Replacement or repair for Hiquphon D20-LP-1 (OWI-92) tweeter for Linn Kan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Replacement or repair for Hiquphon D20-LP-1 (OWI-92) tweeter for Linn Kan

A friend asked me to rebuild two pair of Linn Kans for him. None of the drivers were in working condition, but the cabinets look to be very decent. The speaker uses the Kef B110 midwoofer and the Hiquphon D20-LP-1 tweeter which is a slightly modified OWI they call an OWI-92. I was able to source 4 new B110s from Falcon Acoustics, but I’m stuck on the tweeters. I’d honestly prefer to repair them if anyone knows where to source replacement diaphragm/coil assemblies. I believe the only mod done to this tweeter over the original OWI is the mounting face plate. As the name OWI-92 would suggest, it has a 92mm diameter face where the original measures 94mm.

So is anyone aware of a way to repair a Hiquphon tweeter, or know of a similar replacement with a 92mm mounting flange?

Thank you,
    Dan

Well I found a seller out of Europe that is selling the diaphragms. So now, has anyone taken one of these apart? Is there a “best” way of going at it?

Im still interested in knowing if there is a replacement out there with a 92mm flange as I only have 3 tweeters for the 4 speakers, I’m missing a tweeter and need a replacement.

Dan

Comment

Originally posted by saabracer23 View Post
      Well I found a seller out of Europe that is selling the diaphragms. So now, has anyone taken one of these apart? Is there a “best” way of going at it?

Im still interested in knowing if there is a replacement out there with a 92mm flange as I only have 3 tweeters for the 4 speakers, I’m missing a tweeter and need a replacement.

Dan
      I've taken them apart (experimentation is my thing). I swapped the diaphragms from Scan-Speak D2010's into damaged Hiquphons. They were designed by the same engineer. The Hiquphon faceplate is better. The D2010 diaphragm response is improved. I can't actually vouch for perfect placement of the voice coil, but in testing it seemed good (no distortion tests, however).

Both are hermetically sealed. You'll have to hack open the rear cover that's glued in place. It's not easy. Don't now if heating it will make it easier, but that could cause damage, too. I'm surprised that you found replacement diaghragms. I had contacted Hiquphon, was told that they don't sell repair parts because they only sell matched pairs of drivers.

dlr
      WinPCD - Windows .NET Passive Crossover Designer

Dave's Speaker Pages

Comment

I never added a page to my web site on that because I thought that no one else would be interested in it.

dlr

Dave's Speaker Pages

Comment

Thank you for the response, well if you still have the info I’d be very interested in it. I figured the D2010 would be very similar. The diaphragms I found are on eBay, so who knows if they’re legit. I’m thinking whatever diaphragm I can find, so if there are any D2010 parts out there that might just work.

Dan

Comment

There is another option, if you can measure and design a crossover section. My original Hiquphon OW1 tweeters were blown when I was testing an early version of the digital emulator in SoundEasy (since changed to prevent that sort of accident). It was my main system at the time. I had Vifa XT-19 tweeters on hand, substituted them and had to make only small changes to the crossover. I found the XT-19 to be nearly the equivalent of the Higuphon. Close enough for me at the time. No way to know how close to a drop-in it might be for your case.

dlr

Dave's Speaker Pages

Comment

I just looked at my old Hiquphon diaphragm. Looks nothing like the one I found on ebay listed for the D20-LP-1. Unlikely that the D2008/2010 diaphragm can be substituted for a D20-LP-1. That is unless the one that I found on ebay isn't correct.

dlr

Dave's Speaker Pages

Comment

The SB Acoustics SB21RDC and SDC have a 92mm faceplate if a substitute will do. It looks like you could put a 3 or 4 ohm resistor in series with the SBs and get the same efficiency and impedance as the OW1s, so little or no crossover changes would be needed. Just a thought...
                -Bob

The PEDS 2.1 mini system
                My A7 Project - another small desktop speaker
                The B3 Hybrid Dipole - thread incomplete and outdated

Comment

Get in touch with dave ellis. Give me a call if you need a phone number for him.
                  craigk

" Voicing is often the term used for band aids to cover for initial design/planning errors " - Pallas

Comment

Those SB Acoustics look really good. But PE sells the XT19 for essentially 30% less than the lower priced 21SDC and 43% less than the 21RDC. Unless for some reason their distortion characteristics are superior, the XT19 currently is one heck of buy. Looking at the curves, including off-axis, for the 21RDC, I would guess that one is much closer to the Hiquphon. All three of these may beat the Hiquphon due to likely having much better distortion characteristics.

dlr

Dave's Speaker Pages

Comment

Originally posted by dlr View Post
                      Those SB Acoustics look really good. But PE sells the XT19 for essentially 30% less than the lower priced 21SDC and 43% less than the 21RDC. Unless for some reason their distortion characteristics are superior, the XT19 currently is one heck of buy. Looking at the curves, including off-axis, for the 21RDC, I would guess that one is much closer to the Hiquphon. All three of these may beat the Hiquphon due to likely having much better distortion characteristics.

dlr
                      I am always amazed by people that can tell me how a driver sounds by looking at squiggly lines.the Hiquphon is in a totally different class from either of the drivers you menfioned. It is apparent you have never listened to them.
                      craigk

" Voicing is often the term used for band aids to cover for initial design/planning errors " - Pallas

Comment

Originally posted by craigk View Post

I am always amazed by people that can tell me how a driver sounds by looking at squiggly lines.the Hiquphon is in a totally different class from either of the drivers you menfioned. It is apparent you have never listened to them.
                        It's not apparent, it's explicit, at least with regard to the SB ("I would guess..."), I simply stated my opinion. If you don't like that, I don't care. I did NOT tell you how a driver sounds. You need to stop inferring things that aren't there. I might find that the SB's are better (or not) if I had the opportunity to hear them. That does not change the fact that they are significantly more expensive and that the XT19 is nearly as good as the OW1 in my experience, both of which I have significant time using in a previous primary system. To reiterate, regardless of the SB qualities, the XT19 at the current price is one heck of a buy when compared to the OW1, it's almost as good, price being the key factor. I state that from experience.

dlr

Dave's Speaker Pages

Comment

Originally posted by dlr View Post
                          It's not apparent, it's explicit, at least with regard to the SB ("I would guess..."), I simply stated my opinion. If you don't like that, I don't care. I did NOT tell you how a driver sounds. You need to stop inferring things that aren't there. I might find that the SB's are better (or not) if I had the opportunity to hear them. That does not change the fact that they are significantly more expensive and that the XT19 is nearly as good as the OW1 in my experience, both of which I have significant time using in a previous primary system. To reiterate, regardless of the SB qualities, the XT19 at the current price is one heck of a buy when compared to the OW1, it's almost as good, price being the key factor. I state that from experience.

dlr
                          I think you need to read your own statement again. You still never answered the question aboit the Hiquphon, have you ever listened to one ?
                          craigk

Comment

Originally posted by craigk View Post
                            I think you need to read your own statement again. You still never answered the question aboit the Hiquphon, have you ever listened to one ?
                            I don't need to read anything of mine again. Before you make passive/aggressive comments, you should read the whole thread, specifically posts # 3,6 and 7. Even more, you need to read my post again to which you just responded.

Have I ever listened to a Hiquphon? Are you kidding me?

dlr

Dave's Speaker Pages

Comment

If that doesn't enlighten you, read through this SpeakerBuilder article of mine.

dlr

Dave's Speaker Pages

Comment

Working...
                              X