X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Kered
    Been Around Awhile
    • May 2017

TV arc converter

You can find hundreds of arc audio strippers, but I have never saw an arc converter. If you have a tv that has an arc hdmi input you could easily hook up a stereo amp or powered speakers and use your own tv remote to control the volume. This could be a very simple setup to add speakers to a tv.

That being said, just like anything else you buy from Aliexpress, caveat emptor. This thing could be a POS.

PE if you are reading this please stock something like this, it could be very useful to many people and add another use case for a pair of MK402BTX's.

Online Shopping at a cheapest price for Automotive, Phones & Accessories, Computers & Electronics, Fashion, Beauty & Health, Home & Garden, Toys & Sports, Weddings & Events and more; just about anything else Enjoy ✓Free Shipping Worldwide! ✓Limited Time Sale ✓Easy Return.
  • tomzarbo
    Seasoned Veteran
    • Jan 2006

Interesting. Most TV's these days do not seem to have audio output, and it's a shame because many flat panels have kind of lousy sound... or at least a weird resonance on a specific frequency range where something starts buzzing badly. I have to use the output from my cable box and connect that to a small amp and speakers if I want better sound, but don't necessarily want to turn on the whole surround sound package.

I agree, this would fit right in with the kinds of stuff PE has that makes them unique. But they need to give a real good explanation of what it does, 'cause I'm not really sure myself!

TomZ
    Zarbo Audio Projects Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEZ...aFQSTl6NdOwgxQ * 320-641 Amp Review Youtube: https://youtu.be/ugjfcI5p6m0 *Veneering curves, seams, using heat-lock iron on method *Trimming veneer & tips *Curved Sides glue-up video
    *Part 2 *Gluing multiple curved laminations of HDF

Comment

• Millstonemike
      Seasoned Veteran
      • Nov 2012

Originally posted by tomzarbo
      Interesting. Most TV's these days do not seem to have audio output, and it's a shame because many flat panels have kind of lousy sound... or at least a weird resonance on a specific frequency range where something starts buzzing badly. I have to use the output from my cable box and connect that to a small amp and speakers if I want better sound, but don't necessarily want to turn on the whole surround sound package.

I agree, this would fit right in with the kinds of stuff PE has that makes them unique. But they need to give a real good explanation of what it does, 'cause I'm not really sure myself!

TomZ
      In my office/man-cave, I had one spot for a 42 " flat panel. No L-R RCA out; only HT optical out. So I promptly opened it up, found the audio power to the internal speakers, and inserted 3.5M jack. Plug in the jack, the internal speakers are disconnected and the internal amp is driving external speakers. Been going strong like that for ~10 years.

Comment

• Kered
        Been Around Awhile
        • May 2017

Originally posted by Millstonemike

In my office/man-cave, I had one spot for a 42 " flat panel. No L-R RCA out; only HT optical out. So I promptly opened it up, found the audio power to the internal speakers, and inserted 3.5M jack. Plug in the jack, the internal speakers are disconnected and the internal amp is driving external speakers. Been going strong like that for ~10 years.
        I always wondered if you could do that, but assumed that any amp in a tv would be very low powered and low quality. I have some passive aggressive speakers going in the bedroom but would a tv amp be able to power them sufficiently?

Comment

• Kered
          Been Around Awhile
          • May 2017

Originally posted by tomzarbo

TomZ
          This device would add an L-R rca out that would be would be attenuated thru you tv remote. It works in the same way as when you use a tv's arc hdmi port to control volume and send audio to your avr or hdmi equipped soundbar.

Comment

• Kered
            Been Around Awhile
            • May 2017

Most tv's have an arc (audio return channel) hdmi now. Someone should really make a small amp with this functionally now for people that do not want a full sized receiver. Many soundbars have this now so it can't be that hard or expensive to implement. No one wants to have to use 2 remotes for tv and amp.

Comment

• tomzarbo
              Seasoned Veteran
              • Jan 2006

Originally posted by Millstonemike

Great solution... but you have to be brave to spoil the warranty if it's a new TV.

TomZ
              Zarbo Audio Projects Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEZ...aFQSTl6NdOwgxQ * 320-641 Amp Review Youtube: https://youtu.be/ugjfcI5p6m0 *Veneering curves, seams, using heat-lock iron on method *Trimming veneer & tips *Curved Sides glue-up video
              *Part 2 *Gluing multiple curved laminations of HDF

Comment

• Millstonemike
                Seasoned Veteran
                • Nov 2012

Originally posted by Kered

I always wondered if you could do that, but assumed that any amp in a tv would be very low powered and low quality. I have some passive aggressive speakers going in the bedroom but would a tv amp be able to power them sufficiently?
                Given the state of electronic components, you really wont get "bad" sound out of the stock TV amp. The signal is first rate and the chip amps have fairly good THD spec.'s. It not like days or yore with 19" tube TVs.

And while power out may be limited, I wasn't striving for an HT solution. The external full range cubes I used get more than loud enough. My motivation was my failing hearing. I couldn't pick up any dialog from the TV's internal down firing speakers. The reflected sound is the problem.

Comment

• Kered
                  Been Around Awhile
                  • May 2017

Same problem here. I can hear it but not understand. Sent from my moto g(6) play using Tapatalk

Comment

• Kered
                    Been Around Awhile
                    • May 2017

That's what got me into diy speakers. I was having a hard time with tv dialog. We purchased an Onkyo soundbase model such and such. It was so bad I went searching for a better alternative. Sent from my moto g(6) play using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...