Dual voice coil subwoofers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dual voice coil subwoofers

When looking at dual voice coil subwoofers specs and they list the sensitivity or power output
    is it per voice coil or combined and if its combined and you only use one coil will it be 3db less and half the power.?

(Most DVC woofers have specs using both coils - typically in parallel.)
    Using a single coil halves the power-handling.
    If it's got a sensitivity of 90dB (both in parallel) assuming the same drive voltage (like 2.83v), then both in series will be about 5-6dB less (as will using a single coil). In part this has to due with Ohm's law and the fact that you're changing the load (impedance).

More importantly, using a single coil doubles Qes (which Qts "tracks" fairly closely), requiring a larger box (but lowering F3).
    Fs and Vas don't usually change (much).

Comment

Gotta partially disagree with Chris on this one. The UM18 is specd in series. It's a dual 2 ohm voice coil and the published Re is 4.4 ohms. So add 5-6 dB if using it in parallel.

Comment

I don't see what you stated as a disagreement at all, but in fact further bolsters the information he gave.
        Wolf
        "Wolf, you shall now be known as "King of the Zip ties." -Pete00t
        "Wolf and speakers equivalent to Picasso and 'Blue'" -dantheman
        "He is a true ambassador for this forum and speaker DIY in general." -Ed Froste
        "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:
        http://photobucket.com/Wolf-Speakers_and_more

My blog/writeups/thoughts here at PE:
        http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102

Comment

Originally posted by Wolf View Post
          I don't see what you stated as a disagreement at all, but in fact further bolsters the information he gave.
          Wolf
          It was the use of "typically in parallel" that I was disagreeing with. It's the anal retentive engineer in me that justs tries to avoid assumptions, typical situations, "normal operations", the kind of things that make you go aww crap after you get out of the design phase....

Comment

Working...
          X