Jeff Bagby Tribute

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Wolf View Post

If you need original RS28A- hit me up...
    Wolf
    PM sent.

Comment

Originally posted by djg View Post
      I was going to build a pair of Continuums in the original Maple style, but maybe this instead. Or both, WTH?
      This will be a stand-mounted 3-way if that helps.

Comment

• djg
        djg commented
        Editing a comment
        Thank you. Yes, I don't really have anywhere to use a pair of 3 ways.

As I work on this design I'm wondering if Jeff had any particular preferences regarding crossover parts?

Comment

Not really, to my knowledge, but here is some food for thought:
        - He favored the use of laminated cores for the cost, DCR, and size reduction. They are in the Continuum, Mandolin, and Piccolo for lowpass sections.
        - The Kairos have Solen Perfect Lay standard or Heptalitz coils and SoniCaps as the kit presented them initially, but the parts Jeff actually used weren't so snazzy.
        - He typically just used plain sandcast resistors, or Lynk types, because that is what he had or was sent to him.
        - Caps, as long as they were film/poly he usually showed no preference. I know he had large AXON, Solen, Erse types for mid HP use, and was happy about finding a RELcap from a rewrapped buyout somewhere at one point. He and Dave Elledge talked about that kind of thing before/more-than He/I did unless regarding to my usage of them. He had a bag of Cebo caps to try out last I was down there.

I think the person you should ask is Seth Horton (s7horton). He built the Spirit Winds that Jeff loved. If anyone knew of a preference, that would have been the pair that showed what they were. Seth built those to Jeff's order. To be able to contact him, I know he built Jed's stuff at one point too, and he lives in GR, MI. He might post on here periodically. I do not have his contact info.

I've never known him to use more than say an AudioCap Theta as a bypass on his David Towers, in terms of premium parts.

Later,
        Wolf
        "Wolf, you shall now be known as "King of the Zip ties." -Pete00t
        "Wolf and speakers equivalent to Picasso and 'Blue'" -dantheman
        "He is a true ambassador for this forum and speaker DIY in general." -Ed Froste
        "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:
        http://photobucket.com/Wolf-Speakers_and_more

My blog/writeups/thoughts here at PE:
        http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102

Comment

Ben do you know what he put in the Helios design? I really thought that was about as transparent a sound as I've heard.

Comment

Javad would know, as he put them together. Agreed- those were very clean all around.
            Later,
            Wolf
            "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:

Comment

From Dave Elledge:
              "Jeff was not a boutique parts guy. Stolen caps; Erse, Meniscus and Madisound coils; wire wound and Lynk resistors. He was a master of topology..."

Basically what I said,
              Wolf

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:

Comment

Javad would know, as he put them together. Agreed- those were very clean all around.
                Later,
                Wolf
                See below for the Helios Crossovers I built. We splurged as Jeff felt this was one of his best designs and state of the art, so no expense was spared, but he was always realistic about the sound impact of various components.

I designed 10 different speakers with Jeff over the last 2 years, I agree with everything that's been said above, Jeff was fine with Bennic or Dayton caps, he loved laminated steel core inductors for their low DCR and air core inductors in the tweeter and mid circuit whenever possible, any resistor was fine so long it could handle the current. He didn't necessarily feel you could hear the difference between different components, but he liked using quality parts if they were an option, and we both feel/felt that if you were using more expensive or high end drivers, you could splurge on components too, but for Jeff it was never a part of the design or sound quality of the final speaker.

Thanks guys, and its great to see you honoring him in this way Rick.

Javad

Click image for larger version  Name:	Helios Crossover.jpg Views:	0 Size:	107.6 KB ID:	1437870
                --
                Javad Shadzi
                Bay Area, CA

2-Channel Stereo system in the works with Adcom components and 4-way towers

Comment

Thanks, Javad!
                  Wolf

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:

Comment

Not really, to my knowledge, but here is some food for thought:
                    - He favored the use of laminated cores for the cost, DCR, and size reduction. They are in the Continuum, Mandolin, and Piccolo for lowpass sections.
                    - The Kairos have Solen Perfect Lay standard or Heptalitz coils and SoniCaps as the kit presented them initially, but the parts Jeff actually used weren't so snazzy.
                    - He typically just used plain sandcast resistors, or Lynk types, because that is what he had or was sent to him.
                    - Caps, as long as they were film/poly he usually showed no preference. I know he had large AXON, Solen, Erse types for mid HP use, and was happy about finding a RELcap from a rewrapped buyout somewhere at one point. He and Dave Elledge talked about that kind of thing before/more-than He/I did unless regarding to my usage of them. He had a bag of Cebo caps to try out last I was down there.

I think the person you should ask is Seth Horton (s7horton). He built the Spirit Winds that Jeff loved. If anyone knew of a preference, that would have been the pair that showed what they were. Seth built those to Jeff's order. To be able to contact him, I know he built Jed's stuff at one point too, and he lives in GR, MI. He might post on here periodically. I do not have his contact info.

I've never known him to use more than say an AudioCap Theta as a bypass on his David Towers, in terms of premium parts.

Later,
                    Wolf
                    Thanks - I knew the local historian would help!

Comment

Originally posted by JavadS View Post

See below for the Helios Crossovers I built. We splurged as Jeff felt this was one of his best designs and state of the art, so no expense was spared, but he was always realistic about the sound impact of various components.

I designed 10 different speakers with Jeff over the last 2 years, I agree with everything that's been said above, Jeff was fine with Bennic or Dayton caps, he loved laminated steel core inductors for their low DCR and air core inductors in the tweeter and mid circuit whenever possible, any resistor was fine so long it could handle the current. He didn't necessarily feel you could hear the difference between different components, but he liked using quality parts if they were an option, and we both feel/felt that if you were using more expensive or high end drivers, you could splurge on components too, but for Jeff it was never a part of the design or sound quality of the final speaker.

Thanks guys, and its great to see you honoring him in this way Rick.

Javad

Click image for larger version Name:	Helios Crossover.jpg Views:	0 Size:	107.6 KB ID:	1437870
                      Thanks for your input Javad. The GoFundMe project for Jeff has done really well. How long will that be kept open? I'm trying to figure out the best timing and approach for my fundraiser.

Comment

Looking forward to build!

9sheng

Comment

Originally posted by rickcraig View Post

Thanks for your input Javad. The GoFundMe project for Jeff has done really well. How long will that be kept open? I'm trying to figure out the best timing and approach for my fundraiser.
                          Hey Rick, it has, it will remain open indefinitely, once it gets close I'll raise the amount as Christine could really use the financial support now more than ever. Thanks for honoring his legacy Rick.

Javad
                          --
                          Javad Shadzi
                          Bay Area, CA

2-Channel Stereo system in the works with Adcom components and 4-way towers

Comment

I, too, am very interested in this project. Being an introvert, I didn't converse with Jeff as much as probably should have, but I always admired him greatly and held him in the highest regard. What a huge loss.
                            Eric L.

Comment

Crossover parts are coming this week for initial testing.

Comment

Working...
                              X