Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is it worth it to pay more for a circular saw?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I bought my team a Wen horizontal metal bandsaw. It is more than adequate for intermittent use.
    Don't listen to me - I have not sold any $150,000 speakers.

Comment

I have the Makita top of the line, and real difference is it is very smooth, as in lack of vibration. As far as track saws, maybe check grizzly, they are cheap and not generally complete garbage, but I have no experience with their track saws.

Comment

I don't need a track saw because I have a couple of these, which I use with my circular saw and my router:

https://boratool.com/clamp-edge-saw-guide-system

They're handy as clamps too. I haven't bothered with any of the accessories, but they're available if you need them.
        www.billfitzmaurice.com
        www.billfitzmaurice.info/forum

Comment

I used a cheap corded ryobi saw for years and it worked ok. My brother used it when we were building a set of speakers for him and he gave me some crap for it being a pos. A month later he sent me a dewalt saw as a gift. It is miles better than the ryobi I had. Much quieter, doesn't bog down ripping mdf, and I can actually cut a pretty dang straight line with it free hand. I'm cheap though, probably would've mustered along with that ryobi until it stopped working had he not bought the dewalt for me.

Comment

I have a decent quality Skil circular saw. I never consider using it for a final cut unless I'm just building something simple like a deck. For speaker projects I only use it to rough cut larger sheets into managable sizes so I can safely (and accurately) cut them to final size with my table saw.

While the rave is all about "cordless" tools, I don't mind my quality corded tools one bit. If you plan ahead the cord never holds you back or is a safety issue. Cordless tools are great and I use them almost every day. Have we become such a lazy bunch that getting an extension cord out is THAT big of a deal? Geez!
            Craig

The lowest possible F3 box alignment is not always the best alignment.

Designing and building speaker projects are like playing with adult Lego Blocks for me.

Comment

Visit a job site and see if you think there is no potential hazard with cords. Also, we are not lazy. Productivity makes a difference in what kind of house you can afford.

Comment

I think a track saw is a great alternative to a table saw for the space challenged. Like most things audio, you have to start with asking yourself what you want for your specific circumstances. If you have a decent tablesaw I'm not sure a track saw is worthwhile. But YMMV. I've heard of folks selling their tablesaw after buying one. I like my table saw.

Most decent cordless tools are great until the battery craps out. That's why I like Rigid for cordless. I've replaced at least 3 batteries through their lifetime warranty, approx. $300 worth. Best tools, no. But decent enough.
                Carbon13

Comment

By and large I use my circular saw and boratool clamps when rough cutting parts from a full sheet of plywood, then the table saw for trimming them to finished size. My saw is large enough to handle full sheets of plywood, but it's a lot easier to cut full sheets with the circular than to try to jockey full sheets on the table saw.
                  www.billfitzmaurice.com
                  www.billfitzmaurice.info/forum

Comment

Originally posted by Liberator of Magic Smoke View Post
                    Visit a job site and see if you think there is no potential hazard with cords. Also, we are not lazy. Productivity makes a difference in what kind of house you can afford.
                    Some how I dont think Paul is planning on using his saw at many job sites. But if he is I am sure he will take this into consideration.
                    craigk

" Voicing is often the term used for band aids to cover for initial design/planning errors " - Pallas

Comment

I have the same Black and Decker ~7+" circular saw I've had for the last 20 years. The biggest improvement- Put a better carbide tipped blade in it! What a difference that made!!!

I like the side that the handle is on as I can watch my cut. Yes- it is a loud booger though! I really don't use it all that often, but there are times it is needed.
                      Table saw, miter saw, jigsaw, bandsaw, etc all seem to work for 90% of the jobs I need to cut something.

Later,
                      Wolf
                      "Wolf, you shall now be known as "King of the Zip ties." -Pete00t
                      "Wolf and speakers equivalent to Picasso and 'Blue'" -dantheman
                      "He is a true ambassador for this forum and speaker DIY in general." -Ed Froste
                      "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:
                      http://photobucket.com/Wolf-Speakers_and_more

My blog/writeups/thoughts here at PE:
                      http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102

Comment

If I were wealthy, I'd likely get a Festool tracksaw. Hell, I'd probably get a bunch of Festool stuff. One really nice thing about battery-powered circular saws is that you can take it with you to a store and at least rough cut things down before you load them into whatever vehicle you're using.
                        It is estimated that one percent of the general population are psychopaths - New Criminologist: Understanding Psychopaths

Comment

Originally posted by Liberator of Magic Smoke View Post
                          OSHA 30hr here (3x in last ten years), along with hundreds of hours of hands on followup. Cords are dangerous to those who get in a hurry, sorry. They are completely harmless to anyone aware of their surroundings.

I can't speak to housing costs due to cordless tool influence.
                          Don't listen to me - I have not sold any $150,000 speakers.

Comment

We still use lots of cords. There are never enough, in fact. I own dozens, no exaggeration. We still have careless people leaving them in stupid places, unfortunately. If we didn't have all this cordless stuff, the cord situation would be a nightmare with the proliferation of specialized tools over the years. I was trying to find my corded oscillating saw the other day because it occurred to me I haven't seen it since I got a cordless one. Get the DeWalt 20 volt. It's great. Excellent quick change blade system. Variable speed even.

Back in '86, I went to work for a framing contractor. All he did was frame houses. It turned out that he was a bit of an efficiency nut. He had me show up at 8:00 on the first day, after he had the crew lined out. I filled out my paperwork and went to work. At the end of the day, the boss yelled "Roll up!" I had no idea what tools belonged to who, or where they went, but I did know I could stay busy rolling up cords and hoses. I started with the cord I had been using. The boss yelled to me, "What are you doing?" I'm sure I looked confused. "Um, rolling up?" He told me to leave the cords and hoses where they were. I must have looked even more confused, so he took twenty seconds to explain that he left them out until the job was done. "For the labor I would pay to roll it all up, put it away, and get it out again, I could replace every bit of it at least once a year. I've never had any of it stolen, so I'm way ahead."

Where the cordless stuff really pays off is when you are working in odd places. You can take a circular saw, sawzall, light, impact driver and a drill up in a Genie lift and never give a thought to a cord you have to watch out for while maneuvering, let alone the tangled mess you'd have once you got up to the work. I don't even want to think about unplugging one to switch to another, then back again. The difference is huge. A typical kitchen cabinet job would likely take an extra day if every power tool you used had a cord. No one you are bidding against has that handicap.

Things are much more civilized in your garage, of course. It's that way in mine. The amazing benefit for hobbyists though it that the cheap cordless tools Home Depot sells are generally superior the the best stuff I owned twenty years ago. And they're cheap.

Comment

corded or cordless , cpooutlets.com is where i buy my power tools . you can buy new at great prices or reconditioned at even better prices . if they don't have what you want in reconditioned,just keep checking back , works for me .
                              donc

Comment

For me the blade is very important. Get a good blade because cheap *** blades will wear out after one use.

Comment

Working...
                                X