New Member OB project thoughts.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by djg View Post
    These little guys are surprising, perfect for a 2.1 setup. The "crossover" is one capacitor. I'm building a set from a flat pack from SilverD. Dirt cheap for really good sound. Sort of open baffle.

http://techtalk.parts-express.com/fo...ardioid-design
    Ok....looking hard at this.

Comment

The commercial design they mimic is the Brio, which goes for a bit of change in a 2.1 offering.

Comment

Have a look at the fast, fun, open baffle project on DIYaudio.com. I think it will fulfill the OPs needs.

Comment

GR research, Danny is the owner of this company go to his website, it has a sale on for an OB system really cheap, one catch is you have to build your own speaker's cabinets, but most of the parts are supplied incl. drivers and x-over for about $350/PAIR.
          These speakers should sound good as your 1st exposure to OB. I recommend them even though I don't own them. Danny knows how to design speakers and the drivers are quite good for the price(I own some of his drivers).
          BTW I am not associated with him whatsoever.

Comment

Originally posted by Madcapwoodwright View Post

Ok....looking hard at this.
            The TC9 is one of those drivers that punches way above it's price class. Sadly out of stock at most speaker suppliers right now, but Digikey has them. PWR RYD (Craig) designed one with an ND105 and TC9. It's a very good sounding little speaker - very smooth. If you PM him, I'm sure he'll help you out.Click image for larger version

Name:	6-_DS51347.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	807.8 KB
ID:	1441266
            Co-conspirator in the development of the "CR Gnarly Fidelity Reduction Unit" - Registered Trademark, Patent Pending.

Comment

• Madcapwoodwright
              Madcapwoodwright commented
              Editing a comment
              This is now on the list. Currently deep diving on Hestia hybrid, but like this option alot too.

Click image for larger version

Name:	25085503d8b245ab65ab8b9f115c9986.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	731.2 KB
ID:	1441279 Purely ' open ' open baffles can work well .
            The criteria is somewhat different .
            The size is actually no larger , but proportioned
            differently.
            Driver Vas is not used in calculations.
            Fs, Qts and Sd are the important factors .
            To my ears the sound is far superior ....
            But that's my ears .....

Comment

Another design to consider is the Hestia Hybrid project over on the Audio Circle forum. It uses a slot loaded 8" woofer with an open baffle full range driver. The author does not use a crossover between the two drivers and the handle bar mounting permits adjustment between the drivers. The Peerless 8" woofer costs about $70 each. While this build uses an expensive Jordan full range driver, you could use a lower cost full range driver from P-E (the RS-100-8, ND105-08, Vifa TC9, or similar comes to mind) or elsewhere as the small open back driver. A simple yet effective introduction to open baffle listening with a small speaker.

https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=169640.0

The author does use some resistors to match levels between the two drivers but no crossover as the natural roll off (low pass) of the woofer is matched to the low end fall off (high pass) of the small full range driver. The key to a good match in this case is the time alignment of the small driver to the woofer.

Comment

• Madcapwoodwright
                Editing a comment
                Jim,
                I think you hit the nail on the head with this recommend. I'll be diving in asap.

Thanks!

• Madcapwoodwright
                Editing a comment
                Jim,
                I back ordered the Vifa TC9 fr from PE. Expect the in July sometime. Fingers crossed.
                I nearly pulled the trigger on the Peerless, but I have a pair of the GRS BOFU clones and am thinking of giving them a try first.

I need to build the enclosures anyway, and with as busy as I am with furniture (thankfully) I'm fine with the wait.

Any thoughts on the BOFU clones In this application?

That Hestia does look like a pretty nice design, great suggestion.

Alternatively, a mid to larger size full range driver could work well in a pure open baffle. I think that the Visaton BG20 has been used successfully for a budget system. The Visaton B200 looks even better, but it is also more expensive. You could use no crossover although I would probably use a simple inductor/resistor as a baffle step filter to increase the relative bass level by reducing the mids and highs. You would have the option of adding a tweeter, but it may not be necessary.

Every design has compromises, one of the difficult parts of speaker design is knowing what compromises will be acceptable to you. Experience comes with practice.

Comment

Thank you all for your suggestions. I confess, there are some suggestions here that are GOING to get built by me assuming I follow the classic "just want to tinker" followed by "I wonder what THIS would sound like."

The plan now is to duplicate the Hestia Hybrids, "Econo-style."

Vifa TC-9's are backordered through P-E. I already have a pair of GRS BOFU clones that I intend to use in place of the Peerless 8" full rangers used in the original Audio circle prototypes.

I have no idea what these will sound like. I know enough to know I'm basically shooting in the dark.

One thing I'm trying to figure out is how high off the floor of the box to fix the interior baffle that creates the slot. Also how far off the back wall to hold it. I would like to try to get the most out of the BOFU clones in this configuration. I am confident in the Vifa's, but unsure of the whizzer-ed BOFUs.

Has anyone experience with these drivers?
              I used them in some, I think(?) Frugalhorn type cabs for my first exploration with enclosure building, but they were a lot larger than the Hestia Hybrids.

I wonder if there are any modifications I should do regarding the slot to help get the most from the BOFUs?

Anyhow, I have to wait until July for the Vifa's anyway, so I'll probably buy some MDF and start in on the cabs and Vifa baffles.

Speaking of the Vifa baffles, would I be correct in assuming that enlarging the "half baffle" a bit will help to bring it's voice out more? Or better to stay with the original super low profile?

Any advice would be appreciated regarding resistors (have no clue where they go, and only understand that they help the monopole/bipole drivers play nice together.

And....any other tips too.

Thanks all!!!

Comment

Have you tried simply mounting the BOFU clones in an open baffle? Maybe 1x2 feet in size? That would be an interesting experiment. For more bass, add a decent sized inductor in series. How are the mids and highs on the BOFU?

Comment

Originally posted by Billet View Post
                  Have you tried simply mounting the BOFU clones in an open baffle? Maybe 1x2 feet in size? That would be an interesting experiment. For more bass, add a decent sized inductor in series. How are the mids and highs on the BOFU?
                  New and un-broken- in, they are tight.
                  in the Frugalhorns, they sound accurate, but thin. Mostly because of the tightness. The ones I have used are now broken in and sound much more warm and full, with, to my ear at least, not quite sparkling, but satisfying highs and really decent mids. The lows, in the Frugalhorns, are what were missing.

I'll give the 1x2 baffle a shot and see what they sound like. This is an obvious experiment that I totally didn't even think of. Thanks!

Comment

Re : 1 x 2 baffle .....
                    If the 2' side is on the floor the Fc is 2 x lower than with the 1' end on the floor .

Comment

Originally posted by hitsware2 View Post
                      Re : 1 x 2 baffle .....
                      If the 2' side is on the floor the Fc is 2 x lower than with the 1' end on the floor .
                      More lows with 2' on floor, correct?

Comment

Yes .... The floor is a continuation of the baffle .
                        The side on the floor determines the ' diameter '

Comment

Originally posted by hitsware2 View Post
                          Yes .... The floor is a continuation of the baffle .
                          The side on the floor determines the ' diameter '
                          Ok, thanks.

Comment

Working...
                          X