No announcement yet.

O.T. Shed sound system for Groundhog...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• O.T. Shed sound system for Groundhog...

I've got a groundhog under my shed, moved in about 2 weeks ago.

I've tried granulated sinus irritant, didn't seem to do anything. I took a few shots at him with a pellet gun and either he's too quick, or I'm too slow, but either way, he's still there.

Now I'm trying some annoying noise to see if that will encourage him to move out. It's a Tang Band 1138 6.5" subwoofer in a bandpass box powered by one of PE's little all in one 30 watt amp boards. I mixed up a track which is half white noise, half short sine sweeps all at the same time and extended it to beyond 20 minutes in Audacity... and man is it annoying. I've got it turned up almost to full and it's really rattling the walls in the shed. He might stay, but he's gonna' be deaf!

Click image for larger version

Name:	Bandpass Groundhog Setup.jpg
Views:	391
Size:	172.1 KB
ID:	1438668
    He hasn't done any visible damage to my shed yet, it's set on 5-6" of crushed stone, but I'm sure he'll be borrowing down soon enough.

We've had them under the sheds at work (preschool) and they are really hard to get rid of. A few years ago at work I saw one go inside a trap they had set, eat a few things, he sprung the trap, and the door swung closed. He busted out, took a few steps and went back inside to eat the rest of the bait. Set the door shut closed, and got out again... we called that one Houdini.

Also, I think he got under the hood of my car and chewed through a bunch of wires. At first I thought it was a mouse, but I don't know, some of what was munched on looks like something bigger did it. I set two mouse traps and caught nothing, so I think my fears may be justified. That one is going to be expensive I think if I can't get it fixed myself. Ugh, nature!

Anyway, just wanted to share my 'groundhog shed sound system' with you all.

TomZ
    *Veneering curves, seams, using heat-lock iron on method *Trimming veneer & tips *Curved Sides glue-up video
    *Part 2 *Gluing multiple curved laminations of HDF *Cello's Speaker Project Page

*Building the "Micro-B 2.1 Plate Amplifier -- Part 1 * Part 2 * Part 3 * Part 4 * * Part 5 'Review' * -- Assembly Instructions PDF

I love it, Tom, you know you have the DIY bug bad when your solution to every problem is to throw some watts at it Maybe you could drive him nuts with an endless loop of "I got you babe"

Comment

Squirrels, rats, and mice have been known to make nests in engine bays, especially if not moving much. The 'hogs around here are too big to do that.

Had a big one under the old barn recently. Dad set out and picked him off for me, and then the turkey buzzard swooped in and carried him off.

At least I'm feeding the birds....

Wolf
      "Wolf, you shall now be known as "King of the Zip ties." -Pete00t
      "Wolf and speakers equivalent to Picasso and 'Blue'" -dantheman
      "He is a true ambassador for this forum and speaker DIY in general." -Ed Froste
      "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:
      http://photobucket.com/Wolf-Speakers_and_more

My blog/writeups/thoughts here at PE:
      http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102

Comment

• nigelb
        nigelb commented
        Editing a comment
        In LA we have ground squirrels, rats, mice and various other things that might make me crazy! I have had the spark plug leads eaten very badly in one of our cars. The tip I got from one wonderful person was this-
        Buy laundry washing machine pods, I used Arm&Hammer Oxi Clean Power Paks, put one in each corner of your engine bay. For some reason almost all animals hate the smell. Change every three months. If foe some reason they break or get soaked it's just a bit of detergent. Cheap and effective!
        Now if someone has a way of wiping ground squirrels of fthe face of the planet please let me know?

Cue the theme from 'Caddyshack'.
      www.billfitzmaurice.com
      www.billfitzmaurice.info/forum

Comment

Pellet gun big fail at distance. A 22 will do it though.
        You should be able to borrow one in the wilds of Jersey.

good luck Mr. Zarbo........if you are captured, yadda yadda............

Comment

I did manage to put a pellet in his body a few minutes ago, missed his head. 60 feet or so, he's out grazing on my clover. Pointed pellets go 1/4" or so into wood, so if I can hit his head at 60 ft or less, I'd have him.

Tomorrow's another day right? It's okay. I'm alright, nobody worry about me. Why's he have to put up a fight? Why don't he just let me be? THAT'S what I should play in the shed.

TomZ
          *Veneering curves, seams, using heat-lock iron on method *Trimming veneer & tips *Curved Sides glue-up video
          *Part 2 *Gluing multiple curved laminations of HDF *Cello's Speaker Project Page

*Building the "Micro-B 2.1 Plate Amplifier -- Part 1 * Part 2 * Part 3 * Part 4 * * Part 5 'Review' * -- Assembly Instructions PDF

Comment

I don't have woodchucks, but I do get skunks and raccoons. Raccoons are really hard to kill. I have a trap that catches them, but I'm not going to drive them to a new home. I use a 22 pellet rifle to dispatch them. The pellets practically bounce off them. I had one last season that I hit at least a dozen times. I came back an hour later, dumped him out of the cage, he slowly hankered off. My fault for not making sure he was attracting flies, a sure sign that they're dead. I'd prefer to dispatch them with my .22 pistol but I can't discharge it within city limits. Skunks are a worse nuisance because the local cats won't cart off the carcasses for a midnight snack. I have to cremate them.
            www.billfitzmaurice.com
            www.billfitzmaurice.info/forum

Comment

I'm wondering if the groundhog will hear it though

https://www.myihp.co.uk/animal-hearing-ranges/

Unfortunately the groundhog isn't listed.

Brian Steele
              www.diysubwoofers.org

Comment

Can't say that I have had to get rid of a groundhog but when a mole comes around we pour bleach down the holes and wherever we see it. They get gone quick..

Comment

Quieter than my air gun in my old Stevens single shot .22. Won't cycle a 10-22.

https://www.cci-ammunition.com/rimfi...-22/6-960.html

Comment

My nemesis.

Click image for larger version

Name:	13 striped.jpg
Views:	337
Size:	77.2 KB
ID:	1438719

Comment

I know lots of folks are opposed to D-Con (for various reasons), but maybe a pellet or 2 of ultrasonic D-Con "down the hole" would do 'em in?

Comment

Tractor Supply has some low cost live animal traps that are fairly tough. Our guys loved cantaloupe slices and mom and her babies came out one by one and got caught. They are a lot easier to shoot when they are in those traps--hard to miss from 6" away. I borrowed our neighbor's .22 to finish them off. They cause so much damage and they are so ugly up close that you don't feel any remorse.
                        Free Passive Speaker Designer Lite (PSD-Lite) -- http://www.audiodevelopers.com/Softw...Lite/setup.exe

Comment

Lot of car manufacturers now use a renewable soy based insulation on their wiring. As far as a rodent is concerned, it's a free meal.
                          http://techtalk.parts-express.com/fo...khanspires-but
                          http://techtalk.parts-express.com/fo...pico-neo-build
                          http://techtalk.parts-express.com/fo...ensation-build

Comment

Originally posted by Kornbread View Post
                            Lot of car manufacturers now use a renewable soy based insulation on their wiring. As far as a rodent is concerned, it's a free meal.
                            ^^^Bingo!

Really quick- animals being a nuisance permits preventing the results of said issues in most areas. If they are doing no harm, letting them be is typical MO.

djg- yes, chipmunks are destructive too. The last I had reeking havoc around here ran up my downspout when he saw me. I up-ended the tube easily, and dropped a 5# weight in a bread-sack down from the other end. Sometimes you have to be smarter. They burrowed under the concrete slab at my Grandmother's place for decades.

Red Jimmies are just as endangered around here as they like to get into homes' attics.

As to coon- I had one in the early Spring once eating the cat food on the back porch. He did not look well. A well placed snow-shovel got rid of that problem. The last thing I want is for my kid to step out on the porch before me and be bitten or scratched up by a rabid or sick varmint/pest.

I'm not in the city limits, but I'm also not far from the line. Having one handy for the occasional sick or injured animal is a pretty good idea around here.

We had an officer come out and put a fawn down a couple years ago that had been hit on the road and both rear appendages were broken. Suffering should never be permitted for an animal (wild or domestic) if you can stop the problem and end their suffering. This is not saying I hate animals, nor is it something where I'm being intentionally mean or causing ill-will toward animals.

Later,
                            Wolf
                            "Wolf, you shall now be known as "King of the Zip ties." -Pete00t
                            "Wolf and speakers equivalent to Picasso and 'Blue'" -dantheman
                            "He is a true ambassador for this forum and speaker DIY in general." -Ed Froste
                            "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:
                            http://photobucket.com/Wolf-Speakers_and_more

My blog/writeups/thoughts here at PE:
                            http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102

Comment

Working...
                            X