Crown XLS 2502 DriveCore 2 (SUB AMP?)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crown XLS 2502 DriveCore 2 (SUB AMP?)

Hello everyone, can this amp be used as a sub amp?

Crown XLS 2502 DriveCore 2 Power Amplifier 2 x 775W at 4 Ohms

Are there better options? Amp will be receiving full signal so need something with DSP to remove 100hz and above.

thank you
    YO

The Crown XLS DSP is fairly crude. Assuming you don't have other bass management available, you would probably be better off with a Behringer NXd, maybe the NX6000d. It has much more powerful DSP, but has a noisy fan; this can be modded.

Otherwise, think about adding DSP upstream - a MiniDSP HD, Behringer DCX2496, other options - at which point the Crown's internal crossover doesn't matter.

Comment

KK-
      The Crown does have an internal limiter (only defeatable on the first gen Drivecore), as well as many xover frequencies already. It also has switchable input voltage sensitivity for such a purpose as you describe. The fans are silent. If you want the variable phase, you can get a Radial Phaser if running balanced, as well as other DSP functions from another unit. I would recommend running balanced, as it is a hotter signal that will yield more clean power output.

Later,
      Wolf
      "Wolf, you shall now be known as "King of the Zip ties." -Pete00t
      "Wolf and speakers equivalent to Picasso and 'Blue'" -dantheman
      "He is a true ambassador for this forum and speaker DIY in general." -Ed Froste
      "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:
      http://photobucket.com/Wolf-Speakers_and_more

My blog/writeups/thoughts here at PE:
      http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102

Comment

In my opinion, the Crown is a much better amp. You can always add dsp.

Comment

I switched from Bryston to CROWN XLS 2502 and XLS 1502 on all channels. Really happy. I keep one Bryston 4B idle on the side for reference in case I have any doubts
          When they don't make what you need - DIY;
          Listening Position - Standing, 20 feet back

Comment

Working...
          X