18650 Battery recommendations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 18650 Battery recommendations

going down a rabbit hole again and again with this build.....i'm looking for 18650 Battery recommendations, i see the e-cigarette shops, electrical shops and even hardware stores sell them and there are some claiming 4500ma and others half of that. Panasonic, samsung, LG, ultrafire, high drain, low consumption etc, really dont know what or who to beleive.....

so recommendations please

i beleive my charging board TP4056 will draw a maximum of 1A, so i'll be limited to 2000-3000ma.

Hi, this is very informative! https://youtu.be/qMZuHMlRw_0

Comment

Ultrafires are counterfeited a lot. You really need to figure out what your requirements are. 18650s are just as varied as lead acid batteries. At a minimum to pick a battery requires knowing average discharge rate, max discharge rate, cutt off voltage and number of charge discharge cycles expected. A cell that is used in a drill is radically different from one used in a cell phone, even though they're both lithium ion. If you just want to try something find an old laptop and salvage some cells from the battery pack.

Comment

Also the top tier brands only make up to 3400mah cells, anyone claiming higher is false advertising.
        I found a "lot sale" on ebay for 9 laptop batteries that were supposed to be 5000mah packs (4s 2p) so each cell should be 2500mah, but after opening them up, they're marked as 6.66Wh each which works out to be 1800mah. So just be aware that a good price frequently comes with caveats.

Comment

Originally posted by MartyMG View Post
          Hi, this is very informative! https://youtu.be/qMZuHMlRw_0
          Was an interesting video indeed, I have a couple of Chinese ones from my local hardware store and I think they are junk, claim to be 2200ma and for solar lights.

I can get some Panasonic ones for a good price locally, might have a look for a sony or LG as well

Comment

Trusted source.

https://www.batteryjunction.com/18650.html

Comment

check this place out as well
              https://www.18650batterystore.com/default.asp
              they have not ran any specials on any cells right now. yea most of the good 18650 cells will max out at 3400/3500 mAH with slightly lower discharge rates vs say a 2500-3000 mAH cell. really not much larger in size is the 21700 cell, you can find those as high as 5000mAH ratings, samsung and LG both make one.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike E View Post
                check this place out as well
                https://www.18650batterystore.com/default.asp
                they have not ran any specials on any cells right now. yea most of the good 18650 cells will max out at 3400/3500 mAH with slightly lower discharge rates vs say a 2500-3000 mAH cell. really not much larger in size is the 21700 cell, you can find those as high as 5000mAH ratings, samsung and LG both make one.
                Cheers for that, are they state side? I think being in Australia there may be issues with shipping if they are

Comment

BatteryJunction is a source I've used for several years now for lots of batteries and a dozen or so flashlights. I would say that you can trust their specs and that they sell safe batteries that match their specs.

PE's 18650's are really good too, and they are reasonable price wise. Not too cost effective for shipping to the land down under I guess though. I've searched Mike's 18650battery store, seem to have a nice selection, but I've never purchased from them.

In my opinion, as has been mentioned.... many online sellers who are not larger online storefronts may be selling counterfeit batteries, I've gotten some from Amazon, etc. that were lousy and had maybe half the run time of a quality battery of the same amp rating.

TomZ
                  *Veneering curves, seams, using heat-lock iron on method *Trimming veneer & tips *Curved Sides glue-up video
                  *Part 2 *Gluing multiple curved laminations of HDF *Cello's Speaker Project Page

*Building the "Micro-B 2.1 Plate Amplifier -- Part 1 * Part 2 * Part 3 * Part 4 * * Part 5 'Review' * -- Assembly Instructions PDF

Comment

3,400 / 3,500 mAh is the max for 18650 Li-Ion cells. That's physics. Anything above that is marketing bull. There's all sorts of hacks on these cells. Name brand wrappers on off-brand cells. Cells that didn't meet quality control and are sold off to third party sellers and then to you, etc.

Buy a name brand (Panasonic, LG, Samsung, Sanyo). from a reputable dealer.

Comment

Originally posted by Millstonemike View Post
                      3,400 / 3,500 mAh is the max for 18650 Li-Ion cells. That's physics. Anything above that is marketing bull. There's all sorts of hacks on these cells. Name brand wrappers on off-brand cells. Cells that didn't meet quality control and are sold off to third party sellers and then to you, etc.

Buy a name brand (Panasonic, LG, Samsung, Sanyo). from a reputable dealer.
                      Mike, any LIPO batteries name brand like the 18650 cells? i was looking at a dry fit of the can speaker and i'm looking for the smallest footprint possible. I'm starting to think i may have under estimated a couple of things, but have worked th majority out through small redesigns. I think the 18mm diameter and 65mm height is the killer so far as this unit will be 60mm internal diameter and 140mm high with a passive and 1.5" driver.

A few ideas i've been thinking was getting a 2000ma LIPO and working it into the screw in base as i've seen 50x40mm units i could lay flat, or grab 3 500-650ma ones from drones and run them in parallel and glue it to the top or last one that i thought of, get a panasonic 18650 with tabs, solder directly to it and hot glue it as close to the passive as possible, but it will be mm's away from the back of the driver.

edit.....

could one use a RCR123A battery and a TP4056 charging board? the particular one i'm reading up on now mentions it is a 3.7v battery, li-ion and 2300mah, which honestly seems to good to be true. All i know is it is an Australian dealer, but appears to be a no name brand. If this type of battery is a good option i can try and source a decent name brand if such an item exists.
                      Last edited by 3rutu5; 05-23-2020, 09:16 AM.

Comment

Panasonic,
                        They are the only ones still working in my very old laptop battery packs.
                        Tesla uses and is teaming with them.

https://www.kidneypuncher.com/18650-battery-tests/

Comment

Working...
                        X