Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Veneering around a 3/4" roundover the wrong way. Anyone had success?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Veneering around a 3/4" roundover the wrong way. Anyone had success?

Hope this finds you all healthy and safe, especially after the recent tragic news.

I have a project with 3/4" roundovers top and bottom and want to wrap the enclosure with vertical grain. I've done a few projects with same roundovers, but have used horizontal grain with Heatloc glue it was pretty easy. I'm not sure about the roundover going across the grain.

My thought is to use a paperbacked veneer and a veneer softener for the bending and use the same species in a NBL or raw veneer for the front. I'm not sure which species might be the better option or for that matter which supplier would have the best options.

Has anyone tried this and have any success?

I've done it a couple of times. Paperbacked veneer on both sets, and used the veneer softener like you are thinking. Ended up with some strands of wood tearing loose but was able to glue and clamp them back in place. Can it be done, yea, but it's not a walk in the park by any means. Best of luck!

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0879.JPG
Views:	306
Size:	477.2 KB
ID:	1436365 Click image for larger version

Name:	20170515_004928.jpg
Views:	299
Size:	580.5 KB
ID:	1436366 Click image for larger version

Name:	20170408_133859.jpg
Views:	288
Size:	399.1 KB
ID:	1436367
    My "No-Name" CC Speaker
    Kerry's "Silverbacks"
    Ben's Synchaeta's for Mom
    The Archers
    Rick's "db" Desktop CBT Arrays
    The Gandalf's

Comment

Amazing work Kevin!
      Would you say the straighter grained veneer was easier to work with? I presume it was an Alpi reconstituted veneer?

Comment

• Kevin K.
        Kevin K. commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks! Yes, the grey one on the left with the straighter grain was considerably easier and it was a reconstituted veneer. The one on the right was real Mottled Makore and it gave a lot more trouble. Both were 20 mil, perhaps a 10 mil paperback veneer might have been easier, not sure. Like a4eaudio pointed out below, take your time on the prep, give the softener enough time to do it's job. My biggest concern at the time was whether or not the softener would cause the veneer to delaminate from the paper. Never saw any signs of it on these two builds though.

nigelb,

This is a 3/4" roundover using paper-backed quarter-sawn walnut from veneersupplies.com.
      I also bought a pre-sharpened veneer saw, veneer scraper, and the Super Soft 2 Veneer softener. They were a great company to deal with!

Not shown in the picture, I did crease one of the corners of the veneer, but...it was COMPLETELY my fault. I was IMPATIENT and I did NOT follow the directions of the veneer softener and used it after an hour or so when it clearly states "Leave the veneer under pressure for six to ten hours."

I think if I was to do it again, follow the directions, and be PATIENT, I bet I could do a 1/2" radius.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Sherlocks 2.jpeg
Views:	298
Size:	343.2 KB
ID:	1436386

Comment

Given Kevin's work, and now your fantastic work a4eaudio, I feel pretty good about trying it myself. I think I'll make up some test corners to try it out. Now if I can just get some orders delivered...

Comment

Comment

So I did get something delivered from Joe Woodworker. Walnut 10ml paperbacked plus some heatlock adhesive. So, I thought I'd build some smaller test boxes similar to the larger project i intend to build. I still have a bunch of W3 TB full rangers in my storage so i figured they'd be good for my 13 year old daughter for desk tops if they work out. Still got to finish them but here's a progress shot. It works pretty well on a 3/4" round over the wrong way. Yay!
            Attached Files

Comment

Looks great man, good job! I'll have to try it with 10mil next time, suspect that helped make the task a little easier.
              My "No-Name" CC Speaker
              Kerry's "Silverbacks"
              Ben's Synchaeta's for Mom
              The Archers
              Rick's "db" Desktop CBT Arrays
              The Gandalf's

Comment

Working...
              X