Using Seas L22rn4x/p as subwoofer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Using Seas L22rn4x/p as subwoofer

Im new to speaker building. I have a Seas L22rn4x/p woofer. I was wandering if it might work as a moderate powered subwoofer. I have a Dayton Audio sa 100 amp. I thinking maybe a 1.1 to 1.2 cf box ported. The port I have is 2.5 inches. Im thinking that it will stay in x max limits with that power in that size of box. I dont have any modeling programs. Thanks in advance

Do yourself a favor and download winisd. It’s really easy to use.
    http://www.linearteam.org/

Comment

That should work OK. F3 in the mid 30s when tuned to the low 30s (10" -11" long).
      I'd consider 2-1/2"id the min. for an 8" woofer (and I'd recommend a generous roundover on the exit, AND aiming the exit away from your listening position - like out the back).

I've got 2 datasets on that driver; one shows Xmax as +/-7mm, the other shows 14mm?
      WinISD is FREE ( linearteam.org ) and fun (but won't run on a Mac). -sc

Comment

The 14 mm Xmax spec is more than likely meant to be peak to peak.
        Paul

Originally posted by Chris Roemer View Post
        That should work OK. F3 in the mid 30s when tuned to the low 30s (10" -11" long).
        I'd consider 2-1/2"id the min. for an 8" woofer (and I'd recommend a generous roundover on the exit, AND aiming the exit away from your listening position - like out the back).

I've got 2 datasets on that driver; one shows Xmax as +/-7mm, the other shows 14mm?
        WinISD is FREE ( linearteam.org ) and fun (but won't run on a Mac). -sc

Comment

Originally posted by dld View Post
          Do yourself a favor and download winisd. It’s really easy to use.
          http://www.linearteam.org/
          Thanks for the link

Comment

I tend to listen to, not heavy bass content music

Comment

Originally posted by rob066 View Post
              Im new to speaker building. I have a Seas L22rn4x/p woofer. I was wandering if it might work as a moderate powered subwoofer. I have a Dayton Audio sa 100 amp. I thinking maybe a 1.1 to 1.2 cf box ported. The port I have is 2.5 inches. Im thinking that it will stay in x max limits with that power in that size of box. I dont have any modeling programs. Thanks in advance
              this is a very nice woofer. you are right on with box size. with a 2.5 inch port about 7 - 8 inches long you will be in the low 30's. i would not tune this driver to the lowest frequencies you can get. one thing to remember, this is not a subwoofer, this is a woofer. i do not think a 100 watt plate amp is your best choice either. just some things to think about.

p.s. linear travel is 7 mm p to p ( peak to peak), that means 14 mm travel. x max is around 20 mm.
              craigk

" Voicing is often the term used for band aids to cover for initial design/planning errors " - Pallas

Comment

I made a 1.2 cf box , and installed 3inch 10 in long ports. It surely isnt the best tuning but she is rolling some nice bass. I didnt put the sa 100 in the box. I left it seperate in case it fails I aleast can look alternative methods to drive if the amp pukes.. THE SA 100 drives nice at 1/4 gain. Especially at 75 watt for an 8 ohm load. I also have it hooked to a LFE y,ed out

Comment

I used my second Seas and built another box like my first. Still driven by the Dayton sa 100 wired in parallel. I like the bass quite impressive. I had a Jl AUDIO 12w0v3 with a Dayton spa 250 in a 1.80 cuf box. The bass was good but not nearly as clean or the sq the Seas can do.

Comment

Working...
                  X