Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Making Router Templates, Guides and forms . . .

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Making Router Templates, Guides and forms . . .

Has anyone seen an ADJUSTABLE router template guide for cutting rectangles and squares like this:

Click image for larger version

Name:	AdjustableRouterTemplate.png
Views:	203
Size:	650.2 KB
ID:	1436166

I really like the concept but it is way too material and labor intensive to make them for each and every hole-size needed.

https://www.google.com/search?q=adju...e=UTF-8&inm=vs

a simple Google search will yield numerous results for both commercially produced and homemade adjustable router templates. I find it drilling a few pocket holes on some scrap wood it's definitely worth the savings over commercially-produced templates. In fact I've even reused my template multiple times before the pocket screws drilled too many holes in the edge making it unusable.

Comment

Bwahahahahaha!

It is almost like Titmas around here . . .

Thanks.

Comment

I had a use for doing his recently as well. I had not made one before… I just cut and glued it one evening and had it for the next day. It probably took 5 minutes with some scrap wood. But I was already thinking about ways to make it more efficient as well.

Comment

The one in the picture IS adjustable. You loosen the screws, move the arms around until you get the new size, then tighten the screws again.

Comment

This is probably one of the first ones that ever came out. It was the first one I ever saw anyway. Beware - it ain't cheap! https://www.mobilesolutions-usa.com/...12-router-tool There are likely cheaper options out there.

When I did the openings in my worktable for my router plates, I double-sided taped wood scraps into place. It was quick and easy.

Comment

Originally posted by pecker View Post
              The one in the picture IS adjustable. You loosen the screws, move the arms around until you get the new size, then tighten the screws again.
              You have to redrill the holes. It isn't an easily adjusted guide that can be used quickly.

Comment

Originally posted by Dukk View Post
                This is probably one of the first ones that ever came out. It was the first one I ever saw anyway. Beware - it ain't cheap! https://www.mobilesolutions-usa.com/...12-router-tool There are likely cheaper options out there.

When I did the openings in my worktable for my router plates, I double-sided taped wood scraps into place. It was quick and easy.
                That. Is. NOT. Cheap. (For sure!).

I just got 3 rolls of woodworkers double-sided-tape delivered via Amazon yesterday so I'll give that a try.

I went looking for suitable 3/4" scrap wood in my shop and I found an entire box of solid 3" wide Maple T&G flooring that was left over from a job I did around 12 years ago! (Under a pile of saw milled Walnut lumber).

Looks like I have plenty of hardwood stock for making stuff now.

Comment

do you have a 3d printer? i made a couple for my mini build of the entire faceplate, double sided taped it down and ran around with a flush cut bit with bearing on the top.

Or i just make one out of wood like your first photo, but a bit cruded looking

Comment

The fist pic is a work of art, but it is thick. I've been using 1/2" or 5/8" material.
                    For a quick rectangle I make to saw cuts on the table-saw, square that up and glue in a scrap piece in the end.

Comment

Originally posted by 3rutu5 View Post
                      do you have a 3d printer? i made a couple for my mini build of the entire faceplate, double sided taped it down and ran around with a flush cut bit with bearing on the top.

Or i just make one out of wood like your first photo, but a bit cruded looking
                      Nope, don't have a 3D printer but would love to own one - any suggestions on this subject?

What about software?

Sometimes it's just faster and easier to make stuff by hand and a lot cheaper as well.

We apply the tools we know the best . . .

Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by HIFY GUY View Post
                        The fist pic is a work of art, but it is thick. I've been using 1/2" or 5/8" material.
                        For a quick rectangle I make to saw cuts on the table-saw, square that up and glue in a scrap piece in the end.

I was thinking about just cutting templates out of thin hardboard with a jig-saw then finish sanding the edges but that takes a lot of time and is easily messed-up.
                        A laser printer would be the "cat's meow" for this work, wouldn't it?

Just need a good fire extinguisher handy in the shop and smoke evacuation system . . .

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Lee View Post

Nope, don't have a 3D printer but would love to own one - any suggestions on this subject?

What about software?

Sometimes it's just faster and easier to make stuff by hand and a lot cheaper as well.

We apply the tools we know the best . . .

Thanks.
                          I recently bought an ender 3, which was a budget one, the slicer program is free (using cura), you can use Autodesk fusion 360 which there is a free version of but.i use AutoCAD as I have a licence for my job. There are a few free design packages

Downside is size is restricted to 200*200*200mm on mine and prints take hours, when doing it by hand may take 15-30mims depending on the complexity

Comment

Comment

I like it.

Thanks, David.

Comment

Working...
                              X