Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sealed design question re f3

Hi there,

I'm attempting a 2.5 way and had in mind a particular danish 5.25" driver meant for sealed alignment(not sure if I am allowed to post non PE drivers).

The f3 is 60hz - with an inductor with dcr of 0.5r it looks like a 55hz f3 is achievable. 40hz f6. Wd this be an acceptable bass response for a sealed design?

Extremely acceptable bass.
    Don't listen to me - I have not sold any $150,000 speakers.

Comment

Brilliant, thank you. I cdnt decide between the 2 doped 8ohm versions of this driver. Ie low qts ported or high qts sealed.

Comment

You can post about non-PE drivers, just don’t link to retail competitor websites. I believe you can even link manufacturer websites, Just not to a place you can buy them.

Which driver are you using out of curiosity? That is a good sealed f3 for a small driver.

Comment

Scan Rev 15w/8530K01

This is the smaller magnet version. Can hit 55hz f3 with slightly lossy inductor. I dont want to push it further, sensitivity is low as it is.. cabinet around 24 litres ( 2 drivers)

Comment

You will be impressed at how deep and "complete" a 55hz F3 in a sealed alignment will sound.
            Don't listen to me - I have not sold any $150,000 speakers.

Comment

Thanks Johnny, I'm sold on it now and the simplicity of cabinet too..

Comment

It sounds to me like you will be hearing some nice bass notes. What Qtc factor are you targeting?

Comment

I agree with Johnny, in fact I've used that exact driver in 9L sealed and the bass was phenomenal. You may actually want to go a little smaller with the cab, sacrificing a couple Hz on the F3 for a dB or so just above it.
                  Attached Files
                  The Hurricanes
                  The Baronettes
                  Conneccentric
                  UX3

Comment

Hi Billet, thanks! qtc is coming out around 0.65 if I remember correctly, in 12 L per driver inc inductor values.

DanP thanks for reply, v curious about your last sentence! and beautiful speakers btw. SB tweet?

Comment

Dan P ah yes I see your box size is exactly optimum Q.

Comment

I did a design a few years ago with a Dynaudio 17W75 in a 12 L sealed enclosure. The modeled F3 was only in the mid 60's but they sounded much better bass-wise than I expected.
                        Craig

The lowest possible F3 box alignment is not always the best alignment.

Designing and building speaker projects are like playing with adult Lego Blocks for me.

Comment

Originally posted by bill poster View Post
                          Dan P ah yes I see your box size is exactly optimum Q.
                          Measured Qts was higher than advertised and measured Qtc came out to around .8-.85, which I find ideal with smaller drivers and a highish F3. The slight bump before rolloff gives the impression of a much more capable bass driver.
                          The Hurricanes
                          The Baronettes
                          Conneccentric
                          UX3

Comment

I agree that a little higher Qtc on the woofer can really help a smaller driver. I have also had good luck with a modeled Qtc around 0.8 or even a little higher. F3 is just one point on the graph.

Comment

As a 2.5 way, this certainly looks to be v compact!

Comment

Working...
                              X