For some questions about Paul Carmody's Voxel SUB, please ask for help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• For some questions about Paul Carmody's Voxel SUB, please ask for help

Click image for larger version  Name:	W5-1138SMF-help.png Views:	0 Size:	36.8 KB ID:	1441128
    I am a novice DIY speaker, I believe some friends know.
    I want to install the speaker on the front or bottom. So I adjusted the size of the original cabinet, the volume is 7.8L. I don't know if my adjustment is correct, I hope to get your guidance. The plate I use is 18mm mdf, I bought a PVC pipe with an inner diameter of 38mm, and there is another kind of Port, which helps me choose the better.

Click image for larger version  Name:	QQ图片20200520153052.png Views:	0 Size:	149.9 KB ID:	1441129
    Click image for larger version  Name:	QQ图片20200522170959.png Views:	0 Size:	437.2 KB ID:	1441130

I uploaded the SketchUp document to the Internet, which can be downloaded and viewed

http://www.9sheng.cn/W5-1138SMF-help.rar

Thanks again to Paul Carmody's for such an excellent design, and thanks to KEtheredge87 for sharing a lot of Voxel information.

Your box should work OK.
    I'd consider 38mm a MINimum dia. for the port - and still it's prone to chuffing. I'd put it on the back (at any rate - aim it AWAY from your listening postion).
    Even if the original Voxel used a 38mm port, the large roundovers (on the ends) cut down chuffing a LOT !
    Can you roundover (at least) your port's exit from the box (most people use a roundover bit in a router to do that).
    It's also recommended that your inside port ends one diameter from an interior wall (that would be 3.8cm). I think you've got 2.4cm? (it's possibly OK though)

Comment

Originally posted by Chris Roemer View Post
      Your box should work OK.
      I'd consider 38mm a MINimum dia. for the port - and still it's prone to chuffing. I'd put it on the back (at any rate - aim it AWAY from your listening postion).
      Even if the original Voxel used a 38mm port, the large roundovers (on the ends) cut down chuffing a LOT !
      Can you roundover (at least) your port's exit from the box (most people use a roundover bit in a router to do that).
      It's also recommended that your inside port ends one diameter from an interior wall (that would be 3.8cm). I think you've got 2.4cm? (it's possibly OK though)
      A related question. Is this a general rule for port tubes or only for this design? If a port tube is too long for the enclosure can you get away with a 90 degree bend near the inside end?

Comment

I'd shoot for a 1.5"id w/most 5" woofers, but - this being a long-stroke "sub", 2" would make me more comfortable.
        And YES, I'd definitely use an elbow (90, OR 45*). The effective port length is the same you'd get if you ran a tape measure right down the middle of the port (including any elbow radius).

Comment

Thanks for that. That solution may be helpful for a future project.

Comment

I flared the end of the port. Is this OK ?
            Click image for larger version

Name:	port.jpg
Views:	255
Size:	126.6 KB
ID:	1441518

Comment

Looks good

Comment

With the help of KEtheredge87, I went through some research. In the end, he chose his design. I think I like this appearance.

Name:	00006.png
Views:	229
Size:	57.8 KB
ID:	1441684

Name:	004.png
Views:	220
Size:	503.7 KB
ID:	1441685

PORT my use PVC with 38 inner diameter and 42 outer diameter, and the length is 24CM
                I will build in the near future, and I will continue to share pictures with you

Comment

Originally posted by 9sheng View Post
                  With the help of KEtheredge87, I went through some research. In the end, he chose his design. I think I like this appearance.

Name:	00006.png
Views:	229
Size:	57.8 KB
ID:	1441684

Name:	004.png
Views:	220
Size:	503.7 KB
ID:	1441685

PORT my use PVC with 38 inner diameter and 42 outer diameter, and the length is 24CM
                  I will build in the near future, and I will continue to share pictures with you
                  I was thinking of making a slot ported sub using this driver as per the attached but the down-firing design is interesting alternative.Click image for larger version

Name:	Enclosure Concept Exploded View 20-04-30.jpg
Views:	208
Size:	305.6 KB
ID:	1441720

Comment

Wow, your design looks very cool.

Comment

Originally posted by rscamp View Post

I was thinking of making a slot ported sub using this driver as per the attached but the down-firing design is interesting alternative.Click image for larger version

Name:	Enclosure Concept Exploded View 20-04-30.jpg
Views:	208
Size:	305.6 KB
ID:	1441720
                      Um, wow! If you can make stuff like that, I may have to put you to work.
                      Isn't it about time we started answering rhetorical questions?

Paul Carmody's DIY Audio Projects
                      Twitter: @undefinition1

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Carmody View Post

Um, wow! If you can make stuff like that, I may have to put you to work.
                        Well, it would certainly be an experiment with the translam approach to a Voxel! I'm trying to decide if it is worth the effort over more standard construction.

Timely post, Paul. A bit off-topic, but I was thinking of building a pair of Overnight Sensations but with a different style. Does this variant on the OS look doable without needing modifications to the crossover?

Name:	Design Concept 3 20-05-05.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	209.0 KB
ID:	1441877

Comment

You moved the drivers, so that will have an affect on the frequency response.
                          Wolf
                          "Wolf, you shall now be known as "King of the Zip ties." -Pete00t
                          "Wolf and speakers equivalent to Picasso and 'Blue'" -dantheman
                          "He is a true ambassador for this forum and speaker DIY in general." -Ed Froste
                          "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:
                          http://photobucket.com/Wolf-Speakers_and_more

My blog/writeups/thoughts here at PE:
                          http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102

Comment

Name:	001.png
Views:	120
Size:	198.8 KB
ID:	1443351