MidWestAudioFest DIY Competition Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MidWestAudioFest DIY Competition Questions

I'm guessing a lot is subject to change depending on the general setup/distances and music choices and judges' preferences, but does anyone happen to know (or even have just a rough estimate from experience) how loud the MWAF DIY competition's music levels are?
    For example, are the judges looking for an average around 85db at their seats at roughly 12ft away, or is the target average louder/softer and are the judges usually nearer/farther?

I've searched a few times but haven't found any solid answers. I did find some talk about the volume (and low frequencies in a particular song) putting the hurt on some of the smaller builds a few years back, so I'm hoping to avoid building something that'll potentially start a tiny fire.

Also, will MWAF dates likely be postponed or canceled due to recent events or is that too far away to predict? From the lack of anything like that being mentioned on the official site and here so far I'm guessing it's currently a "wait and see" scenario, but I figured asking shouldn't hurt.

IMO, you should spec for your build to be 100dB/1m operable. If it cannot sustain this, then in the larger room the drivers will sound stressed. I've had 95dB/1m max operating speakers complain pretty loudly at MWAF, so that is kind of my benchmark. As for listening nominal level, I'd wager they shoot for average 75-80dB (usually) at about 9 feet.

I'd say wait and see on the last part. Nothing has even been hinted at, and we don't even know if this virus will taper off come summer. I'm no expert, but this is a new plague for all of us including medical staff.

Later,
    Wolf
    "Wolf, you shall now be known as "King of the Zip ties." -Pete00t
    "Wolf and speakers equivalent to Picasso and 'Blue'" -dantheman
    "He is a true ambassador for this forum and speaker DIY in general." -Ed Froste
    "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:
    http://photobucket.com/Wolf-Speakers_and_more

My blog/writeups/thoughts here at PE:
    http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102

Comment

Originally posted by Wolf View Post
      IMO, you should spec for your build to be 100dB/1m operable. If it cannot sustain this, then in the larger room the drivers will sound stressed. I've had 95dB/1m max operating speakers complain pretty loudly at MWAF, so that is kind of my benchmark. As for listening nominal level, I'd wager they shoot for average 75-80dB (usually) at about 9 feet.
      Maybe a dumb question because that sounds pretty clear, like a 100db/1m suggestion best thought of like the hypothetical box measures that way after BSC (with BSC bass frequencies sustaining closer to 106db in halfspace), or do you think a peak 100db/1m baffle-step with the mids/highs closer to 94-96db should work fine?
      Thanks, by the way.

Comment

Measured output, as the BSC/bass might not actually be metered in the test-tone used to set the levels.
        Later,
        Wolf
        "Wolf, you shall now be known as "King of the Zip ties." -Pete00t
        "Wolf and speakers equivalent to Picasso and 'Blue'" -dantheman
        "He is a true ambassador for this forum and speaker DIY in general." -Ed Froste
        "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:
        http://photobucket.com/Wolf-Speakers_and_more

My blog/writeups/thoughts here at PE:
        http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102

Comment

They bumped the level to like 83 dB at the judge's table last year (2019) to stress the speakers more. That is almost 2 meters. I think that was another Vance idea. That was the first time I got a "seemed stressed" comment. My entries were single 6.5 inch woofers designed for 100 dB
          John H

Synergy Horn, SLS-85, BMR-3L, Mini-TL, BR-2, Titan OB, B452, Udique, Vultus, Latus1, Seriatim, Aperivox,Pencil Tower

Comment

Working...
          X