infecting anyone else - then you'll have resistance for at least a while and you'd be free to move around more.

Its a major disruption of everyday life, but the measures are important - left unchecked the number of infected people doubles roughly every 3 days, after 30 days that's 10 doublings or 1024x as many infected people. We're at 6000 infections in the US today, it will be 6 million in 30 days unless we do something. We currently have 30 known cases in our county, if it goes to 30000, and the predicted 2% need to be in an ICU, that's 600 ICU beds in our county in 30 days. The problem is that our county only has 300 ICU beds, so half of those 600 people are not going to make it. The next county over, Santa Clara county, is much worse off, they already have 155 cases and 5 fatalities - they have 438 ICU beds. There's basically no chance of stopping the spread this late in the game, the only play is to slow it down enough so that we don't run out of ICU beds at any given time.

We've been keeping our kids isolated from my parents ( in their 70's and 80's) for the last 2 weeks, because kids are infected without showing any symptoms - its hard because they are used to going over their unit (we share a duplex) and lounging around on grandmom and grandpa's couch. But they've adapted and realize that if they love their grandparents, they need to help protect them.

We're all working from home, but its hard to concentrate with the boys running around. We're going out to get takeout to help keep businesses afloat - a lot of the local businesses are laying off their workers because nobody is going out to eat, or buy things that aren't necessities - they shutdown the auto factory despite the antics of Elon Musk. I don't care much about the insane gyrations of the stock market, but I do feel bad about the people in service and manufacturing industries that are losing their jobs and wondering how they are going to pay their bills, and if they will have a place to live if this goes on for several months. The people who work in healthcare are under a lot of pressure - they are burning through their protective gear because they don't have enough tests to figure out which patients need to be isolated, and which have "normal" illnesses. And of course everyone wants to be tested, but a city of 1 million people like San Francisco is only allowed to test 20 people per day. Korea has had a raging infection for weeks, but their fatalities are really low because they test the crap out of anyone who could be sick, and they can rapidly identify the actual covid-19 cases. In comparison, in the US has been caught flat footed on ramping up tests, so there's a lot of waste and inefficiency in our response.

I would advise people to take the potential for quarantine seriously - its a lot more dangerous than the flu, but the odds are still really low until you get into your 50's and above, then the fatality rates shoot up rapidly. Start stocking up on non-perishables that can keep you fed and comfortable, but you don't have to worry about the supermarket closing or the utilities shutting down, just that you may want to minimize your trips outdoors. We've been thinking about the small businesses we want to help keep afloat and trying to send our money their way.

I've got a pair of crossover PCB from Matt Grant coming in for a project, I should probably order the drivers and crossover components for the second speaker from PE. I should make a trip to Home Depot soon and get MDF for that Voxel sub I've been procrastinating on and see if I can find a used plunge router. Going to have a lot of spare time the next couple of weeks.

Comment

Audioholics' Gene Dellasala is recovering from the COVID 19 virus. He mentions it about 30 seconds into this video:

Comment

So Monday I parked my car at my local supermarket at 7:15 am and began walking to the end of the queue of a 150 or so people. The manager of the store was directing traffic to turn a certain way and go around the already full car park. All of a sudden I feel a bad pain just above my ankles, spin around and I'm lying on the bonnet of a car. Turns out this corvette driver decided he was just going to jump the queue of cars, sped past the manager and hit me from behind. I wasn't too badly hurt and resisted punching his lights out. Lots of people screamed. He then went and parked his car and ran to get into the line that was, by now, going into the store. He ignored my yelling at him to stop and give me his info. The cops came but he'd left with his three bags of toilet paper and other stuff (yes I saw him leave) and I hope it was worth it because now he has a felony hit and run warrant out for him.

My daughter is continuing school virtually at home. We live in a fairly affluent area so she can. The Governor is now saying probably at least until the end of the school year now. I really worry for kids and schools who don't have access to the technology because of years of under-funding the education system.

I have a few KEF Q100 drivers bought a long time ago and now might be the time to do something with them. I'm thinking a tower with a plate amp and a rear firing W6 1139SIF?

I hope you and yours stay healthy.

Watch out for corvettes!

Comment

Wow. So sorry to hear that nigelb. Hopefully they find him. Hopefully you have no lasting injury!

Be smart, be safe everyone. Here's to getting past all this and moving on to better days.

Comment

Originally posted by nigelb View Post
                        Watch out for corvettes!
                        I almost got run over by a corvette a few days ago. Funny thing, there's hardly any traffic in NY, so it's easier to get around. And yet the "sports" drivers still driving idiotic.
                        http://www.diy-ny.com/

Comment

Wow, glad you are OK. Hope you got the license plate to id the guy.

Comment

We bought a Kinsa thermometer the other day, and just got a message from their CEO about their "health map". When you take your temperature, the data gets sent to your phone to the app via the Kinsa server, which has a copy of everyone's temperature. So, they can display a map that shows elevated temperatures across the US. Maybe there is a good correlation with the COVID-19 outbreak, and maybe there isn't...too early to tell. But their maps are showing a lot of elevated temperatures in Florida. Florida is still catching up with testing, but if the next area with high incidences of COVID-19 is Florida, then this temperature data might be a good indicator... Kentucky is also a state with higher than normal temperature data, as is Warren county, where PE is located.

Here is the link to the health map: US Health Weather Map by Kinsa

Here is the message from the Kinsa CEO explaining this map: A Note from Kinsa's CEO
                            Free Passive Speaker Designer Lite (PSD-Lite) -- http://www.audiodevelopers.com/Softw...Lite/setup.exe

Comment

There's an unconfirmed case in my town: Me. A short lived sore throat Tuesday morning, a coughing fit from Wed evening through Thursday mid-day and tightness in the chest middle of the night Thursday. The chest remains slightly irritated. I'm self isolated. My Doc prescribed a Z-pack as a precaution against bacterial pneumonia. And I'm taking my Grandmother's go-to medicine: alcohol. No running to go with that

Comment

Originally posted by Millstonemike View Post
                                There's an unconfirmed case in my town: Me. A short lived sore throat Tuesday morning, a coughing fit from Wed evening through Thursday mid-day and tightness in the chest middle of the night Thursday. The chest remains slightly irritated. I'm self isolated. My Doc prescribed a Z-pack as a precaution against bacterial pneumonia. And I'm taking my Grandmother's go-to medicine: alcohol. No running to go with that
                                Glad you're being careful and smart. Any thoughts on getting a test, or they just don't test without a fever I guess. I don't drink, but what type of alcohol is good for what you've got?

TomZ
                                *Veneering curves, seams, using heat-lock iron on method *Trimming veneer & tips *Curved Sides glue-up video
                                *Part 2 *Gluing multiple curved laminations of HDF *Cello's Speaker Project Page

*Building the "Micro-B 2.1 Plate Amplifier -- Part 1 * Part 2 * Part 3 * Part 4 * * Part 5 'Review' * -- Assembly Instructions PDF

Comment

Working...
                                X