Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Filter help forTechtonic Elements 3.5" in single driver speaker, please.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Filter help forTechtonic Elements 3.5" in single driver speaker, please.

Hi Guys,

I have been playing around with this driver (PE # 297-2156 ) lately after giving up on it as unusable in a single driver desktop speaker a couple of years ago. Despite its nice looking published FR and its ability to play very low for a driver its size, when measured in a 4L cabinet it has a 10db dip in FR from 1.7K to 1.8K followed by a rise of 10 db from 2K to 10K. I'm wondering if anyone has come up with a filter that will flatten the FR substantially. I have tried to do it in Xsim but don't have the skills yet to come up with anything promising. Help would be appreciated greatly.

Best,
    Jay

Try this http://projectgallery.parts-express....ojects/bmr-3l/

John H

Synergy Horn, SLS-85, BMR-3L, Mini-TL, BR-2, Titan OB, B452, Udique, Vultus, Latus1, Seriatim, Aperivox,Pencil Tower

Comment

^ That is a great looking project. I would have liked to see the crossover components displayed but I realize that most people don't care about that.

Comment

This was a very nice sounding little pair of speakers. John brought them to Iowa a couple years ago.
        Craig

The lowest possible F3 box alignment is not always the best alignment.

Designing and building speaker projects are like playing with adult Lego Blocks for me.

Comment

I knew about John's project using the BMR 3.5 as a mid-woofer. This made me hopeful that the BMR 3.5 inch had potential to be used by itself in a single driver, extended range speaker with no tweeter, but just an in line filter to provide some BSC and correct its 12 db dip from 1700Hz to 1800Hz and its gradual10 db rise from 2K to 10 K. That is what I'm hoping to get some help with.
          I'm pretty sure that it would be a complex filter since it would need to provide at least some BSC and shelf filtering of the 2 to 10K band.
          I think that the deep1700 to 1800 Hz dip is a function of some kind of inherent diaphram characteristic. In a discussion with John quite a while ago, he said that it was basically inaudible in his BMR- 3L design, so I'm not necessarily looking for a filter that would address that. Does anyone have any suggestions for a starting point for a filter that would address the needed BSC and 10 db rise from 2K to 10K?
          Thanks!
          Jay

Comment

try this
            John H

Synergy Horn, SLS-85, BMR-3L, Mini-TL, BR-2, Titan OB, B452, Udique, Vultus, Latus1, Seriatim, Aperivox,Pencil Tower

Comment

WOW! Thanks a bunch John. The FR looks MUCH better. Listening starts tomorrow and I'll get back with impressions after I've listened to a pair of them for a few days.

Thanks again,
              Jay

Comment

Reporting back with listening impressions. First of all, there is a substantial improvement over the unfiltered version by implementing the filter suggested by John H. above. Sound is significantly smoother and instrumental tonalities more accurate. Using the filter, I feel that this is probably a better overall single driver speaker in about 5L than anything else I hve built. The main reason is because of the bass range which is deeper and cleaner than the TB W4 1320, Dayton PS95, Peerless TC 9 FD, and HiVi B3n, all which I have tried in a single driver format. If you are looking for a very simple to build single driver speaker with very good bass for its size and a decent midrange it woulld be a viable option.
                However, when I compared it to my Duane Brown Deluxe speakers it was no contest. While the TE 3.5 was decent, the DB 4 had a lot more "air", detail and transparency and just as much extention on the low end. One other comparison I made was the TE 3.5 vs. my old, restored, Polk mini-monitor which was considered a pretty decent commercial speaker back in the day. The TE not only had a much nicer measured FR, but sounded clearly better overall, so don't get the impression that it doesn't sound pretty decent, it is just that it doesn't measure up when compared to a very nice, highly affordable, DIY 2 way.
                I am going to pull my Pico Neos out of storage and am finishing up some Redeyes (a MLTL single driver speaker using the Aura NS3) soon and will do a shootout with them also, but that's all for now.

Best,
                Jay

Comment

tyger23 used it in the Mariposas.

I swear someone made a speaker using 4 of these stacked like a little desktop line array, but I haven't been able to find it.

http://techtalk.parts-express.com/fo...fa-hibm65c20-8

Comment

Also do you think I could get away without the notch and just the 0.3 mH inductor that roll of the highs

Comment

I actually like it. Used it on a few occasions, but honestly my ears arent as tuned as most as i'm a visitor in this realm....Chris gave me some great advice on a BSC which in my opinion took the drivers to the next level.

http://techtalk.parts-express.com/fo...or-pc-speakers

back then i didnt go a cross over and tweeter as i was a bit afraid of the concept, but would consider it now or next time i go for some small desktop speakers.

I'll be interested in what comes out of your research Drjay

Comment

Here's the FR without the notch, with .3 mH on baffle compared to with the notch and .3mH.
                        John H

Comment

Originally posted by jhollander View Post
                          Here's the FR without the notch, with .3 mH on baffle compared to with the notch and .3mH.

When I tried your filter with the response provided by Tectonic through an SPL trace the filter was adding to the dip. Is this due to measurement difference and theoretical driver response?

Click image for larger version

Name:	Annotation 2020-07-21 130635.png
Views:	211
Size:	277.1 KB
ID:	1446537

Comment

The difference is due to the actual driver measurement on the baffle.
                            John H

Comment

Since I can't find a 27uF capacitor on parts-express, the nearest values are a 33uF and a 22uF. How would these modify the inductor value? I'm guessing the 33uF is the safest since it'll notch it down slightly lower, rather than higher and potential interfere with the existing null in the frequency response.

jhollander did you use a formula I could use to change things up ? I found https://www.diyaudioandvideo.com/Cal...chFilter/Help/ but the values you used don't adhere to the calculation there.

Comment

Working...
                              X