Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

System nostalgia - ever think about recreating a former set up?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by djg View Post
    I like your cantilever shelved TV/equipment stand.
    Squib, that is exactly why I have JBL Studio 590's. All the reviews that were out on them, and Greg Timbers being the designer, plus the return policy, got me to bite. I got them for 962 US delivered, and thought if I didn't love them, I'd have ample time to evaluate them and return them to build a diy. One week in and they were really pulling me in, and by the second week I was absolutely hooked on what they did right. Paired with a buyout HSU 12 inch sub, and a Crest ProLite 2.0, they are the best thing I've heard, at anywhere near the cost. I was prepared to spend substantially more money to diy a pair with high end drivers, but for the music that I listen to 90 percent of the time, with the sub they are fantastic. Progressive rock and electric fusion is mind blowing. The Covid lock down has had me listening to album after album, more than I had since being a teenager. Glenn.

Comment

Until recently I hadn't ever had a memorable setup. The present one was created to help teach me to design speakers, and to mimic headphones, without having anything strapped to my head.
      Francis

Comment

Argh, I tried to quote Tom, Squib, and dig and lost two replies. Anyway, the monsters aren't much fun to move to different rooms, but they do fill up the room with big sound. Glenn

Comment

Looking into the man cave.

The 511 horns are, I suppose, a nod to nostalgia. The SEAS drivers flanking them, not so much.
          Francis

Comment

...From the Polk Audio forums

Comment

Originally posted by squib View Post

...From the Polk Audio forums
              "Science!!!"
              Francis

Comment

• squib
                squib commented
                Editing a comment
                Straight-up. The world's smallest scientist created these bookshelf speakers for your kitchen counters.

Originally posted by fpitas View Post

"Science!!!"
              I actually remember seeing those in person when I was a teenager at the same place I shopped for car audio.

Comment

Originally posted by davidroberts View Post

I actually remember seeing those in person when I was a teenager at the same place I shopped for car audio.
                But was there an actual white-coated audio scientician present?
                Francis

Comment

I would need a credentialed scientician to model the diffraction, baffle step, and FR for these. I am familiar with the Ohm Walsh, but never encountered the Model i in the wild.

Comment

Originally posted by squib View Post
                    I would need a credentialed scientician to model the diffraction, baffle step, and FR for these. I am familiar with the Ohm Walsh, but never encountered the Model i in the wild.
                    You may have to sit a little distance away from those to get everything to gel.
                    Francis

Comment

• squib
                      squib commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Or lean over them on a six foot tall stool/ladder. I assume there are separate enclosures for the large woofer and top mounted mid-bass attached to the two different ports. It looks like the lower port is a larger diameter.

Back in the late 80's, I had a pair of AR9 tower speakers. They could play loud and had very good bass for that era. However, in terms of vocals and details, I preferred smaller speakers such as Celestion SL6 and Spendor BC1.

Thus my wishful thinking of combining the refinement of satellite bookshelf speaker with the boldness and effortless of large floor standing speaker led me to my current 4 -way modular system.
                    Satellite speakers: stacked(MTTM) Infinity R152's for each channel. IMO, Infinity R152 sounds just as refined as some of the best British speakers. By stacking R152's for each channel, I gain sensitivity and dynamic range. I drive them with a Crown XLS 1502 so I don't have to worry about low impedance.
                    Subwoofers: Dayton RSS390-4 per channel each in 5 ft3 sealed box. They are powered by a Yamaha stereo integrated amp and filtered through a HSU variable subwoofer crossover which also boosts about 6 db at 20 hz.

Initially, the stacked Infinity R152's sound very clean but do not blend well with the Dyaton RSS390-4's, lacking the punchlines of good floor standing systems. My solution to the problem is adding a midbass only speaker to each channel to reinforce the 80 to 150 hz band. Paralleling 2 JBL 706g1(used in JBL L1 and synthesis series) in a small sealed cabinet for each channel appears to match the sensitivity of the stacked R152's quite well. The misbass speaker is connected in parallel to the satellite speaker with a series 5 mH indcutor to roll off the mid frequencies for each channel. It is amazing that my Crown amp can handle this low impedance (probably around 2 ohms) without problem.

By no means, this is an optimized 4 way system, but I have been very surprised that the midbass speaker can contribute so much to the definition and bigness of a music system. As for comparison to the old AR9s, my current system has a wider frequency response and better realism, in my personal opinion

Comment

AVA Omega lll pre and amp in Dyna chassis. North Creek Image 2 ways - Scans 18w8543 and 9300 tweeters. Early 90's until 2008 (sold via temporary mental illness). Not vintage but vintage-ish style gear. Can't remember the TT had then, but Philips 212 back in the day.
                      Heading back to that basic idea, with sub. Need some help to finish lateral mosfet amp (Ampslab M 60), tried but over my head. Got subs, rss265-8 x 2. Speaker merry go round ride is almost over...he said...😯
                      Oh and that Pioneer cassette deck with big round dial in truck. Also had upgraded from Garrard suitcase speakers in rear window of 67 Datsun. 😄 to who knows what.

Comment

Working...
                      X