Need help with DIY Hivi Center Speakers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need help with DIY Hivi Center Speakers

Hi. This is my first post here and looking for advise on how to DIY speakers. My current setup are three KEF Q300 for the front and center, SVS PC12 sub . The surround are taken care by wharfadale. I just bought a set of ready made DIY speakers from China with Hivi drivers. Below are the pictures of the speakers and its called S8.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Kia_YjJ0VrYJnw86M14KoXfNiDtm5neFAds-rL8frgtfwV0pRBuwl2TkY_L3yd8Ed5TMBhk53ThUDXqP30FM0WXOR7uKuUQq7YPKT2-r1X0W6XAmxRZrcaP_hVf852_JNXALXScjz3FfY0y9T3T93aTzF06keyl_eHa3x1SHd0BcRjNqRdIqpatc5tIcX4MUk_fyFft6vAJtKwYLv3DZr-7ofEfvxBkdGnCTsFYSWaqG5tGKpKiHzYZjihfNrlm
Views:	301
Size:	41.2 KB
ID:	1439733

It’s a 3 way speakers with Hivi RT1C-A Isodynamic Tweeter, DMB-A Dome Midrange, and F8N woofers.

I use it mainly for 50/50 movies and music.
    I’m looking to build a center with the same hivi drivers and crossover with the same cabinet dimension but with the tweeter and mid that is aligned vertically and a single F8N. Below is a rough design layout.

Name:	Vo96KnkrNXebkxBzT51UKAPLlzCviuzYbyb7iKTlAt47-wBeZrnVjnBwgNQ56AN0ZQpYBze6rspwSU3LaglMQIwCA1_m2UJAwQhGnOdEmHJnyJDBC4yW0u_HjZ7XlbkV1kOlfWEgycHAcEf5dvErcochzwQvIw9R-mQbH0EStHQo2HzGlwbOaDM0CAPv9JpS4ZcmPFjUSFlDPSk8mMEyhNmq7T0tOe39XEKM9YpM652wqTv5By61cs21arKK_Hg
Views:	278
Size:	90.4 KB
ID:	1439734
    I believe this speakers should have the same crossover as the Hivi diy3.1 as the drivers used are very similar so I am going to use the diy3.1 crossover for the center speaker. Below is stock crossover for the diy3.1

There is also a perfectionist mod crossover as below

I am not sure if this design would work well as a center speakers. Another options is to go for a W(TM)W design like most center speakers but instead of a single F8N, I could go for two F6N woofers. Because this is my first time building speakers and I have very little knowledge on crossover, I would really appreciate if anyone can tell me if I can use the same crossover when I use two F6N drivers? Or do I need a new crossover for the woofers? How is the wiring for the two woofers?

You have different drivers, therefore, you need a different xover. You moved the drivers' positions on the speaker, so you need a different xover than your current 3-ways have. You also laid the cabinet on its side, so the BSC/diffraction are affected- guess what? New xover required.

Later,
    Wolf
    "Wolf, you shall now be known as "King of the Zip ties." -Pete00t
    "Wolf and speakers equivalent to Picasso and 'Blue'" -dantheman
    "He is a true ambassador for this forum and speaker DIY in general." -Ed Froste
    "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:
    http://photobucket.com/Wolf-Speakers_and_more

My blog/writeups/thoughts here at PE:
    http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102

Comment

I did the mod for the DIY 3.1 crossover. Looking at your speakers, they look pretty good and there is a good chance they can sound good. They are considerably different than the 3.1's though. Woofer and tweeter are different drivers that are unlikely to work well with the 3.1 crossover. The midrange I found to be functionally the same. The orientation of the woofer relative to the mid and tweeter would also be likely to require some adjustments to the crossover. As sometimes happens, I am going to have to agree with Wolf on this one.
      Keep an open mind, but don't let your brain fall out.

Sehlin Sound Solutions

Comment

Thank you guys so much for the reply. I just google and learn about BSC/ Diffraction. Its seems like DIY a speaker is not so easy after all. What if I just buy another S8 speaker for center duty and put it horizontally, but rotate the tweeter 90deg to match the L/R speakers? Would that be ok? I try to find a matching center with the same drivers but they don't have it. That is why I need to diy it.

I haven't receive the S8 yet and the first thing I will do is probably check out the crossover in the speakers when it arrive. For crossover design, I need some software for measurement right? Can it be tweak from the original crossover?

Comment

This are the driver comparison between the S8 and the DIY3.1. The specs and frequencies are very very similar so does it mean that they can be interchanged? The DIY3.1 are crossed over at 1.1kz and 4.8kz.
          Click image for larger version  Name:	UTQ8UxyDvm1Qk5fzLBuIs5ipWp4xSadMUJdnBcsqxYiZXJA1Vhj29jlbOK2PRDcrAlnu4SZZTsr-8KqBWUM4s8mY3Q5ygeTSHB9uJb09OifYZAcmwxEPrux_nR75VbPg_5c3YouiQx5Lqb40jV3nV2fNq36KuLeDnPpjxUl42HNdUKDvUzAiVR-77fLSPfzky8bkzy-jmVLfqoZ47hIWs8Z9mWro9NA4IuCpQmo2MuVKVqbRwCxQ31clRQ70npx Views:	0 Size:	122.0 KB ID:	1439817Click image for larger version  Name:	wCEZsp7EYSwTLd08PTka-KVqJy7KfCtLEsdNlw1EhyqRBVzqtepg14qgiF6sc9iPZSf-P2SPW-XqIa5PQJI1M7TWo1-xJxnJo929vvIuVYKL4cqq_wXq3O_0SLoWOEyIGiqzdHJjLEd5pibLZOzokP0HvgqLc4B40_lFqzEWWNwqFfIUIbYCddph20UtZrz2YtxO_VJZ7gwXf0DgPLzeUojbU2DAStfU2ZAiUnrfivZ9AoyYZMilvJwY72j3N2c Views:	0 Size:	100.5 KB ID:	1439819
          Click image for larger version  Name:	xe_zVKifMn3mJLGZdg9WkAfGRjfJLElzHf6T_osf34K8SnuGMCYZaPnvgn3Xd9GLxapO3rUkGJCd6v0heHEtCGNqO8FeSIbceEuLkFDsJo-QTTOh2MLUToxm4xjdd-z5ge0EJ9XLGyLqA4iWKBwBgOlnDomRDdz6gDBP3zdl-3VuDEwO2LSrzm11U4ys6B2bEFilVD9mJqZwdurk1guzBtAqNq_gpSPg25Y3rwRcMBO3I0gbvH4DqXB3njUa5GN Views:	0 Size:	125.8 KB ID:	1439818

Comment

I don't think it would be a bad idea to get another S8 and make a new baffle for it, following your TM(W on the side) layout.
            Don't know if that's a "divider" shown on your box plan, but w/the mid-dome being closed back, the woofer's probably using all the air space inside the cab.
            That plan (w/the S8 XO) should get you pretty close (surely within "tweaking" range).

Comment

Originally posted by Chris Roemer View Post
              I don't think it would be a bad idea to get another S8 and make a new baffle for it, following your TM(W on the side) layout.
              Don't know if that's a "divider" shown on your box plan, but w/the mid-dome being closed back, the woofer's probably using all the air space inside the cab.
              That plan (w/the S8 XO) should get you pretty close (surely within "tweaking" range).
              Thanks Chris. Yes, I put a divider inside the cabinet to strengthen the cabinet.

Comment

But w/"through" holes, so the woofer's not boxed in, right?
                It's nearly just as effective to just run a 1" dowel (or 1" sq piece of scrap) from front to back.

Comment

Originally posted by Chris Roemer View Post
                  But w/"through" holes, so the woofer's not boxed in, right?
                  It's nearly just as effective to just run a 1" dowel (or 1" sq piece of scrap) from front to back.
                  Yes, with through holes. Thanks for the 1" dowel suggestion. Is it necessary to line up the tweeter and mid vertically? One of the options to to just get one S8 for and just lay it down on its side as center speaker and rotate the tweeter 90deg since the tweeter has good horizontal dispersion but weak vertical dispersion.

Comment

Well, you can always just TRY it laying down (but you'd have to rotate the tweeter - as you've mentioned).
                    It's "better" to have the tweeter over the mid - but a new baffle/box will be a lot more work.
                    The concern is "lobing" (off-axis), but - you would find it hard to tell (probably) where the best horizontal position (on the couch) was w/out doing measurements.

Comment

I learn something today...lobing. Having drivers horizontally could results is lobing issues which could be difficult for determining the center sweat spot.
                      Then what if I go for W(MC)W with two 6" F6N instead of one 8" F8N drivers?
                      Click image for larger version  Name:	VJ4svUsstQfIVTXyue1fXU0JLxGeYbR1RsHRKwf62o6DKs5LZWtD7Yl8BI0AXb4SHycAzrXfA5pM7BDh-xJhBD9ttuv1rxZFVzMr2CDDO2B-2gLSTwYAjcK2fsT_9hxUtjKN-uzGo0FQwL2nAd7uuovUGjVbmYu3bMJHPI1CcITOUcSsuooCbNAPEzt7T6FTjq8gdoCzsMvMiXFOXfYg7DCpreCd3aLFtnUgAi3Ox3plT59P9Ve6YoAPbWsHRLf Views:	0 Size:	36.5 KB ID:	1440012

With the same tweeter and mid, I should be able to use the same crossovers, except for the woofer crossover which need to be tweak? By changing from one 8" bass driver to two 6" bass would result in different bass output level right? And the bass driver should be wired in series? Changing the cabinet size and dimension should not affect the Tweeter/Mid since the are both close back, but it will affect the bass?

Is there any software that I can simulate the response so I can get it close to the S8? I don't really need it to be perfect. For movies, I have a SVS sub for the low end stuff.

Comment

I Just learn that its better to get the bass driver as close together as possible. So came up with an update design that places all the drivers as close to the center as possible. How many rear bass port is suitable for this design?

Name:	WVfSZMNsVlRfrqyugGtRk-biIIuKtpDBxrAUjcOTet4k_KgPIcERjrW6KxQcRolgi1XYfWnD_4mitYBhTP4wdmoJLvLu-J24cnkR3URcLSjD6O9AJ0AgBj29AyTgrK8nGVFVdEFIfw2qjZc7F4uzMkuHJIJ_JPXpTaCwt9jVndk4sKKNQqvh89TELkuKmRciKpYdRKhhY_FEDxZwPw6pmhECd9I_EdiqUkilbAn_4slxXPtnt0FbInvjQw8R4A1
Views:	156
Size:	42.2 KB
ID:	1440018

Comment

I would place a slot-port forward on each end of the front baffle- if this is your final positioning. Honestly, either of the last two should be okay as the wavelength at the lower xover point is usually long enough to not cause an issue. You can xover the DMN-A or DMB-A at about 850-900Hz to make this less of a concern.

Later,
                          Wolf
                          "Wolf, you shall now be known as "King of the Zip ties." -Pete00t
                          "Wolf and speakers equivalent to Picasso and 'Blue'" -dantheman
                          "He is a true ambassador for this forum and speaker DIY in general." -Ed Froste
                          "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:
                          http://photobucket.com/Wolf-Speakers_and_more

My blog/writeups/thoughts here at PE:
                          http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102

Comment

The S8 main speakers is rear ported. Should the center speaker be rear ported too? Or it can be front ported. Should I put divider in the cabinet to close off each woofers with their own independent volume and bass port (based on the driver's spec) or it can be with divider but with hole to make one big volume?

Comment

Front port would be fine and would reduce the issue with placing it closer to the wall. The woofers don’t need two separate compartments as long as you account for the appropriate volume for both of them in one single enclosure.

Comment

Working...
                              X