Stock resistor value for Dayton Audio B652 Air tweeter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stock resistor value for Dayton Audio B652 Air tweeter

Hello good people. I added a crossover to my B652 Airs but since I cut out the resistor in the tweeter circuit I need to pad it now. What is the stock impedance of the B652 Air? I want to match impedance with the woofer which is 8 ohms so I need to know the stock impedance plus the difference to make 8 ohms. Since I'm new to this how would I put the resistor in the tweeter path?

Anyone?

Comment

Your crossover SIM doesn't give you some idea what value to use?
      Francis

Comment

There is a 6.8uF cap and a 3 ohm resistor in series with the air tweeter, but there is a lot of room of improvement to be made. Do some googling on crossover mods. noaudiophile did an in-depth review as well as others.
        My Builds - Vigor (Nola Brio Knockoff) - Overnight Sensations w/ Voxel - Speedsters in surplus boxes - Zaph B3N's in bamboo - Classix II in BR-1 cabinets - Dual TPA3116 D2 amp in an old music box - Mariposas

Comment

If I can ask, exactly what crossover did you "add" to your Airs?

Comment

Maybe this might prove useful:

http://www.zaphaudio.com/Dayton-B652.html

Geoff

Comment

• LOUT
              LOUT commented
              Editing a comment
              The XaphAudio review has some good points for improving the box and woofer, but it's looking at the standard tweeter version instead of the B652AIR and its AMT style tweeter which probably benefits from a different crossover or crossover-mod compared to that older version.

I don't even know what the impedance of the tweeter is for the B652-Air speakers nor much else about it aside from a couple things from similar listings and its limited PE info, so this is only a rough guess. I think disconnecting the wire where it meets the tweeter's capacitor and adding a 8ohm resistor between that wire and that capacitor should be a safe bet (this should be about where the old 3ohm resistor used to be).

This is only guessing because I think that woofer is rated around 85-86db sensitivity at 8ohms and most of the small AMT's are around 87db@8ohm/90db@4ohm sensitivity...and adding an 8ohm resisitor in line for any of those should tame them down to around 80-82db which is at least a good starting place. You'll still need that small capacitor or some other fairly small-value capacitor in-line with the tweeter to avoid breaking it when playing anything through the speakers...don't play them with just a resisitor.

If you're changing from the default 3ohm tweeter resistor to a larger 8ohm to tame it down farther, you could probably add something like a 1.0mH inductor in-line with the 6.5" woofer to tame down its mids similarly and help the speaker sound a bit more bassy and deep, but this is still just a rough guess and even a cheap 1.0mH inductor will cost around $4 for each woofer.

If somebody else has advice on crossovers/parts on that B652AIR which are different, they likely know much more about it than I do.
            My first 2way build

Comment

Originally posted by Chris Roemer View Post
              If I can ask, exactly what crossover did you "add" to your Airs?
              Yes, that's intriguing. Evidently one that doesn't include tweeter padding.
              Francis

Comment

I used the Dayton Audio 2 way crossover rated at 2,500 Hz. So what you are saying I might be able to use a 6.8uF cap and 8 ohm resistor in series for each tweeter.

Comment

• LOUT
                  LOUT commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Chris Roemer's suggestion below makes a lot more sense than what I was talking about.

Just put the 3ohm (stock) resistor back inline between your new XO and the tweeter. Put the 6.8uF cap in your parts box.

Comment

• goosala
                  goosala commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Chris, so you are saying the tweeter does not need to be protected with the cap because of the crossover?

why did you put a new XO in your Airs, and why pick 2.5kHz when the little AMT says no lower than 3.5k?

Comment

If the new crossover you're using has a 4.0uF cap instead of the old 6.8uF cap, that new crossover (along with your 3ohm resistor like Chris mentioned) should protect the little AMT tweeter at an equal or slightly higher point than the previous, larger/6.8uF cap.....so you'll still have a capacitor protecting the tweeter from lows AND the old resistor taming its overall volume down.

Unless you're using the 4ohm version of that premade crossover (I don't see that specified nor linked anywhere....kinda important) which uses a larger ~8uF cap which lets that tweeter play a bit lower than the old 6.8uF cap and might damage it....though I think its own rolloff might save it a little if you aren't pushing these speakers too hard. Not sure I'd want to bet their lives on it though if you're on a budget in the first place.

Do you remember which version of those premade crossovers you got, the 8ohm or 4ohm version (or if you can't remember/tell, the price is different between them as well...so that might be enough info for us to know which is which)?
                  My first 2way build

Comment

Those XOs don't come in 2 vers., lout. They have 8n components and a ("quasi") 4n connection - for a 4n woofer only.

Comment

Originally posted by silverD View Post
                      There is a 6.8uF cap and a 3 ohm resistor in series with the air tweeter, but there is a lot of room of improvement to be made. Do some googling on crossover mods. noaudiophile did an in-depth review as well as others.
                      http://noaudiophile.com/Dayton_B652/

Oh, my.
                      Francis

Comment

Originally posted by fpitas View Post
                        That was the non-air version, here is the Air.
                        My Builds - Vigor (Nola Brio Knockoff) - Overnight Sensations w/ Voxel - Speedsters in surplus boxes - Zaph B3N's in bamboo - Classix II in BR-1 cabinets - Dual TPA3116 D2 amp in an old music box - Mariposas

Comment

Working...
                        X