Adding High Pass Filter (6db)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Adding High Pass Filter (6db)

I'm running a traditional stereo set up with passive DVC subwoofer and two satellite 2-way speakers.. i would like to install a 6dB high pass filter at 125Hz for each satellite. If I wire the correct value capacitor in series with each 8 ohm satellite for a crossover point of 125hz would there be any significant problem? Would if interfere with the high/low pass filters of the 2-way satellite system?

Originally posted by paradigm View Post
    I'm running a traditional stereo set up with passive DVC subwoofer and two satellite 2-way speakers.. i would like to install a 6dB high pass filter at 125Hz for each satellite. If I wire the correct value capacitor in series with each 8 ohm satellite for a crossover point of 125hz would there be any significant problem? Would if interfere with the high/low pass filters of the 2-way satellite system?
    The actual impedance at 125Hz is not likely to be exactly 8 Ohms. It's going to require a lot of capacitance, so make sure you use good capacitors, high voltage rated capacitors. Adding a high pass to the satellites is definitely going to combine or effect the internal crossover functions of the satellites, but it's all rather complicated. You'll be changing the woofer low pass function to a band pass function, which will cause a shift in the crossover point. I'm not sure how the additional capacitance will affect the high pass to the tweeter. In the grand scheme of things it might not even be obvious, so go ahead and try it out, you can always remove it if you don't like the results.

Comment

• paradigm
      paradigm commented
      Editing a comment
      @AEIOU....Why would I need a lot of capacitance for a 6dB high filter @ 125 Hz.? It would just require one around 160uf. (wouldn't an 200v electrolytic cap be sufficient)

It's probable that your satellites have an impedance peak in the 125Hz range. That makes it hard to roll them off w/a simple cap (and definitely won't give you an "expected" 1st order rolloff curve (transfer fn)).

Comment

A simple cap doesn't work well for a variety of reasons, including but not limited to those listed above. It also doesn't do the other half of the job, which is to low pass the sub. An active crossover and separate amplification of the sub is the best option. Depending on what you have for the L/R amplification it may not be all that difficult to implement.
      www.billfitzmaurice.com
      www.billfitzmaurice.info/forum

Comment

Thx All....But I am using a 12db low pass filter for the sub.

So you're saying that if I was to use a 2 way 12dB subwoofer crossover with a crossover point at 100hz, i wouldn't be able use a 2-way satellite speaker across the high pass section even with matching impedances?

This leads to me ask then....if you have a bandpass filter, could you design it with a 12 db lowpass section and a 6dB high pass section?

Basically, I just want less bass going to the satellites.

Comment

If you are already low passing the sub then high pass the mains, but not with just a cap. Second order is the minimum useful slope.
          www.billfitzmaurice.com
          www.billfitzmaurice.info/forum

Comment

Consider using this. Even I can easily use it.

https://www.parts-express.com/dayton...-dsp--300-8010

Comment

• paradigm
              paradigm commented
              Editing a comment
              Thx djg.....I'm not looking to invest in any additional eqpt at this time. I might even consider running my stereo amp in dual mono and bi-amping. The left channel for the sub and the right for the satellites. I just want to limit some of the bass to the satellites with a high pass filter.

If you tell me the drivers in your sats, and the box size/type (and if vented, specifics), I can show you what the impedance looks like and how large a cap you'd need, and how "wacky" the rolloff would probably look. Tell us your sub driver & box & passive 2nd order LP filter values as well, please.

Comment

@AEIOU....Why would I need a lot of capacitance for a 6dB high filter @ 125 Hz.? It would just require one around 160uf. (wouldn't an 200v electrolytic cap be sufficient)

160uF is comparatively a lot when discussing passive crossovers. If they were film, it would also be rather expensive. Yes, you can buy and use some cheap NP electrolytic capacitors, but they usually aren't very good or very accurate.

Comment

Working...
              X