Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Book Shelves for $350-$400

Hello all,

I’ve been gone for 8-9 years keeping busy with other things. I still see a lot of familiar names on the forum.

I am looking to build a nice setup for an employee as a housewarming present. Looking for a Bluetooth enabled amp and a bookshelf pair that doesn’t need a sub for a total build cost between $500 and $600.

I see the Lepai amp for $110. Are there better amp options?

I am a decent woodworker and want to do the boxes myself, but I don’t have a cnc so any of the multi-faceted cabinets are likely out of the question.

thanks in advance

I was going to build these for someone, but the amp module was backordered. Lots of projects incorporating the electronics into the speakers these days. I would personally buy Dayton or SMSL brand over Lepai if you want a separate amp. And, there are bare amp modules available for you to incorporate into any speaker cabinet you choose, if you're making them yourself.

http://projectgallery.parts-express....ized/tiny-tym/

Comment

Jeff Bagby Helix mt from diysoundgroup goes to 40hz, 8ohm, includes cnc baffle. 342 dollars. Wolfs Zingers at Meniscus are under 300, no baffle included. Personally, I would choose one of those with no sub in a bookshelf size wrt price and low end. Wolf and Chuck have some great looking designs with Rival 7 inchers at RAD design also that are worth a look, and Paul Carmody has some mt bookshelfs that you may like. Sorry, not allowed to link directly to them. Glenn.

Comment

• DParsons
        DParsons commented
        Editing a comment
        The Helix MTM is a certain contender, I was considering building the Continuum's prior to departing the hobby years ago.

• djg
        djg commented
        Editing a comment
        My next project.

I'm a big Zingers fan, but I just don't see them as bookshelf size. 16" x 11.5" x 14" was my result honoring Wolf's baffle and volume specs. They are truly full range.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0015.JPG Views:	0 Size:	59.9 KB ID:	1442342 Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0016.JPG Views:	0 Size:	55.5 KB ID:	1442343 Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0017.JPG Views:	0 Size:	59.8 KB ID:	1442344

Comment

These are quite surprising. I heard Silver D's pair and they don't need any bass assistance. What I would call bookshelf size. Kits or scratch build, all components available at PE.

https://sites.google.com/site/undefinition/speedster

Comment

• DParsons
        DParsons commented
        Editing a comment
        djg these are a great option and a leading contender. I know Paul's speakers have always been highly regarded. I love a ribbon tweeter and that Tang band woofer was in one of my favorite builds designed by LouC, though I don't recall it's name. It was a skinny floor stander that sounded amazing.

• djg
        djg commented
        Editing a comment
        https://www.rob-elder.com/LouC/speakers.html

• DParsons
        DParsons commented
        Editing a comment
        So great to see that Lou's designs are still up. I had gone to the LoneSaguaro site and it was gone. The Schticks were one of my favorite sounding speakers at any price.

Hi Don, great to see you back on here!
      Hope all is well with you in Santa Barbara.

Are you looking to have the BT amp integrated into the speakers or a set of speakers and separate amp?

I use SSehlin's Lithiums for a reasonable sized book shelf speaker that still has good low end, but not "full range" by any means.

Andy.

Comment

• DParsons
        DParsons commented
        Editing a comment
        Hey Andy,

Hope you're well too. This guy is in his 20's and is accustomed to listening to a single battery powered bluetooth speaker. His Fiance is quite reasonable, so if I do a nice job they don't HAVE to disappear into his decor. I'll take a look at the Lithiums.

I am split on the amp placement. Is there a solution that would allow the two speakers to connect without speaker wires to both? Possibly a small amp to each and syncing the bluetooth signal?

• djg
        djg commented
        Editing a comment
        https://sites.google.com/view/sehlin-sound-solutions

It might be that stock is depleted one way or another to where Mark can't supply all of the parts.

Good to see you back here, Don! Let me know if I can be of any help,
      Wolf
      "Wolf, you shall now be known as "King of the Zip ties." -Pete00t
      "Wolf and speakers equivalent to Picasso and 'Blue'" -dantheman
      "He is a true ambassador for this forum and speaker DIY in general." -Ed Froste
      "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:
      http://photobucket.com/Wolf-Speakers_and_more

My blog/writeups/thoughts here at PE:
      http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102

Comment

Wolf nice to be back.

I made these for my Dad back in the day. He passed away two years ago and I have them hanging next to my monitor at work. Hooked up to a Sonos Amp.

I think about him and you every time I turn them up.

Comment

I still have another photo you took of your (my design) Sir Audinums. You really did a nice job. I still have my set.

Later,
          Wolf
          "Wolf, you shall now be known as "King of the Zip ties." -Pete00t
          "Wolf and speakers equivalent to Picasso and 'Blue'" -dantheman
          "He is a true ambassador for this forum and speaker DIY in general." -Ed Froste
          "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:
          http://photobucket.com/Wolf-Speakers_and_more

My blog/writeups/thoughts here at PE:
          http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102

Comment

The first time I saw Wolfs Zingers, I was surprised. This is the home theater speaker I need. I hope to have a pair of 8-inch bookshelf speakers that can be used as the main theater box, so Zingers has entered my collection. I will study in depth at the right time. Because now I still have a lot to learn about construction technology. Before I master the technology of surface paint, I am not ready to make high-value speakers for the time being.

Comment

• djg
              djg commented
              Editing a comment
              Zingers conquer the world.

As usual, I have exceeded my budget. I have decided to go with the Speedsters, and a hybrid bluetooth tube amp from Monoprice.

I will be doing the cabinets in 3/4" mdf and will be finishing them with a kevlar/carbon fiber red twill and epoxy resin, most likely with an inset black and epoxy finish baffle.

Total cost for parts, amp, finishing supplies without mdf is $646.96.

I'll post pics when I make some progress.

Comment

Nice gift, should be a visual treat.

Note the originals were 1/2" MDF.

Comment

• DParsons
                DParsons commented
                Editing a comment
                Thanks, I saw the 1/2” spec. I want to flush mount the woofer, will need some more meat for that.

Trying to figure a way to inset the baffle like the continuum design, while still making the carbon fiber wrap look good. I’ve never worked with that material before but have always wanted to try that and the epoxy resin pour finish.

• djg
                djg commented
                Editing a comment
                The beautiful uniform carbon and carbon kevlar weave you see in race car parts for example is accomplished with prepreg and vacuum bagging. A wet layup with bare cloth and brushed on epoxy might not give you the results you desire. I really don't know your experience or capabilities. Also you noticed the woofer overlaps the tweeter flange?

In the notes it said the woofer can be spread and flush mounted with no ill effects. I’ll be doing that.

I’ve been watching videos on the carbon fiber and epoxy resin process. Never done that, but have done lots of other projects. I figure I can sand it until it looks good.

Comment

Working...
              X