Budget diy Dayton 2-way vs budget brand monitor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Budget diy Dayton 2-way vs budget brand monitor

Allright guys, I'm looking to replace my PC speakers, which are hooked up to my onboard soundcard.

I was actually looking arsar buying some Presonus Eris E3.5 active monitors for around $99.

Should be pretty good, for the price but I would rather build something.

SoISo been messing around in simulations with the Dayton TCP115-4 woofer and the Dayton NHP25Ti-4 tweeter. Crossover would be a second order LR at around 3200hz.
    ​​​​​
    In a 3.6L cabinet (22mm and 16mm mdf) with the correct BR port, this would give me an
    ​​f3 of around 55hz I think.

I would need an external amp for this setup with bass/treble controls.

This would set me back around $140, which is $40 more. (For a complete stereo build, including amp. note I'm not US based.)

I don't mind spending this if the sound quality (which is relative) is at least comparable to that of the Presonus monitors or something similar in that price range.

Any advice or suggestions?
    Thanks!

Build the Dayton 4?

https://duanebrowndesigns.blogspot.c...akers.html?m=1

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff F. View Post
      That's a pretty good idea, although I like the NHP25ti slightly better. But going with the Dayton 4 does give me a more tried and tested build including xover.

Comment

• Jeff F.
        Jeff F. commented
        Editing a comment
        Yeah, and it's cheap!

Why not the Overnight Sensation or C-Notes?

Comment

Originally posted by Kustomize View Post
        Why not the Overnight Sensation or C-Notes?
        The woofers in the Overnight Sensations/C-notes
        ​​​​​​and the filter with more components means that the cost
        increases by another 40$ or so over here in the Netherlands.

I really want to stay at the $110 dollar budget for all the
        drivers​ ​​​and all needed parts except the amplifier and cabinet.

Comment

Maybe you already saw them but here's another cheap option. No building but cheap and powered
          https://www.parts-express.com/dayton...ux-in--300-467

Comment

Part of the "Dayton 4" keeping co$t down is using a series XO (i THINK that one uses a single inductor?).
            If you HAD to use a Ti tweeter, I could prob. sim a "mod" for you, but I don't think you need to.

The Lepai 2020 amp is considered a great buy. It's stereo (like a small-scale integrated amp) and has decent distortion specs.
            I'm doing a build using that TCP115-4 right now (w/an MDT44) in a 0.10cf box (2.8L) that should reach 60Hz.

Comment

Nano Neos price anyone?

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff F. View Post
                Maybe you already saw them but here's another cheap option. No building but cheap and powered
                https://www.parts-express.com/dayton...ux-in--300-467
                Dang, didn't realize they were priced as a PAIR already! The non-BT version would suit me fine and has incredible value.
                It might sound brutal, but I think buying that pair and tripping al the parts I like would be cheaper. I can toss the cabinets if I feel like building something myself, and would still probably be coming in less than buying the parts myself.

Originally posted by Chris Roemer
                Part of the "Dayton 4" keeping co$t down is using a series XO (i THINK that one uses a single inductor?).
                If you HAD to use a Ti tweeter, I could prob. sim a "mod" for you, but I don't think you need to.

The Lepai 2020 amp is considered a great buy. It's stereo (like a small-scale integrated amp) and has decent distortion specs.
                I'm doing a build using that TCP115-4 right now (w/an MDT44) in a 0.10cf box (2.8L) that should reach 60Hz.
                Jep, an amp like that was the plan. No, I do not need to use the ti tweeter if it wouldn't really matter.
                Sounds nice! are you building a dedicated crossover?

Originally posted by djg
                Nano Neos price anyone?
                Jep, but the ND woofers increase the cost and I don't want that. ;)
                Last edited by prxprx; 05-24-2020, 05:19 PM.

Comment

I have not heard the Presonus, but I have heard (and built) the Duane Brown Dayton 4 and feel it is a pretty special speaker. Very compact, affordable, quick to build and sounding exceptionally good.

Comment

Well, it's a random review, but someone commented on the MK402 which kind of resembles the Dayton 4 I guess;

"the powered version of these speakers (talking about the MK402BT) is roughly the same price as the Presonus E 3.5's and I'd take the 3.5's over these both as a grot box, a music listening speaker and a studio monitor. Sure it's impressive the type of bass these little 4 inch speakers can put out for their size but the accuracy of the the entire frequency range on the competing speakers I just mentioned are much much more impressive."

Comment

Well, if you do go with the 3.5's you'll probably want a subwoofer. The Dayton 4 does kick butt in comparison in the bass department. 3.5's go down to 80hz and the Dayton 4 does about 50hz. You could probably get by without a sub using the Dayton's

Comment

I'll be the third to suggest the Dayton 4, it does sound really nice.

Comment

I'm finishing up a TCP115/XT25sc90-04 design right now. The box model is very close to Duane's Dayton 4. I'm quite surprised how good these cheap little woofers sound. I bought a pair of the MK402Xs on a whim - they were open box at a price that was hard to pass up. I only listened for a few songs....just long enough to know I sure don't like those TD20F tweeters. I should probably let them play for a day to let them break in, but I'm not sure it will help that tweeter much.
                          Co-conspirator in the development of the "CR Gnarly Fidelity Reduction Unit" - Registered Trademark, Patent Pending.

Comment

What would be the best tweeter to use to substitute for the ND16fFA-6 in the dayton 4? They continue to be out of stock. The ND16FA-4 is close in price but has a higher FS and is more sensitive.

Comment

Working...
                            X