X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Goldwood Subwoofer Bargain

Just ran across this

https://www.parts-express.com/goldwo...-coil--299-524

Looks like it can reach pretty low in a not so big vented box. Any cause for concerns?
    // WWW.JONCON.NET

// SPEEDSTERS - Concrete over 3D Print Build Thread

I think Goldwood tends to exaggerate some specs or provide inaccurate ones in some situations, but I could be wrong about this....mostly I'd recommend thinking of them as 40-60watt woofers rather than their claimed 400watt peak both for voicecoil melting reasons over longer playing and because I'm pretty sure giving them 120+watts of deep bass for even short bursts could cause mechanical failure.
    The price makes them look like a fun project if you're fine with the ~2ft+cu box size and either 2ohm or 8ohm load on your amp.

Comment

I think for the price they would be fun to mess around with.

Two of them wired in series (4 ohm) for under $18 in a isobaric clamshell configuration vented might perform decently in a reasonably sized box.
      Efficiency is pretty high, you could experiment with adding some weight for mass loading...
      ...just pondering of course.

TomZ
      *Veneering curves, seams, using heat-lock iron on method *Trimming veneer & tips *Curved Sides glue-up video
      *Part 2 *Gluing multiple curved laminations of HDF *Cello's Speaker Project Page

*Building the "Micro-B 2.1 Plate Amplifier -- Part 1 * Part 2 * Part 3 * Part 4 * * Part 5 'Review' * -- Assembly Instructions PDF

Comment

Thinking the same as Tom.

Looks like another candidate for a cheap a$$ ISO sub, like the GRS 10" but even cheaper. A clam shell could cut that recommended box in half for the same F3, 26Hz in a 1.3 cu ft sounds nice.
        Electronics engineer, woofer enthusiast, and musician.
        Wogg Music
        Published projects: PPA100 Bass Guitar Amp, ISO El-Cheapo Sub, Indy 8 2.1 powered sub, MicroSat, SuperNova Minimus

Comment

Not an expert in WinISD so no guarantees this is accurate, but this is the transfer function for sealed 1.4 cubic feet and vented 2.6 cf (per PE's recommendations). One driver, not two.
          I believe peak power is usually a technical spec on when something bad happens (voicecoil melts or something), these slightly exceed x-max with 25 watts.
          Maybe wire 2 in series with a PE 70 watt or 100 watt plate amp...

Comment

Thanks guys. I was thinking this was a good candidate for messing around with. I have an old Dayton DTA100 stereo amp that I thought could power two of these fed with a low pass sub signal from a receiver.
            // WWW.JONCON.NET

Comment

Originally posted by a4eaudio View Post
              Not an expert in WinISD so no guarantees this is accurate, but this is the transfer function for sealed 1.4 cubic feet and vented 2.6 cf (per PE's recommendations). One driver, not two.
              I believe peak power is usually a technical spec on when something bad happens (voicecoil melts or something), these slightly exceed x-max with 25 watts.
              I bought 2 just to mess around. I think I will do an isobaric cone to cone config in a 8" concrete form and stick it under the couch. Super cheap and hope it works out. Question regarding the wattage. I gutted an old sub for its amplifier. There are no obvious markings on it but it seems fairly beefy. Is there a way to determine its power output?
              Attached Files
              // WWW.JONCON.NET

Comment

Strap a known resistance across the speaker leads and measure the voltage across the load. Then you can approximate the power.

Comment

Guy could build a pretty inexpensive distributed bass system using these. Two isobaric loaded per cabinet, eight cabinets, cheap pro audio amp. 16 drivers, some particle board shelving from Menards, any number of Behringer options for watts.
                  Don't listen to me - I have not sold any $150,000 speakers.

Comment

Originally posted by a4eaudio View Post
                    For the vented calc, do you know what size port is being used?
                    // WWW.JONCON.NET

Comment

The 2.6 cubic feet was for one driver, so if you doubled them up then the tuning would change.

2.0" diameter x 3.75" long (chuffing might be a problem here)
                      2.5" x 6.25" or
                      3.0" x 9.5"

Note, I'm just getting results from WinISD but don't know if this is a particularly good box model. Others are much more experienced than me and hopefully will chime in if there are obvious better alternative box options.

Comment

Has anyone purchased/received any of these and taken T/S measurements yet? It's hard for me to get too excited about gold wood products, especially buyout gold wood products LOL.
                        Craig

The lowest possible F3 box alignment is not always the best alignment.

Designing and building speaker projects are like playing with adult Lego Blocks for me.

Comment

Originally posted by PWR RYD View Post
                          Has anyone purchased/received any of these and taken T/S measurements yet? It's hard for me to get too excited about gold wood products, especially buyout gold wood products LOL.
                          I have to wonder how good the quality control is. So, even if one example measures well, do the rest?
                          Francis

Comment

Agreed.
                            Craig

The lowest possible F3 box alignment is not always the best alignment.

Designing and building speaker projects are like playing with adult Lego Blocks for me.

Comment

You guys are taking all the fun out of wild speculation over potentially dubious published T/S parameters
                              Electronics engineer, woofer enthusiast, and musician.
                              Wogg Music
                              Published projects: PPA100 Bass Guitar Amp, ISO El-Cheapo Sub, Indy 8 2.1 powered sub, MicroSat, SuperNova Minimus

Comment

Working...
                              X