• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Click image for larger version

Name:	4b.jpg
Views:	625
Size:	278.2 KB
ID:	1442305Rough cuts completed, on to the finish cuts.

Name:	5.jpg
Views:	620
Size:	257.8 KB
ID:	1442306 Finish pass is done with a 1/2" ball mill.

Name:	6.jpg
Views:	621
Size:	190.1 KB
ID:	1442307 Outsides of baffles completed, ready to flip and cut the insides.

Name:	7.jpg
Views:	617
Size:	212.1 KB
ID:	1442308The baffles are indexed back to my fixture with 3/8" pins, or in this case, 3/8" drill bits.

Name:	8.jpg
Views:	610
Size:	312.3 KB
ID:	1442309 Mounting points are counterbored and the baffle is secured to the fixture with six screws.
    My "No-Name" CC Speaker
    Kerry's "Silverbacks"
    Ben's Synchaeta's for Mom
    The Archers
    Rick's "db" Desktop CBT Arrays
    The Gandalf's

Comment

Click image for larger version  Name:	9a.jpg Views:	0 Size:	190.9 KB ID:	1442311Same process for the backsides of the baffles. Rough cut with a 3/4" FE.
      Click image for larger version  Name:	9b.jpg Views:	0 Size:	250.3 KB ID:	1442312 Gets a little messy during these operations. Typical feedrate is 250 ipm, taking 1/8" stepdowns.
      Click image for larger version  Name:	10.jpg Views:	0 Size:	213.6 KB ID:	1442313Rough cut complete, on to the finish cuts.
      Click image for larger version  Name:	11.jpg Views:	0 Size:	271.8 KB ID:	1442314 The baffle is mitered to prevent any unwanted seams from showing through the veneer.
      Click image for larger version  Name:	12.jpg Views:	0 Size:	181.4 KB ID:	1442315Last of the miter cuts. Will post a short video of this step at some point.
      My "No-Name" CC Speaker
      Kerry's "Silverbacks"
      The Archers
      The Gandalf's

Comment

Name:	13.jpg
Views:	620
Size:	193.6 KB
ID:	1442317A closer look after the mitered edges are completed. Next step is to finish the inside of the baffle.

Name:	14.jpg
Views:	606
Size:	182.6 KB
ID:	1442318 1/2" Ball cutter used again to finish cut the inside.

Name:	15.jpg
Views:	608
Size:	246.3 KB
ID:	1442319The cabinets will have grills, they'll be attached magnetically. This pic is showing the holes for the magnets that are cut to within .030" of the face of the baffle.

Name:	16.jpg
Views:	605
Size:	175.9 KB
ID:	1442320 After the magnets are dropped into the holes, dowel rods are cut to length and glued in behind them.

Name:	17.jpg
Views:	612
Size:	170.8 KB
ID:	1442321I'll be using allen head machine screws to mount all of the drivers. The mid required 3mm screws (smaller than I normally use) and nuts had to be epoxied into the back of the baffle instead of the normal threaded inserts I use from the front.
        My "No-Name" CC Speaker
        Kerry's "Silverbacks"
        The Archers
        The Gandalf's

Comment

Name:	18.jpg
Views:	616
Size:	159.1 KB
ID:	1442324Baffle complete and almost ready to be glued into the cabinet.

Name:	19.jpg
Views:	679
Size:	201.8 KB
ID:	1442325 Here's a picture showing the relief cuts required to allow the mid to breath easier.

Name:	Integrity.jpg
Views:	634
Size:	281.6 KB
ID:	1442326Last of the pics for today, more to come later this week. Another look at the cabinet from this weekend.
          My "No-Name" CC Speaker
          Kerry's "Silverbacks"
          The Archers
          The Gandalf's

Comment

Kevin what's the veneer? Kind of reminds be of the Silverbacks. It would be nice to see these in person.
            John H

Synergy Horn, SLS-85, BMR-3L, Mini-TL, BR-2, Titan OB, B452, Udique, Vultus, Latus1, Seriatim, Aperivox,Pencil Tower

Comment

• Kevin K.
              Kevin K. commented
              Editing a comment
              Thanks John. It's Brazilian Rosewood, a unique lot I came across. Some of the character in it reminds me of Ziricote. I'm not sure when Rick plans to do the raffle or when these will be given away. If I recall, thinking Ben has an event planned for later this year. If they haven't been given away by that time, perhaps Rick could bring them to the event. If that were to happen, I could fly in to attend as well. It would be nice for some of Jeff's closer friends to get to see and hear them.

• jhollander
              jhollander commented
              Editing a comment
              Great work, they probably look even better in person. Probably would help the auction value if these were demo'ed

That's a lot of work. Your pics show me I absolutely could not duplicate this baffle with my tool selection, short of going at it freehand with a handsaw (outside only). Thanks.

Comment

• Kevin K.
              Kevin K. commented
              Editing a comment
              Yep, a ton of work in these. I felt the faceted cabinets would help raise interest and increase the revenue for the fundraiser/raffle. The straight edged cabinet without facets is the primary design Rick is publishing. It's still somewhat advanced due to the mid shape and the oval passive radiator. I'll be offering pre-cut front and/or rear baffles if anyone is interested. There's also the option to surface mount the mid and PR. It impacts the response, but it's still an option.

So we now know the mid:
            SB Acoustics SB10PGC21-4

Wolf
            "Wolf, you shall now be known as "King of the Zip ties." -Pete00t
            "Wolf and speakers equivalent to Picasso and 'Blue'" -dantheman
            "He is a true ambassador for this forum and speaker DIY in general." -Ed Froste
            "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:
            http://photobucket.com/Wolf-Speakers_and_more

My blog/writeups/thoughts here at PE:
            http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102

Comment

• Kevin K.
              Kevin K. commented
              Editing a comment
              Oops, I let the cat out of the bag, lol. I think Rick has kept the drivers secret long enough, time for him to reveal the details.

Yes- you can bring them in September. We'd be glad to have both Rick and Kevin in Ft. Wayne.

Later,
            Wolf
            "Wolf, you shall now be known as "King of the Zip ties." -Pete00t
            "Wolf and speakers equivalent to Picasso and 'Blue'" -dantheman
            "He is a true ambassador for this forum and speaker DIY in general." -Ed Froste
            "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:
            http://photobucket.com/Wolf-Speakers_and_more

My blog/writeups/thoughts here at PE:
            http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102

Comment

• Kevin K.
              Kevin K. commented
              Editing a comment
              Thanks Ben! It's only a few months away, maybe we can make this happen, I'll talk with Rick.

Hey Kevin, question on the curved baffle. Did the back also have to curved - a straight back might have been easier to join to a normal rectangular box?

Comment

• Kevin K.
              Kevin K. commented
              Editing a comment
              Hi Ani. Think I'm following your question. I chose to curve the back edges of the baffle so there wouldn't be a joint in the sidewalls that could telegraph through the veneer. Does that make sense? This cabinet could be replicated by hand building the box like normal and adding the curved facet afterwards. Some additional blocks would need to be added internally if that was the route chosen.

Originally posted by Wolf View Post
            Yes- you can bring them in September. We'd be glad to have both Rick and Kevin in Ft. Wayne.

Later,
            Wolf
            That would be fun! I've not been back for several years.

Comment

Thanks Kevin, yes having the back of the baffle curved will not have a join under the side veneer.

another question on the veneer - what's the best way to trim the veneer that's on the facets, since there are not at 90 degrees to any surface so a flush trim bit cant be used. Same question for the veneer that's on the face or top but juts out over the facets. do you hand trim with a blade and then flush sand or any better technique?

Comment

• Kevin K.
                Kevin K. commented
                Editing a comment
                Ani, I use a small hand router (freehand) to cut the curves. Let me post the rest of the build pics and I believe it will answer most of your questions.

Those are gorgeous Kevin, what's the veneer?

Comment

• anotherTodd
                anotherTodd commented
                Editing a comment
                From post 65.1 "It's Brazilian Rosewood, a unique lot I came across. Some of the character in it reminds me of Ziricote...."

• Kevin K.
                Kevin K. commented
                Editing a comment
                Thank you Nick! As anotherTodd referenced, Brazilian Rosewood. Will post more about it shortly.

Those are beautiful, amazing work! Can we reveal the driver lineup now?🙂 Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

• Kevin K.
                Kevin K. commented
                Editing a comment
                Not my place, I'm just the cabinet maker. You guys will have to lean on Rick for the final reveal. There should only be one driver left to guess, the tweeter. I accidently revealed the mid. The PR is one of a kind. Rick stated early in the thread that it was a Dayton woofer, and if you look hard at my CAD model, the sideview shape of the driver should give that away.

Stage 2 of the build, rest of the cabinet construction.

Click image for larger version  Name:	1.jpg Views:	0 Size:	197.1 KB ID:	1442721 Right after the cuts were completed on the sidewalls, top, and bottom. There are also a couple of assembly jigs at the bottom of the pic, I had room left on the blank and decided to try something new to assist in the building of the cabinet. Not pictured here is a second blank. It consisted of two rear baffles and two sets of the internal braces. Blew it and forgot to get a picture of that after it finished.

Click image for larger version  Name:	2.jpg Views:	0 Size:	286.7 KB ID:	1442722 All inside edges of the braces were rounded over with a 1/4" radius.
              Click image for larger version  Name:	3.jpg Views:	0 Size:	245.1 KB ID:	1442724 30 degree chamfer cut on the back of the Passive Radiator opening to allow it to breath easier.
              Click image for larger version  Name:	4.jpg Views:	0 Size:	215.4 KB ID:	1442725 This picture is of the two sidewalls and the rear baffle. The entire cabinet is miter cut. I use 2.83" wide blue masking tape in place of clamps. The clamping force of the tape is it's shear strength and it's more than adequate for mitered edges, no additional clamps required.
              Click image for larger version  Name:	5.jpg Views:	0 Size:	220.1 KB ID:	1442726After taping the joints (previous pic), the panels are flipped over as a group. Next step was to glue and install the braces into the dadoed grooves.

My "No-Name" CC Speaker
              Kerry's "Silverbacks"
              The Archers
              The Gandalf's

Comment

Name:	6.jpg
Views:	367
Size:	192.8 KB
ID:	1442729Braces joined to this sidewall first.

Name:	7.jpg
Views:	360
Size:	206.0 KB
ID:	1442730A tip for glue work on mitered edges when using tape as the clamp. Apply the glue to one side, fold the panel closed, and re-open. The next photo shows the coverage of the glue after the panel was re-opened.

Name:	8.jpg
Size:	214.2 KB
ID:	1442731After opening the panels, look for uniform glue coverage on both edges. Add glue as necessary. Right before the final close, I like to add one more light line of glue down the middle of one of the miters.

Name:	9.jpg
Views:	359
Size:	191.1 KB
ID:	1442732Once the mitered edges are closed together for the last time, some squeeze out should be expected.

Name:	10.jpg
Size:	188.9 KB
ID:	1442733 This picture show the assembly jigs being used while the glue dries. They weren't a neccessity, but I had room for them on my blank and took advantage of the wasted space. The jigs keep everything spaced properly and help keep the cabinet square.
                My "No-Name" CC Speaker
                Kerry's "Silverbacks"
                The Archers
                The Gandalf's

Comment

Working...
                X