wood veneer discolored

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• wood veneer discolored

Hi all, I got some mahogany veneer on clearance to practice with. Seems it has been in the store for a while when I opened it the part exposed to the light is a lot darker. I also got some wood conditioner will that fix it? I going to try some stain and natural with oil not sure if an oil finish will work on two different colored pieces. I did buy it to practice but would still like it to look nice so any suggestion on finish would be great. thanks

Many woods are photo-reactive and darken with sun exposure. I am no expert, but likely you will need to even it out with exposure to the lighter sections (cover the darker parts).
    Andy

Comment

As Andy said the sun will bleach or darken the wood, depends on the wood. There is little you can do other than try to bleach the piece to see if you can even the color but I doubt it will work. That is why even a prefinished oak hardwood floor will bleach where the sun hits it. I know as it has happened to a portion of my dining floor after 20 years of exposure.

George

Comment

Depending on the thickness of the veneer, you could also apply it and sand it. If it is the standard 1/42" thickness there should be enough meat to sand the discoloration out if you are careful. I wouldn't use a real aggressive grit though, and be careful of burn through in the corners.

Comment

Originally posted by Adam_M View Post
          Depending on the thickness of the veneer, you could also apply it and sand it. If it is the standard 1/42" thickness there should be enough meat to sand the discoloration out if you are careful. I wouldn't use a real aggressive grit though, and be careful of burn through in the corners.
          Agreed, it should sand out.

Comment

Thanks for the help, I've been trying different stains. Pecan stain almost matches the dark area with 2 coat on the light area and a third on both. Also tried bombay mahogany its so dark it hides everything maybe a mix of natural mahogany and bombay on the dark separated with black trim . Didn't even think of sanding it I will give that a try.

Comment

Working...
            X