DIY Klipchorns???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DIY Klipchorns???

Hi, friends. Been on a DIY leave of absence for quite a while. Recently, I had the opportunity to visit with a friend I of many years, who helped rekindle my interest in hi-fi, never knowing he was a serious audiophile. I had the privilege of being able to audition his Klipchorns and Klipsch Heresy speakers he got several years ago through a relative who worked in the factory in Hope, Arkansas, and was able to get him a step discount.

Now, as many here know, I am certainly no stranger to superb high-fidelity speakers, and have used, listened to, and even built some pretty exotic creations. But I must say, my friend's system utterly sounded like God! I mean literally. I was absolutely overwhelmed, and amazed at their incredible sound.

Since I was a kid in high school, and bought my first Marantz receiver, back in the 70s, I've been an audiophile, and heard many quality speakers. I will still never forget at about 17 or 18, hearing the Bose 901s for the first time, thinking they were the best around until I heard my friend's father's Dahlquist speakers, and another friend's Infinity SM150 Studio Monitors. Over a lifetime, I've heard several other exotic creations as well, such as JBLs, Martin Logans, Vandersteens, Altec Lansings, Allison's, etc, among several others, just to name a few, and always considered my own creations to be at least as good, and/or better. But these Klipchorns I heard for the first time recently sounded nothing like any of these others.

They seemed to reproduce sound tonally accurately, and effortlessly. Not to mention at rock concert level volume, as these were as loud as hell. Especially, in light of the fact he was using a modestly powered Pass Labs tube amplifier, I believe about 30 watts per channel. These speakers are very efficient, with a sensitivity somewhere in the neighborhood of 100 dB @ 1w/m or more.

It has piqued an interest in exploring the possibility of concocting such a DIY creation, although I dont have much info or specs for driver selection, cabinet size requirements, crossover components, etc. If for no other reason, due to their ridiculously high price point, as I have found many of the Klipsch Heritage model speakers cost several thousands of dollars. - Something I could never afford, but might be motivated to build.

I'd be interested to know if anyone here has any experience, knowledge, or information of anyone who has built anything similar. I'm primarily interested in building something comparable to any of the, "Heritage Series," Klipsch speakers, such as models including Klipschorns, Heresy, Cornwall, Forte, LaScala, and others, not to be confused with the consumer grade, "mid-fi" offerings made nowadays. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

One other thing I found odd is that these Klipchorns have quite unique, unusual drivers for home listening high fidelity stereo speakers, using things such as compression horn tweeters and midrange drivers, and unlike other typical, full range, high-fidelity loudspeakers, use paper accordion surround woofers. - All drivers more appropriately used for, and typically in professional sound, and instrument speakers applications.

Comment

There is (or used to be, at least) a Klipsch forum online. You can probably find plans and practical assistance there. Building a big corner horn at home is challenging, but it can be done.

Yes, pro-sound drivers are used in home applications. They are more sensitive than normal hi-fi drivers, but for the same SQ they will be significantly more expensive because they are built to withstand the abuse of pro sound.
      Francis

Comment

He has plans for the corner horn. Looks tricky.

http://wp.volvotreter.de/dl-section/plans/

Comment

Lots of Klipsch fans.

https://community.klipsch.com/index....an-klipschorn/

Comment

Originally posted by djg View Post
            He has plans for the corner horn. Looks tricky.

http://wp.volvotreter.de/dl-section/plans/
            Yes, level 5 carpentry skills required! And to really make them sound their best, digital delay on the mid and tweeter is a must. That's a looooong horn.
            Francis

Comment

If you go this route, people often use an Altec 511B horn for the mids. Now that's something I know about
              Francis

Comment

They do have a different sound. A set of EV sentry IIIs is on my list to build. I happened to come into a full set of drivers, horns and crossovers for free.

Figure about 1000-1500 a pair for drivers and crossovers without the cabs. That's for non-oem parts, but from a very reputable person. You can find a lot of used OEM stuff on ebay. Plans are easy to find for belles and lascalas. Take a look over at the klipsch community website and at bob crites website.
                Last edited by devnull; 04-10-2020, 08:42 AM. Reason: Because I can't spell worth a damn......

Comment

Originally posted by devnull View Post
                  They do have a different sound. A set of EV sentry IIIs is on my list to build. I happened to come into a full set of drivers, horns and crossovers for free..
                  Yeah, you have to build those Sentry IIIs one of these days. I bet with an up-to-date crossover they'd be pretty doggone sweet!
                  Francis

Comment

Check out bob crites cornscala https://critesspeakers.com/cornscala.html

He also sells most of the drivers and horns you would need to build your own.
                    Carbon13

Comment

Originally posted by fpitas View Post

Yeah, you have to build those Sentry IIIs one of these days. I bet with an up-to-date crossover they'd be pretty doggone sweet!
                      Ha! In my spare time. The GF just bought a townhouse and I've probably got a hundred plus hours in working on it. I also need to finish a pair of sofa table subwoofers and write something up. Dual opposed HSU buyouts in a 4 1/2 c.f slot loaded cab. Here's a preview pic.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0700.JPG
Views:	163
Size:	667.9 KB
ID:	1436477

Comment

Did the cat eat the tweeter?
                        Francis

Comment

Working...
                        X