No announcement yet.

OT: Corona situation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The virus doesn't care about our politics or personal beliefs. It's not going to stop to listen to a Bernie Bro, it's not going to ask you to crank up the volume on Rush Limbaugh.

Comment

A note on how different doctors work.
      Friend of mine works in Mount Sinai in NYC. She works 18 hour days, no weekends. The conditions are becoming catastrophic. My friends son is a physician in one of the hospitals in Texas. Same story.
      On the other hand, family doctor who takes care about my elderly parents, took 3 weeks of and left NY in the midst of pandemic. I think, this is the sort of thing that will be remembered.
      http://www.diy-ny.com/

Comment

https://pagesix.com/2020/03/27/hampt...175.1577464821

https://apnews.com/8436f34641f6e516179647c11b9a13e8

Comment

Originally posted by dwigle View Post
          The mega churches in my town are following the law or guidelines. If others aren't, they should. My friend's son text him a photo of a packed irish pub somewhere on Long Island Tuesday nigdespicableht. I'm not bashing the Irish but come on, get with the program so we can get back to work.

djg, these NYorkers in the article are despicable.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ZKlffc453Y&t=3218s

Last edited by r-carpenter; 03-28-2020, 09:32 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by johnnyrichards View Post
            Right now, near as I can tell, it isn't just the kids refusing to shelter in place. Churches and their leaders are encouraging attendence. Talk about packing high risk into a single space.

Stay home if you can. My co-workers had a virtual happy hour today - it was fun. Church is broadcast on TV, radio, internet. Did you know there is a free streaming channel that is all Three Stooges, all the time?
            Would that be Fox News?

Comment

Originally posted by Squidspeak View Post
              Would that be Fox News?
              No it was CNN
              craigk

" Voicing is often the term used for band aids to cover for initial design/planning errors " - Pallas

Comment

Here in Oz we're now on a 'Stage Three' isolation footing, but there are silly and potentially dangerous messages and policies in effect. For example, people are still allowed to go to hairdressers, but not allowed to meet inside or outside in 'groups of more than two'. I'm not sure how the hairdresser cuts your hair from 1.5 metres away?!

Our national government is advising children to go to school, but state governments (which are responsible for primary and secondary education) disagree, have introduced early school holidays and closed school campus operations. Then, last weekend, hundreds of bods flocked to beaches in NSW and Victoria in defiance of medical advice and common sense, resulting in more restrictions.

We're staying in, listening to good music and shopping only when necessary. Yesterday our street had a 'driveway party' where people sat in their driveways (obviously), well away from each other, and had shouting and sign language conversations. It raised everyone's spirits.

Geoff

Comment

I am not sure whether to look forward to or dread
                  a resurgence of mime,
                  but sign language would be useful in noisy places
                  when 'socially distant'.

Comment

Originally posted by davidB View Post
                    I am not sure whether to look forward to or dread
                    a resurgence of mime,
                    but sign language would be useful in noisy places
                    when 'socially distant'.
                    Not real sign language, of course...

Now that there's a $1,000 fine for a group of more than two people we may have to stop it anyway.

Geoff

Comment

[QUOTE Yesterday our street had a 'driveway party' where people sat in their driveways (obviously), well away from each other, and had shouting and sign language conversations. It raised everyone's spirits.

Geoff[/QUOTE]

Lol ... this is awesome. I'd bet the shouting was especially therapeutic!

Comment

Hi all,

Being the one who started this thread,
                        And thanks to the moderators, allowing it to be active,
                        I would like to share the latest evidence that the Swedes are just plain silly!

This whole affair, with the pandemic in Europe, started with a lot of people going to the Italian and Austrian mountains to go skiing in March. Before that, the ski resorts had a lot of Chinese tourist, bringing with them the virus to Europe. Not their fault. They didn´t know.

The skiers from the rest of Europe contracted the virus and brought it with them back home. Not their fault. They didn´t know. (but actually, there was some warning signs…)

Now, we have a full-blown pandemic on our hands (and lungs) and the people in Sweden, and especially from Stockholm, the epi-centre of the Swedish spreading of the virus, are on their way to: GO SKIING!!!????

Yes, Easter leave is approaching and the ski resorts in Sweden are all open without restrictions. Some mild “advice” on the after-ski-partying and restrictions against buffet serving is in place but, apart from that, “Advise” from the authorities saying that “we advise against leaving Stockholm”

In abt two weeks, thousands of Stockholmers will be in their cars, heading north for the small ski resorts, some getting sick from the virus and needing hospital treatment in communities with very slim healthcare-resources and also spreading the virus in innumerable new encounters.

This could only happen in Sweden!!

Regards//lasse
                        Stockholm, Sweden
                        Perry Mason talking to his dentist:

"Do you swear to take the tooth, the whole tooth and nothing but the tooth, so help you God?"

Comment

PO lasse! "This could only happen in Sweden!!"
                          The thousands of Stockholmers are not Swedes, they are Stockholmers! And they don´t care a **** about the rest of Sweden.
                          "Now, we have a full-blown pandemic ...in Sweden..." No we don´t. We have a growing situation in Sweden and certainly in the highly populated areas like Stockholm, Gothenburg and some more areas.
                          lasse, don´t spread lies!
                          P.S. The largest ski resort company has volontary closed their places. That´s how it works in Sweden!

Comment

I think it's fair to say at this point: The world have changed. I am not sure which way old socioeconomic paradigms will change but they will change drastically.

Comment

Originally posted by r-carpenter View Post
                              I think it's fair to say at this point: The world have changed. I am not sure which way old socioeconomic paradigms will change but they will change drastically.
                              Agree.....
                              "We are just statistics, born to consume resources."
                              ~Horace~, 65-8 BC

Comment

i work at a Hardware store that is considered essential just north of austin,tx. while austin has a more strict program for distancing the city im in doesn't have that in place, simply what the county has in place. that said i have never seen it so busy in my life at my store, not even BF or any other holiday compare. how bad is it you ask, 3 days straight at my store from 6am to 6pm customer service desk is non stop. we barely get to take lunches, we dont even get to take a breaks that is how bad it is for US. the paint area has made more money in the past week then it does in some popular months. we talk about social distancing but how is it distancing if everyone is constantly going to some place that in all reality isn't essential. no matter how people try to justify it or tell me about it, im not sure how a hardware store is essential in a viral outbreak. the thing about some big companies like the one i work for, to keep people showing up after they have use extra sick time in case we did get covid. they are now paying use more money for the hours we work so part time get X amount full time get a larger X amount. if you work over time it is now double time not time and a half. even if my store was closed the company would pay us based on our schedule that is made out.

If anything i think larger companies are going to be able to weather this easier then small mom/pop places. we wont be able to stop anything if we really cant stay in place, i have seen more people walking/running then i ever have. i know people need something to do with no school/work, learn a new skill/read some books, there is plenty of other things to do in a lock down. any "cure" the us comes up with is going to take to long to come out, to much red tape. i get the wanting to have safe drugs to cure this, but how is it one company already stated they have a cure(theirs does this by targeting the viruses dna) but need to get through trails and alot of red tape. sigh...

Comment

Working...
                                X