Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A small, affordable tweeter that can cross at 2500Hz and is currently available is?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rpb View Post
    That should work. I've crossed the similar 06-04 at 2.5 kHz in a couple of projects without issue.

The sensitivity mismatch between it and the NS3 is pretty extreme, which is why I didn't initially recommend it. It will take a lot of padding and won't be trivial to keep the response well behaved.
    Keep an open mind, but don't let your brain fall out.

Sehlin Sound Solutions

Comment

BTW, I am curious if others have observed the "wicked peak" the OP reports at 6 kHz.

It doesn't show up in either the NS3 or ND90 (which is supposed to be a drop-in replacement) data sheets. I have been prototyping a variation of the Helium design using the NS3 or ND90 for slightly lower cost, larger size, more extension, but less power handling, but my drivers are at least several years old. If there has been a significant change in the response, it would be good to know - but it could also be an artifact of the OP's measurement setup and/or process.
      Keep an open mind, but don't let your brain fall out.

Sehlin Sound Solutions

Comment

Now that you mention it- I didn't have it on mine. It wasn't peaking until about 9k, and in duplicate, and they were 2 very minor peaks.
        Wolf
        "Wolf, you shall now be known as "King of the Zip ties." -Pete00t
        "Wolf and speakers equivalent to Picasso and 'Blue'" -dantheman
        "He is a true ambassador for this forum and speaker DIY in general." -Ed Froste
        "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:
        http://photobucket.com/Wolf-Speakers_and_more

My blog/writeups/thoughts here at PE:
        http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102

Comment

Originally posted by scottsehlin View Post

That should work. I've crossed the similar 06-04 at 2.5 kHz in a couple of projects without issue.

The sensitivity mismatch between it and the NS3 is pretty extreme, which is why I didn't initially recommend it. It will take a lot of padding and won't be trivial to keep the response well behaved.
          It will need several resistors most likely. I have the 06-04. Not using them anymore, but in a speaker of this performance level, it could probably cross even lower.
          Last edited by rpb; 05-31-2020, 06:07 PM.

Comment

Sorry I didn't think of this sooner, but the Peerless NE19VTS-04 would also be one to consider. It's a great sounding tweeter.

Dr Jay - you might want to run an impedance sweep those ND28's as soon as you get them. I had noticeable inconsistencies, even after having one replaced. I now have 3 that still won't make a pair.
            Co-conspirator in the development of the "CR Gnarly Fidelity Reduction Unit" - Registered Trademark, Patent Pending.

Comment

The Peerless NE25VTS would seem to qualify and is just under $25 with coupon.

Comment

Working...
              X