No announcement yet.

Everyone's favorite pair of headphones.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Everyone's favorite pair of headphones.

Philips SHP9500
    This pair checks every box for me. Open back, super comfortable for my above average sized head, and very clear dialog. They make me almost question why i'm using speakers sometimes. I mostly use them for gaming, the dialog is so clear and they are easy to drive. The lack of pressure on my ear and the open sound stage make this my favorite pair.

While I would consider them almost perfect, but there are some aspects not everyone will agree on. The open back allows everyone to hear the audio, they are light on bass, and they will fall off of even my head pretty easily.

If you can find them for around 50$ there defiantly worth it. The price has been fluctuating wildly the last few years though, depending on stock levels. Although it seems more leveled off now. They were selling over 100 for awhile, but I got a pair from big forest for around 50 on BF.

Also, I was not paid for this review.

I really like the MDR-V6 and MDR-7506 Sonys, leaning toward the 7506. I have MDR-V700DJ, and they are nice too.
    I've heard Audezes, Sennheisers, Behringer, Talent, and others.

The Audezes are like speakers for your head and sound incredible. Spacious and detailed.
    Sennheisers (HD600) are really nice too.
    Behr- PTUI!
    Talent- not bad really. Comfy, not too big, little oomph'd bass and a relaxed midrange. Cheap!

I really like the pair I put together with the Peerless 50mm drivers in a pair of Pyle sacrificial frames that look like the V700. My plan is to purchase another set of drivers, and mod a set of Talents for a blend of both. The Peerless drivers are really nice!

Later,
    Wolf
    "Wolf, you shall now be known as "King of the Zip ties." -Pete00t
    "Wolf and speakers equivalent to Picasso and 'Blue'" -dantheman
    "He is a true ambassador for this forum and speaker DIY in general." -Ed Froste
    "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:
    http://photobucket.com/Wolf-Speakers_and_more

My blog/writeups/thoughts here at PE:
    http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102

Comment

My favorites are not the best sounding or most comfortable cans. My Grado SR-80's are like my first car. They have a lot of flaws, but they introduced me to a whole new world. They still make me smile. And my teenage sons think they were made in the '50's and are baffled that they still work with modern electronics.

Comment

I'll keep my Grado's till they fall apart. Then 15 years later, I call Grado and they send me replacement parts for free! Yes they did. Boy's Sennheiser hdxx and my cheap Grados are night and day different but I prefer the mid's on my Grado's by a wide margin, everything else goes to the hdxx. Of course this is with good amplicication: Boy has a Schitt stack, plus an Altoids cmos and Bravo head amp. I just use an Aune X1 to drive phones.
        http://techtalk.parts-express.com/fo...khanspires-but
        http://techtalk.parts-express.com/fo...pico-neo-build
        http://techtalk.parts-express.com/fo...ensation-build

Comment

For me I have two pairs, Audio Technica Audio-Technica ATH-PRO5MK2CM

ive had them for over 10 years and had to replace the ear pads a couple of times but well worth it.

I also bought a set of Marshall Major III Bluetooth headphones and I have been impressed by those as well, very long battery life and not bad wearing for long periods, which I've managed to test during this working from home period. Not to mention they have a mic

Comment

Audio-Technica M50x: full, but balanced and non-fatiguing sound. A$220, approx. Biggest drawback is the size, they are bulky and hard to walk along with.

Very detailed sound, comfortable on the ear and my favourite of the various 'phones I've owned over many years.

Geoff

Comment

Sony MDR-7506 and AKG K601. I use the K601 as my sanity check headphone for speaker tuning, because of its flat response. Have some Audeze LCD-2s also, which are perhaps not as accurate as the K601s but are nice and lush sounding.
              Francis

Comment

I bought the Sony MDR-V6 based on 1/2 hour of intense internet research. Great for sorting out dialog on British programming.

Comment

Originally posted by fpitas View Post
                  Sony MDR-7506 and AKG K601. I use the K601 as my sanity check headphone for speaker tuning, because of its flat response. Have some Audeze LCD-2s also, which are perhaps not as accurate as the K601s but are nice and lush sounding.
                  There seem to be a lot of new planar headphones popping up for sale now. Wonder why?
                  http://techtalk.parts-express.com/fo...khanspires-but
                  http://techtalk.parts-express.com/fo...pico-neo-build
                  http://techtalk.parts-express.com/fo...ensation-build

Comment

Originally posted by Geoff Millar View Post
                    Audio-Technica M50x: full, but balanced and non-fatiguing sound. A$220, approx. Biggest drawback is the size, they are bulky and hard to walk along with.

Very detailed sound, comfortable on the ear and my favourite of the various 'phones I've owned over many years.

Geoff
                    I had the m50x's, but ended up preferring the m40x's for the leaner bass. The AT cans are definitely well made if a bit crude looking. They don't show any signs of wear after a few years of indifferent care. I can't say the same about my Sennheiser HD 598se or Grado's. The Senn's cable plug is a little finicky and the headset now creaks a bit if I move around while using them. Still the most comfortable set I've ever used. The Grado's are super light and getting a little loose after many years. No complaints. I feel like they are all better value than any commercial speakers I've purchased.

Comment

Originally posted by Kornbread View Post

There seem to be a lot of new planar headphones popping up for sale now. Wonder why?
                      A lot of them take beastly amounts of power to sound their best. But given the power they do sound good.
                      Francis

Comment

Last fall I stuck my toes in the water and got some Senn hd650's, hd600's and hifiman he-400i's for my nephew and I to test and choose his gift. So I have little to compare them to and I thought it would be a tough choice, but the hd600's were my choice in a matter of minutes. My nephew and I chose the same pair to keep ... they are very comfortable for me so I had to get another pair for myself.

Comment

KEF M400
                          A bit awkward design, wired, but probably the best sound in headphones I ever had.

Comment

I've used the MDR-7506 for alot of drum tracking, as well as Sennheiser HD 280 PRO. I think that my 280's are 15 years old, beaten down looking like a junk yard dog, and they still sound like the day that I bought them. (After 100 hours of break in play) My niece is a drummer too, and I sent her a pair of the new ones, and she loves them, to the point of going away from using in ears. Have any of you gotten to listen to the ESS 422H AMT,/moving coil driver cans? I've thought about a pair for personal listening use, and they are still out there at introductory pricing. 149 vs.699 retail. I don't use phones very often for fun, as I like feeling a pressurized room, but those, and maybe open backs have gotten me intrigued just to try. Glenn.

Comment

I love detail, transparency and flat ferquency response even for casual listening, so after trying a couple of Sennheiser models got some AKG 702s and sold the Sennheisers. Just my opinion.

Comment

Working...
                              X