X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OT: Corona situation

Hi all,
    Sorry for not posting in a while.

Just wanted to ask you all what you are doing these days of Corona-lockdown?
    Are you sitting in your mancaves, listening to music? Or are you wandering around your houses, restlessly “working at-home”?

Hopefully, all of you are healthy corona-wise, anyway!!

Me, I was planning to visit a friend in the southern part of Sweden, helping him recap four(!) AR3a and two AR MSTs but this will have to wait until in-Sweden-travel is OK again.

All the best to you all from

//Lasse
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Perry Mason talking to his dentist:

"Do you swear to take the tooth, the whole tooth and nothing but the tooth, so help you God?"

I just saw this thread:

http://techtalk.parts-express.com/fo...ropriate/page2

Regards//lasse

"Do you swear to take the tooth, the whole tooth and nothing but the tooth, so help you God?"

Comment

Family and friends are ok so far. Shops have been almost stripped bare here to in the UK, and I haven't seen anyone wearing a mask, but that could be because you can't get them anywhere. Lucky I have a good one due to this hobby. Girlfriend is very depressed having to stay in.

Comment

American socio-economic system does not offer easy isolation, and our service economy does not have a lot of work from home options. Most of us are wondering how we pay the rent on a $12/hr job when we are working - this crisis just means 30-50 million people will potentially lose everything.
        Don't listen to me - I have not sold any $150,000 speakers.

Comment

• r-carpenter
          r-carpenter commented
          Editing a comment
          Bit of a revolution appear to be coming soon.

Originally posted by johnnyrichards View Post
        . Most of us are wondering how we pay the rent
        Banks and other mortgage lenders are beginning to offer up to 3 months of penalty free hiatus from mortgage payments. That would tend to trickle down to rents as well. The same is true with lenders for what's usually the second highest fixed expense, car payments. No one, especially financial institutions, wants to see a repeat of the housing market meltdown of 2008.

www.billfitzmaurice.com
        www.billfitzmaurice.info/forum

Comment

In a situation like this, it's a heavy decision balancing a nations physical health with its economic health, and whether under quarantine or not, the nation's economy is still going to take a hit. Imagine what an overwhelmed health care system, a loss of life for those with underlying health issues, and an ill work force will have on the economy, especially if this pandemic were left unchecked.

This is uncharted water. Never do I recall our country being in a prior situation like this, IMO not even 911 compares.

As a child I was poor as dirt, but through hard work, lots of hard work, I have a few niceties in life. I don't want to loose the things worked so hard to attain, but as long as I'm alive, and have a reason to go on (family makes it through this) I will rebuild. We can rebuild.

We can and will make it through this.
          http://techtalk.parts-express.com/fo...khanspires-but
          http://techtalk.parts-express.com/fo...pico-neo-build
          http://techtalk.parts-express.com/fo...ensation-build

Comment

My company just closed....is PE staying open? Don't think my hobby is an essential business. Seems a dangerous thing.

Comment

• r-carpenter
              r-carpenter commented
              Editing a comment
              It's not essential business.

Originally posted by Kornbread View Post
            In a situation like this, it's a heavy decision balancing a nations physical health with its economic health,
            Not really. The capacity to produce food and energy to support fairly comfortable existence is there already.
            http://www.diy-ny.com/

Comment

Hi and thanks for all the posts on the situation in, mainly, the US

Probably, the situation in Sweden isn´t very known to you so I will try to brief you all on that exciting topic….

Compared to most other European countries, Sweden has chosen to rely mostly on the individual and the personal ability to take responsibility for your own behaviour. Stay at home if you have a cold, fever or shortness of breath. After you get well, stay at home two more days. Gatherings with more than 500 people are forbidden. Do not visit your elder relatives. If you are over 70, stay at home. Help old people to buy food.

Of course, as most countries, the Swedish economy has all breaks on full power. I walked across my town, Stockholm, this morning and there are virtually no one around. All the tourists are gone, the cafés still open are empty and no one gives a sh-t about the Changing of The Guards on the Royal palace…..

We are all waiting for the number of infected people in need of treatment to rise as has been the case in Italy, Spain and other European countries. The Army has set up a few field hospitals in reserve if the ordinary hospitals would be in overload as probably will be the case in a week or so.

A result of a very large immigration to Sweden several years ago has resulted in, among other effects, that “closed communities” of people from the same country now live in suburbs around the bigger cities. They live without real contact with “real Sweden” in close quarters and in their own communities. As you realize, this means a lot of trouble in different aspects but now, related to the Corona breakout, another effect has shown itself: Almost 50% of the deceased patients in the Stockholm area are immigrants from Somalia. Probably they are un-reachable to information on self-protection.

I am in self-decided quarantine since abt a week and will probably be so for April out when me and my wife probably will go to our summer-cottage in the Stockholm archipelago.

Best regards//lasse
              Last edited by lasse; 03-24-2020, 08:01 AM.

Comment

Oh, and I forgot: Wash your hands...

Regards//lasse

Comment

I'll say it first, well maybe not first. Dan Patrick, LT Gov of Texas said it yesterday - we need to get back to work. He's 70 and is willing to take the risk in order to save the country for his grandkids. Policy is a tradeoff of safety versus survival of the economy. He said that in about two weeks, many if not most small businesses in the service sector will fail. If we wait much longer, there won't be an economy to pass on to the next generations.

If the banks (or landlords banks) are impacted, they call loans which has an effect that reaches up and down the scale from the short order cook to the bank to the securitized lender who bought the loan to the investors here or abroad. This can drive us into a long recession or even depression.

The legislators are clueless fighting over inclusion of carbon footprint offsets of the airlines, tax credits for solar and wind, same day voter registration. We will remember this moment.

Not generally in favor of bailouts but this didn't start with big business, it started with my favorite Latin restaurant closing and yours. The bailout needs to reach the employers and employees and fast. If it's watered down with $300M to the National Endowment for the Arts (really it's in there, read it) it will fail. If the stimulus package is too small or watered down, it will fail and will be a waste of money, time and confidence. It needs to be big to succeed, it needs to inspire the confidence of the employers, employees and especially investors. If investors hunker down, pull back or push offshore, we'll see the same effects as the 2008 recession. Let's go back to work, limit international travel for a while, don't shake hands, stay home if your sick, don't be stupid.

Comment

• martyh
                    martyh commented
                    Editing a comment
                    This will open up the political can of worms, but if the Lt. Governor is intent on sending people to their death perhaps he should get a job as a hospital custodian.

This is what´s going on in England:

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/n...home-6rjwndr0c

Watch the video with Boris.

Regards//lasse

Comment

Originally posted by dwigle View Post

The legislators are clueless fighting over inclusion of carbon footprint offsets of the airlines, tax credits for solar and wind, same day voter registration. We will remember this moment.
                    I agree!
                    Craig

The lowest possible F3 box alignment is not always the best alignment.

Designing and building speaker projects are like playing with adult Lego Blocks for me.

Comment

If the virus gets totally out of control, there won't be anyone around to need the economy functioning. Don't kid yourselves. Let's get our priorities straight.

Comment

• r-carpenter
                        r-carpenter commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Based on existing mathematical models, we are going in to hsit show full blast. Unless there's a magic antiviral, times will be hard.
                        https://covidactnow.org/

Couple of things.
                      As far as the fight for the budget, I believe it's for a good reason. If the money are funneled to large corporations without legal obligations, it will be like 2008 except much much worse.
                      Economy is already collapsed and we are going in to strong recession for at list a year. Just prepare yourselves and plan accordingly. Luxury goods, overpriced real-estate market it's all going down the drain. Food growers and processors are going to become much more important. Look at what is considered "essential" now and make your own conclusions.
                      This idea that we will come out of this pandemic in the next couple of weeks is utterly irresponsible.
                      LT Gov of Texas is a public servant. It is his job to go and work in the time of crisis. Firefighters, cops and doctors are also public servants.
                      However, speaking of Texas
                      https://covidactnow.org/state/TX
                      I am going to keep my business open for as I can and hopefully the ability to manufacture physical goods will help.
                      http://www.diy-ny.com/

Comment

Working...
                      X