Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 8 inch Studio Monitor Driver Suggestion

Hi,
    I am new to DIY and would like to build a pair of box for studio use.
    I am aiming at 8 inch woofer plus horn tweeter. Mainly for R&B music and vocal in a 200 sf studio.
    Could you please help to see if following combination works? Or please share a better solution if you happen to have.
    Woofer: Dayton Audio RS225-8 8" Reference Woofer (or designer 8", not sure the difference between these 2)
    Tweeter: Eminence APT-80 Super Tweeter with 80 degree Conical Horn
    Crossover: Dayton Audio XO2W-3.5K 2-Way Speaker Crossover 3,500 Hz
    thanks

I wouldn't use that tweeter. It's OK for PA, but not for a studio monitor. A 1" dome will give much better results.
    www.billfitzmaurice.com
    www.billfitzmaurice.info/forum

Comment

I'd use a 1" dome tweeter in a waveguide, to better match the woofer dispersion. I doubt any off the shelf crossover will work well without a lot of massaging.
      Francis

Comment

3500hz is awfully high to be crossing an 8. 1500 might be a better target to shoot for. Another 8 to consider would be this one. These Peeerless drivers sound very good, and are relatively easy to work with, crossover wise.
        Peerless by Tymphany 830869 8" Nomex Cone HDS Woofer

Comment

Originally posted by cooper View Post
          3500hz is awfully high to be crossing an 8. 1500 might be a better target to shoot for. Another 8 to consider would be this one. These Peeerless drivers sound very good, and are relatively easy to work with, crossover wise.
          Those are pretty nice sounding if they aren't pushed too hard. I think I'd use two in an MTM if it was for studio use.
          Francis

Comment

It looks like the DS215-8 woofer could work decently with a Dayton premade Linkwitz 800hz/8ohm LowPass in a ~1ft cu, ported box tuned around 45hz. It seems to model well when paired with the ND16FA-4 tweeter and a Dayton premade Linkwitz 4000hz/4ohm HighPass, with ~6ohms of resistance added between the HighPass and the tweeter to flatten and tame it.
            This should give 4-5db of BSC and a ~2500hz crossover point, but it looks like they'll favor being mounted a little high if you'll be doing a lot of listening standing up...but this is just SIMed of course, not anything vetted.

I think the DS215 is a little cheaper and louder watt-per-watt than the RS225-8 though not as nice-looking. The RS225-8 has more Xmax, but for some reason it seems to reach it a little earlier which gives the DS a tiny bit more headroom for most/anything above 40hz. The RS225-8 should be able to reach deeper than the DS but you'll need a much larger box and it'll limit how loud it can play without going "flub".
            My first 2way build

Comment

Curt Campbell designed a TM and MTM using 8" Celestion woofer and Scan Speak dome tweeter. 92db sensitivity. He called them the Cobalts. Kits available elsewhere.

Wolf designed the Zingers, 8" Dayton DVC sub and a dome tweeter, less efficient, more full range. I'm not saying it's a "studio monitor", but it does kick some butt.

Is 8" a necessity?

Comment

MTMs are ok for farfield studio use, but if the monitor is for nearfield, as is the case when mounted atop a console, the vertical polar pattern doesn't work well.
                www.billfitzmaurice.com
                www.billfitzmaurice.info/forum

Comment

Questions you may want to think on...
                  1. Is your room treated?
                  2. What is your placement setup ie. spread, wall distance, listening distance, etc.?
                  3.When you say R&B, I'm assuming modern sampled key synth based, which leads to your low frequency needs. Will you be adding subwoofers or not?
                  4.What is your amplification setup, and are these for once in a while use, or are these going to be a money making tool?
                  5. Are you open to existing designs, assuming that you want to diy?
                  6. Are you set on horns only, or are you open to options?

There are many more questions that could be asked, but for a mix monitor, you need neutrality, and flat response. What you might like as a playback speaker, may not work well as a mixing tool. What is your total budget, and your experience level? Forget the off the shelf crossover. There are a few designs that you could duplicate that have been optimized for driver integration, and frequency response that would be worlds better. Glenn.

Comment

Off-the-shelf crossovers rarely produce what most here would consider a decent speaker - especially if you want something that resembles a studio monitor. If you are at all concerned with having fairly flat frequency response and don't own measurement gear, build a proven design or buy a kit. It will actually save you money (and frustration) in the long run.
                    Co-conspirator in the development of the "CR Gnarly Fidelity Reduction Unit" - Registered Trademark, Patent Pending.

Comment

Originally posted by billfitzmaurice View Post
                      MTMs are ok for farfield studio use, but if the monitor is for nearfield, as is the case when mounted atop a console, the vertical polar pattern doesn't work well.
                      Agreed, Bill. Of course, I wouldn't use an 8" driver for a near field monitor.
                      Francis

Comment

The questions in post #9 by Drummer are critical to working out what you need for your application, there are many proved monitor type projects from designers on this Forum and elsewhere which could work for you. For example, have a look at the write up on this speaker:

https://sites.google.com/site/undefinition/hitmakers

Geoff

Comment

The RS225 is going to run out of steam a long time before 3500 Hz. Really, it can't play above like 1200 Hz. Everything above that is cone ringing.
                          Isn't it about time we started answering rhetorical questions?

Paul Carmody's DIY Audio Projects
                          Twitter: @undefinition1

Comment

Are you looking to hit a certain price point?
                            Don't listen to me - I have not sold any $150,000 speakers.

Comment

The Eminence Alpha-8A would probably be a better match for that tweeter as long as you don't expect deep bass. It will play up to 3500 Hz and should do vocals pretty well. It might even work with the generic Dayton crossover.

Comment

Working...
                              X