New guts for KLH Model 6

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rpb View Post

The sound of distortion from an over driven eight might not be a very pleasing sound either.

Do you see an off axis problem with these measurements?
    No, that looks pretty good. What combination is that?
    Francis

Comment

I miss windows XP.

Comment

• AEIOU
        AEIOU commented
        Editing a comment
        BwaaHahahaha!

Originally posted by AEIOU View Post
      Like a few others have said, a 10 inch woofer and 1 inch tweeter aren't the best combination, not by modern standards anyway. If it were me, I'd gut the entire contents, make a new front baffle for an 8 inch woofer and a 1 inch tweeter and port it. If you absolutely like the idea of using a 10 inch woofer then I'd make it a three way system with woofer, midrange and tweeter.
      Not hearing them, I would have had the same impression as well. Right now i'm listening to them, and when i put my ear up to the tweeter there is nothing, but for a woofer, it goes up quite high. I'm listening to Chopin and i would love to have a tweeter rounding out the sound, but it's not unbearable.

Comment

Originally posted by davidB View Post
        I believe I'm seeing the wrapping of the cloth around the edge of the masonite.
        Looks just like a pair I have. Same version of the terminal plate too.

Just take a blade and see where you are.
        If the blade goes in perpendicular to the face, it's removeable.
        If the blade goes under the wood rim parallel to the face, it's not.
        By gosh you might be right. i can shove a blade in perpendicular to the face, between the material and the side of the speaker, and it hits a "wall" which might be the actual baffle? Anyway, they're not really budging, but i'm getting increasingly more brave with my application of force. stand by.

**edited** No dice. There is a gap as you said, but the grille's are not budging at all...Re-researched my previous research and i'm finding the same info i did last time. Earlier ones had grilles, but they are epoxied. Two digit zip is also an indication that these are pre1956. I'm optimistic after letting them play for a few hours that i may have luck with new caps. Plenty of info on the caps... looks like i'll be prying open the rear plate and chipping away the epoxy.

Comment

• AEIOU
          AEIOU commented
          Editing a comment
          1956 was before ZIP Codes and stereo vinyl records.

• bobgc3
          bobgc3 commented
          Editing a comment
          which would explain why there isnt a 5 digit number in the area we usually see a zip code...just a 2 digit number before the state (which is what i think he was referring to as the zip code). Must be how he's dating it. Of course, people have been wrong before.

bob, I've sent you 2 PMs. Please acknowledge.

Comment

• bobgc3
          bobgc3 commented
          Editing a comment
          replied to your PM.
      Working...
      X