Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by fpitas View Post
    Sheesh. What an ignominious end to a fellow audiophile
    haha, I thought something like he didn't like my music so I shot him...
    John H

Synergy Horn, SLS-85, BMR-3L, Mini-TL, BR-2, Titan OB, B452, Udique, Vultus, Latus1, Seriatim, Aperivox,Pencil Tower

Comment

Originally posted by tomzarbo View Post
      I did manage to put a pellet in his body a few minutes ago, missed his head. 60 feet or so, he's out grazing on my clover. Pointed pellets go 1/4" or so into wood, so if I can hit his head at 60 ft or less, I'd have him.

Tomorrow's another day right? It's okay. I'm alright, nobody worry about me. Why's he have to put up a fight? Why don't he just let me be? THAT'S what I should play in the shed.

TomZ
      You could bait him. Pick your spot where your hidden but can get a good shot. And put out his favorite food close to your position. You can practice zeroing in on the target before baiting. For squirrels, I put a wide stake in the ground with a bullseye about 6" high. After a couple of practice rounds I put peanut butter on a bullseye. I was using a plastic CO2 BB pistol. Zeroing in the sites was a matter of filing the plastic.

WIth BBs, only a head shot would would take them down. Got several at 30 feet with the pistol. I stopped when I realized it was fruitless. The neighbors just move into the void.

Comment

Originally posted by Millstonemike View Post

You could bait him. Pick your spot where your hidden but can get a good shot. And put out his favorite food close to your position. You can practice zeroing in on the target before baiting. For squirrels, I put a wide stake in the ground with a bullseye about 6" high. After a couple of practice rounds I put peanut butter on a bullseye. I was using a plastic CO2 BB pistol. Zeroing in the sites was a matter of filing the plastic.

WIth BBs, only a head shot would would take them down. Got several at 30 feet with the pistol. I stopped when I realized it was fruitless. The neighbors just move into the void.
        Yup, my father can pick off squirrels in the trees with this setup sitting in his chair on the deck, but a groundhog's head is just too hard for his gun, even with the pointed pellets. His gun uses pump action instead of the cartridges, don't know if that's the reason why, but I just couldn't penetrate the skull... even after he was trapped I put a few in his noggin at 2 feet away, and he just shook it off. That's when I called the neighbor with the .22 which got the job done.

Yesterday the wife and I started to place the 4x6 beams under the shed to seal up any entryway into the underside of the shed. Not a fun job and of course it started to rain just when we got rolling, but it should help the situation. A groundhog would literally have to dig under a bunch of timbers and make his way through several inches of packed stone to get under there. Not that one wouldn't be able too, but I took away the obvious entry point, and I can see a gopher hole and deal with that much better than multiple entry points over 40 feet of under-shed openings.

TomZ
        *Veneering curves, seams, using heat-lock iron on method *Trimming veneer & tips *Curved Sides glue-up video
        *Part 2 *Gluing multiple curved laminations of HDF *Cello's Speaker Project Page

*Building the "Micro-B 2.1 Plate Amplifier -- Part 1 * Part 2 * Part 3 * Part 4 * * Part 5 'Review' * -- Assembly Instructions PDF

Comment

Just remember, you're smarter than a groundhog.

Comment

Originally posted by tomzarbo View Post
            Gone. I put the trap in a more secluded location, within minutes he was inside.

The noise definitely did upset him, he was outside much more with it playing.

I've replaced the stones, wait and see if any more are disturbed. Hopefully not.

I've had some fun with my potato gun. 3 seconds of right guard and you have quite a bang there! I was getting close to 300 feet with mine. It's long since been dismantled after I moved to the city... lives on in the form of vents in a speaker. Seems it always comes back to that...

TomZ
            You will have to name your next project, Ground hog day. Wolf brought up a very important thing about using poison on critters, that other critters may eat him. Lead shot is also
            an issue to wildlife.

Comment

Just a quick update, I know this is all unrelated to audio at this point but...

My car had 5-6 areas where a (probably) mouse ate up some wires, some were nibbled on, others eaten fully through. I was going to take a crack at it, but I couldn't get it in the garage (uphill) and that was just the excuse I needed to not do it! That ended up costing me a bit over $400 as they were able to get a used wiring harness piece and solder a few wires in stead of dozens that way. Still the labor was what cost on that job.

Funny thing, I went to the Acme food store Sunday to get cheese... yeah I like cheese. Bonus points if you can tell me where cheese has been mentioned before by my household... anyway, my wife got like 4-5 pounds of sliced turkey breast and no cheese, there has to be at least a 1:1 ratio of cheese to turkey, though ideally, I'd like more cheese than meat, but I digress... So I went to the Acme to get some cheese and my other car, a 2013 Honda Accord got me there fine, but when it was time to go home, it would start, but not stay running... Uh-Oh, I thought, not another rodent issue?

I had to call AAA and get a tow to the mechanics. The next day is when I tried to work on the other car, the green Nissan, and since I couldn't get it in the garage/shade, I just gave up, turns out there was more nibbled than I even saw, and I doubt I would have been able to do that anyway... so I've been a member of AAA for 23 years (since 1997) and have NEVER needed a tow. Now I need two tows in as many days. Worried was I. The Honda was a dead battery and a throttle body computer thingy re-learn. That one was cheap, but still, I was feeling like I was car-cursed. I have another fun car that I was able to still use, but when 2 out of 3 of your cars are in the shop, you start feeling a little exposed; especially since they won't let you ride in the truck with the driver any more.

Anyway, yesterday I saw another groundhog in my back yard. When I looked at him at the edge of the woods like 400 feet away, he looked right at me and stood up. I spread the rest of the repellent around my shed just in case. The neighbor told me that one is living under the shed caddy-cornered to us... foxes have lived under there before.

Last week we bought a bunch of 4" x 6" beams and placed them under my shed and capped the ends with 2x4's to cover the 4x4's. Re-distributed the stones and all seems to be well.
              There is no easy access to under my shed anymore. Of course if something wants in, I'm sure it will try, but I know a little more now how to deal with it, and I have better aim.
              Carl Spackler out.

TomZ
              *Veneering curves, seams, using heat-lock iron on method *Trimming veneer & tips *Curved Sides glue-up video
              *Part 2 *Gluing multiple curved laminations of HDF *Cello's Speaker Project Page

*Building the "Micro-B 2.1 Plate Amplifier -- Part 1 * Part 2 * Part 3 * Part 4 * * Part 5 'Review' * -- Assembly Instructions PDF

Comment

Tom, snakes and locust next?
                John H

Synergy Horn, SLS-85, BMR-3L, Mini-TL, BR-2, Titan OB, B452, Udique, Vultus, Latus1, Seriatim, Aperivox,Pencil Tower

Comment

Originally posted by jhollander View Post
                  Tom, snakes and locust next?
                  Nope, nails apparently... just found one in my rear tire... near the sidewall no less.

I picked up a repair kit from Tractor supply store, and I'll give it a go myself since a tire shop won't mess with it. I'm actually pretty good at that, plus it's very accessible as it's on the outside of the tire.

Don't mean to sound like I'm complaining...I'm blessed and God is good... Just find it funny that this ain't my week for cars.

TomZ

Comment

Working...
                  X