Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A high quality 4 or 5 inch driver for a 4.5L 2 way would be?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A high quality 4 or 5 inch driver for a 4.5L 2 way would be?

Hi Gents,

I'm pumping out new builds like crazy while self isolating and have a hankering to build a really good sounding SMALL 2 way of 4 to 5L volume. I've modeled a lot of the 4 and 5 inch Tand Bands, HiVis, Peerless HDS, and Dayton RS. None of these seem really happy in that small a cabinet except for the HiVi B4N which is a nice driver but not as detailed and transparent as I'm hoping for in a somewhat premium build. The TB W4 1720 is a very strong, high quality driver that would almost work but it is much happier in a 5L+ box.
    So, I'm hoping that someone knows of an "off the beaten path" driver that fits the description of what im looking for. I don't want to get into the Scanspeak price range but would be OK with up to $60 each if the sound quality justifies it. I have several different pairs of high quality tweeters on hand that I can use and that can be crossed around 2.8K. Getting the right mid-woofer is the challenge. Suggestions would be much appreciated.

Best,
    Jay

Sealed or ported? For a small ported box, the Dayton DA115 comes to mind. For a small sealed box (or maybe even ported), the Visaton W100S would be worth looking at.

Comment

How about the SB15NRXC30-4 or SB15MFC30-4.

Actually check out this 4 incher: SB12PAC25-4 or better yet: SB12CACS25-04. I haven’t modeled it but this would be on my short list with your budget and size constraints.

Hoffmans iron law is fighting you but these seem to be reasonable options. If you were doing a cost no object build, a 5” Rev or Illuminator would be my choice.

Comment

I was also thinking of the SB12CAC. If it's anything like it's big brother (and I'm pretty sure it is) it should make for a very nice sounding mini monitor.

You probably already know this, but the TCP115-4 works great in 4.75L. But it's out of stock right now. It's not the most revealing mid-woofer, but surprisingly decent with good low end. The MK402 really doesn't do it justice at that system price-point.

Co-conspirator in the development of the "CR Gnarly Fidelity Reduction Unit" - Registered Trademark, Patent Pending.

Comment

Regarding TB W4-1720...I know the Speedster uses a 5.5L box, but Rory's Neutrino is 5.1L and that whole line of underhung woofers is pretty impressive.

Following up on Billet's question on sealed vs ported...I'd assume ported if you aren't planning on a sub, but what F3 is acceptable? In that cabinet size it looks like F3 of 70Hz is easy but probably not "good enough" and your challenge is getting an F3 of 55Hz or so and "really good sounding".

Comment

I think the cabinet might be about 6 litres, which might be too big for you, but I've seen (not heard) a nice Oz commercial two way with the SB12PFC-8. Outside dimensions are 260x145 x 180cm, 19mm (I think) MDF. The cabinet is ported, and from the specs, F3 seems to be about 60Hz.

As it's a commercial design, the XO is not available and the speaker is of course the company's intellectual property. However, the dimensions and drivers are publicly available on its website.

The frame shape of the SB PFC series is a pain, but. I've used the SB16PFC and it sounds very nice, and there are a few builds on PETT and other fora which use the SB13 and reportedly sound very good.

Geoff

Comment

Thanks Guys. I'm definitely going to go ported. Right after I posted, I thought to check to see what SB had available and it looks like the SB12 CACS 25-4 is an excellent candidate. I will check out the other suggestions above tomorrow but the SB is going be hard to beat. Affordable, F3 of 57 in 4.5L and if it sounds like its 5 inch big brother, detailed and transparent.

Thanks!
              Jay

PS I posted this last night but it didn't show up when I just checked this AM. I'll sim some of the suggested options above and let folks know what I finally ordered.

Comment

I would definitely go with the SB12CAC25-04. In 4.5L tuned to 50Hz the F3 is 51 Hz. Your problem will be fitting a decent size port in that small enclosure.
                Craig

The lowest possible F3 box alignment is not always the best alignment.

Designing and building speaker projects are like playing with adult Lego Blocks for me.

Comment

Thanks again everybody. I have ordered the SB 12CACS 25-04 drivers. I'm thinking they will work very well.

Comment

Awesome, let us know how they turn out. What are your tweeter options?

Comment

Tweeter options on hand are CSS LD22, Peerless XT 25 SC90 and Peerless XT25 TG 30. I'm leaning toward the CSS LD22 since I've never used it, it is smaller and it is reputed to be exceptionally nice. I also have a pair of Dayton ND 20s and HiVi RT 1C As but I think the Dayton might not be refined enough and the HiVi not able to cross low enough. And one more I forgot I have: the Fountec Neo CD 1.0
                      Last edited by Drjay; 04-13-2020, 08:24 PM. Reason: added tweeters I forgot I have

Comment

CSS LD22 for the win!!!!
                        Craig

The lowest possible F3 box alignment is not always the best alignment.

Designing and building speaker projects are like playing with adult Lego Blocks for me.

Comment

Yeah, I don’t think you can go wrong with any of the css stuff. I’m jealous of that combo, the css and sb ceramic. Something tells me you’re going to be very pleased with your little speakers. You should do a build thread for this combo!

Comment

Well, the SB12 CAC ceramic and the CSS L22 speakers have been up and running for 3 days now and I am truly delighted with the results. The Transparency and detail are excellent and the bass is amazing for the size of the speakers. I ended up with 5.5 net liters and feel that in comparison to the 5L mini monitors I built a few weeks ago using the Tang Band W4 1720 and Peerless XT25 SC90, the SB pair is better in all respects. Not that I am criticising the TB, Peerless pair, they are among the best mini monitors I'v heard. Commenting on one's own build is frought with issues, but I will say that this pairing of SB ceramic and CSS drivers seems to me to capture quite a bit of the magic I hear in Craig's Keramiskas. I doubt that anybody will fail to be impressed with the SB12 CAC plus CSS combination if they decide to build it.

Best,
                            Jay

Comment

Glad you are happy, my friend!
                              I just finished a build with the LD22 and they are truly amazing.
                              I've got both the LD22 and SB 12 CAC on my shelf. Hmm.....

I think I hear a difference - wow, it's amazing!" Ethan Winer: audio myths
                              "As God is my witness I'll never be without a good pair of speakers!" Scarlett O'Hara

High value, high quality RS150/TB28-537SH bookshelf - TARGAS NLA!
                              SB13/Vifa BC25SC06 MTM DCR Galeons-SB13-MTM
                              My Voxel min sub Yet-another-Voxel-build

Tangband W6-sub

Comment

Working...
                              X