Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tweeter Horn to Standard Tweeter an option (or name a better option)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tweeter Horn to Standard Tweeter an option (or name a better option)

These are main church speakers for the congregation, mounted on the ceiling with the attached template example. One sub 10" and a Horn 10x3 I believe with two ports (roughly 3" I think). One big air space inside the box. It's comically running off 100w amp that comes from a mixer board (1/4" plug to amp then RCA to speaker) and led to the speakers and connected with sub grade basic speaker wire (16/18 gauge). I haven't taken the guts of the box out and I can't tell how it's mounted to the ceiling yet.

The speakers never sounded great and one of the horns is now shot.

Given the insert and wiring doesn't change, whats the recommendation on replacing the horn verse going over to round tweeters? What does this do from the increased (square) air port size? Is it a feasible temp solution or just get another cheap horn? --- Either way ... best options?

The church has a snake in the floor that could be tapped from the sound booth and could potentially run wires to the speakers up front from the snake in the floor (we have music monitors and mics using some of the floor connections). Given we juice it up with a solid amp, tap the snake from the main feed and then new cables to a connection on the back of the speaker ... what's your thoughts on a speaker tweeter setup without changing the box?

Cone and dome tweeters do not have the required sensitivity for PA. Open the speakers up and take detailed pictures of the drivers and crossovers and post those so we can see them, otherwise a recommendation isn't possible.
    www.billfitzmaurice.com
    www.billfitzmaurice.info/forum

Comment

What Bill said. Also, tell us your budget.
      Francis

Comment

Originally posted by John235
        Installing tweeters in your doors will give you better stereo imaging and raise the soundstage in your car. Here, we describe your options for mounting tweeters.
        Figure we're talking a mobile church here?
        Francis

Comment

Originally posted by fpitas View Post

Figure we're talking a mobile church here?
          It's spam.
          www.billfitzmaurice.com

Comment

• AWOsRadio
            AWOsRadio commented
            Editing a comment
            thanks for the heads up.

Originally posted by AWOsRadio View Post
          These are main church speakers for the congregation, mounted on the ceiling with the attached template example. One sub 10" and a Horn 10x3 I believe with two ports (roughly 3" I think). One big air space inside the box. It's comically running off 100w amp that comes from a mixer board (1/4" plug to amp then RCA to speaker) and led to the speakers and connected with sub grade basic speaker wire (16/18 gauge). I haven't taken the guts of the box out and I can't tell how it's mounted to the ceiling yet.

The speakers never sounded great and one of the horns is now shot.

Given the insert and wiring doesn't change, whats the recommendation on replacing the horn verse going over to round tweeters? What does this do from the increased (square) air port size? Is it a feasible temp solution or just get another cheap horn? --- Either way ... best options?

The church has a snake in the floor that could be tapped from the sound booth and could potentially run wires to the speakers up front from the snake in the floor (we have music monitors and mics using some of the floor connections). Given we juice it up with a solid amp, tap the snake from the main feed and then new cables to a connection on the back of the speaker ... what's your thoughts on a speaker tweeter setup without changing the box?
          Just a few comments from your initial post.

The larger woofer is technically not a sub, but most likely a "Pro" sound high sensitivity woofer that will provide loud volume. Basically a Pa speaker most likely.
          The 100 watt amp should be plenty, depending on church size and overall volume.

Need pics of internals of speaker and crossover. And internal dimensions of box.

Comment

• AWOsRadio
            AWOsRadio commented
            Editing a comment
            Understood and yes you're correct on that.

Originally posted by billfitzmaurice View Post

It's spam.
          99% sure you're right. Just on the off chance someone made a bizarre first post though, figured I'd ask.
          Francis

Comment

It's obvious spam when a first time poster pastes an obviously copied response that has little to no relevance to the topic at hand. This one wasn't even smart enough to put in a link to whatever he was peddling. I guess even spam sources can't find good help these days.
            www.billfitzmaurice.com

Comment

Originally posted by billfitzmaurice View Post
              It's obvious spam when a first time poster pastes an obviously copied response that has little to no relevance to the topic at hand. This one wasn't even smart enough to put in a link to whatever he was peddling. I guess even spam sources can't find good help these days.
              I *think* they got smart and won't let noobs post links for a while.
              Francis

Comment

Not smart enough to block them from joining.
                www.billfitzmaurice.com

Comment

My guess is that the horn is not properly filtered, so the speaker has a midrange peak that probably sounds pretty bad.

As the others said, more information is required.
                  Brian Steele
                  www.diysubwoofers.org

Comment

• AWOsRadio
                    AWOsRadio commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Although the speakers didn't have great quality to begin with, there is a dramatic difference in the left and right side high range frequencies. I doubt there is a proper filter either.

Originally posted by Brian Steele View Post
                  My guess is that the horn is not properly filtered, so the speaker has a midrange peak that probably sounds pretty bad.

As the others said, more information is required.
                  Yeah, some flat front horns are mainly good as noise makers, but a few null filters might make them less strident.
                  Francis

Comment

Op mia.

Comment

Originally posted by djg View Post
                      Op mia.
                      Maybe decided to buy some cheap Behringers etc. instead of playing amateur audio engineer. Which is probably the right move.
                      Francis

Comment

He could be watching without logging in.

Comment

Working...
                        X