• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• using wide band drivers as tweeter aka full range

Is this a yes or no . Or are you best to use a tweeter

depends...

Comment

I haven't done it, but there are many projects which use, for example, VIFA's TC-7 (2.5") or TC-9 (3.5") as the 'tweeter', with a 6-8" woofer, with reportedly good results. I'd love to try it but don't have the excuse for more speakers right now.

If your hearing is like mine - runs out at 10,000Hz - this sort of arrangement could be a "Yes".

The main 'No' in my case would be the 'beaming' of higher frequencies as you move away from the speakers, I don't always listen in the 'sweet spot'. Also, those VIFA drivers, particularly the TC9, have lower efficiency than a dome tweeter, so the speaker won't play as loud, if that's a priority.

IIRC, a TC7 and RS225 combination won its category at a Midwest Audio Fest competition some years ago and there's a speaker in the PE Project Gallery which uses a TC7 with a Peerless woofer. Also a long discussion on DIY Audio about using a Scan-Speak full range or TC9 with the RS225 or other 8" woofers.

Geoff

Comment

Tweeters will have advantages like better highs/treble off-axis (better dispersion) and overall louder maximum SPL/volume compared to the small 2inch-3inch fullrange speakers that have decent highs (tweeters generally have similar or better wattage handling compared to these small speakers while also being more efficient, aka louder watt-per-watt). There's not a big difference in price between these two options though there are some excellent tweeters that are a little cheaper than most small speakers.
        The main advantage for using a small fullrange speaker instead of a tweeter is the speaker's ability to crossover much lower while many tweeters will have FS around 1000hz-2000hz.

If you are making a 2way design that needs the woofer to cross really low but the build doesn't need to hit roughly over 99db-102db, then using a small fullranger instead of a tweeter can be a way to do this. Otherwise I'd say using a tweeter holds most/all of the advantages.

If you're looking up designs using a fullrange driver instead of a tweeter, they're often refered to as "FAST" in titles/tags.
        My first 2way build

Comment

Fullrange or widerange usually have much lower harmonic distortion than typical dedicated tweeters so there’s a plus. As others have mentioned, there’s the efficiency issue where tweeters are most often more efficient......not sure how much a plus these days with amplifier power being so cheap. Beaming.....yep....off axis these larger drivers roll off dramatically so best for seated on axis listening......but less room interaction so another plus.

As advances in tech progress in the class of small fullrange drivers, both efficiency and power handling are getting closer to the domes many 1 1/4 domes out there.

Comment

The larger the radiating surface the narrower the dispersion at higher frequencies. A general, if somewhat simplistic, rule of thumb is you don't want the radiating plane wider than 1 wavelength. 1 wavelength at 1.5kHz is nine inches, at 15kHz it's 0.9 inches. This is the main reason why midranges are smaller than woofers, and tweeters smaller than midranges.
            www.billfitzmaurice.com
            www.billfitzmaurice.info/forum

Comment

Originally posted by billfitzmaurice View Post
              The larger the radiating surface the narrower the dispersion at higher frequencies. A general, if somewhat simplistic, rule of thumb is you don't want the radiating plane wider than 1 wavelength. 1 wavelength at 1.5kHz is nine inches, at 15kHz it's 0.9 inches. This is the main reason why midranges are smaller than woofers, and tweeters smaller than midranges.
              Is this what they call beaming? Low drivers crossed high

Comment

It is. The worst offenders are electric guitar speakers, which run twelves up to 6kHz or more. Stand in front of them and the highs will take your head off, move fifteen degrees off-axis and you can't hear them at all.
                www.billfitzmaurice.com
                www.billfitzmaurice.info/forum

Comment

Small full range open baffle can sound quite good on axis.
                  John H

Synergy Horn, SLS-85, BMR-3L, Mini-TL, BR-2, Titan OB, B452, Udique, Vultus, Latus1, Seriatim, Aperivox,Pencil Tower

Comment

These sound pretty darn good for what they are. I resurrected these from many years ago. They were an old project that I started for shop speakers that I never fished for one reason or another. I pulled them out and dusted them off and started playing around with them while in "quarantine". The set-up is a Swan 305 12" woofer and a Fostex FE126En full range. No tweeter. I haven't done any off axis measurements yet and I may do some more work on the filter in the 4-6k range but the baseline sounds pretty good for a shop speaker. I have them crossed about 350Hz. There are some pretty large component values but I bought the cheapest parts I could get and the crossovers cost me about $70 for both speakers. It was mostly an experiment to see if I could do it more than anything.

Click image for larger version

Name:	0507202052-1746x2328.jpg
Views:	208
Size:	600.4 KB
ID:	1440539

Name:	XO5 MEAS.JPG
Views:	204
Size:	680.1 KB
ID:	1440540

Name:	SG X05.JPG
Views:	221
Size:	313.3 KB
ID:	1440538
                    Not trying to hijack the thread. Just letting you know it has been done more than a few times.

Matthew
                    BSME
                    Kannapolis NC

Comment

I've been thinking of trying these (below) in waveguides after finding the older 1" TB inverse dome tweeters sound very good in wgs. The older version is no longer available, but there's a newer version of the tweeter with a protective shield. One idea is to try the fill range 2" version linked below paired with some of the Peerless NE series woofers.

https://www.parts-express.com/tang-b...river--264-803
                      Last edited by TN Allen; 05-18-2020, 04:49 AM. Reason: Forgot link

Comment

I've been looking at those peerless woofs too.
                        The 4ohm is flatter.

The copper cap makes for an easy crossover, even a 6db time aligned phase aligned is an option.

Comment

Working...
                        X