Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does great music repoduction evoke tears/emotion? . . .

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does great music repoduction evoke tears/emotion? . . .

I had a rare chance to share some audio projects/space with my brother recently and he confided that really good sounding music/vocals/instrumentals could evoke tears from him regardless of the subject matter covered by the music.

Looking over at him as he clutched his tall 16 oz beer while he sat upon my custom workbench 20 feet from a pair of OK speakers fed by 200 watts of clean audio power spewing soulful blues, his red/swollen eyes disclosed a disturbing realization that some people really can't hold back the emotion that some audio signals are able to evoke in them - I had always thought that this was a short circuiting of the brain caused by being snatched-away from the nipple as an infant too frequently and being yelled-at for screaming about it - seems like it it is a lasting imprint.

Anyone else cry out loud when they listen to music on really good sounding audio equipment?

This was accomplished with a pair of BIC America speakers laid on their sides, 1' from the wall on 5" thick isolation pads upon wall mounted shelves at 6' from the floor in the corners of the sparsely padded (24' X 36' X 8') room with an old 100 WPC Pioneer receiver/Amp just listening to You Tube audio tracks recorded in the 60's and a few more of more recent production.

I will admit that it sounds great and that I rarely get anything done on my latest speaker projects in that shop because it just sounds so good like it is in there but I don't cry about the music like that.

I usually sit on the floor and rock back and forth with a bundle of packing bubble wrap clutched against my stomach and imagine making speakers sound even better than this . . .

I thought I disliked horns but now I am fascinated by them and the fact that no matter where I am in my shop - the balance between the tweeters and mid-bass/woofers is so consistent and perfectly balanced.

Maybe it was the trumpets that were the issue - not sure now . . .

Thanks for sharing.

Comment

It's the music .... Nothing (or very little) to do with reproduction.

Comment

• Ryan_M
        Ryan_M commented
        Editing a comment
        I disagree with this. Years ago I had an awesome setup that I listened to for hours. There were things in music that I hadn't heard before and made it hit closer to home. Though I have a reasonable setup now, the emotional impact just isn't there. JMO

I admit to becoming verklempt occasionally when listening to some of my projects on a well known track. The feeling of immense pride at the successful end of a long project can be overwhelming.

Comment

In this case, not music eproduction, but live music bringing the pianist and creator to tears. Probably will make you cry as well. The power of music is universal. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LqoV4ZW7xTA

Comment

Great music gets hold of your soul and you feel it!

The first time I heard Beth Hart it was almost unreal.

When she got to (3:58) and STOPPED SINGING - my eyes moistened up .

It still happens to me every time I listen to that track.

When they don't make what you need - DIY;
          Listening Position - Standing, 20 feet back

Comment

• Geoff Millar
            Geoff Millar commented
            Editing a comment
            That's a great track on an excellent album and would even move you if it was played on B***.

Geoff

• Steve Lee
            Steve Lee commented
            Editing a comment
            That entire presentation was awesome.

I hope I never have to deal with that woman outside of closed doors for legal reasons . . .

I think it's the way some of us are wired. When the song, artist, and mood are right, the reaction can leave me misty. I think it's similar to why some people just have to get up and dance to certain songs. Most of the stuff I hear on the commercial radio stations these days has no effect - probably because they've processed all the humanity out of it.
          Co-conspirator in the development of the "CR Gnarly Fidelity Reduction Unit" - Registered Trademark, Patent Pending.

Comment

I think some of it has to do with what was going on in our lives as youths. Listening to some of the tunes that I liked and were popular back when I was a teenager and more emotional/still learning and growing rapidly as a person seem to have a deeper connection to me. Some of those songs can even bring me back to how I felt during those times. It has a lot to do with association at least for me. A couple of those 80's tunes still makes me feel like my girlfriend just broke up with me, and I'm pretty sure that's what was going on back then. That happened a lot back then it seems.

Of course, hearing really good powerful music, either in production quality, skill of the performer, or in verbal message can also evoke emotions. Something excellently performed in the way that we like will usually get the 'emotion' juices flowing to some degree I guess. Also, some spiritual music that makes me ponder God, and all He's done for me is emotional for me personally. Sometimes singing that stuff is even hard to do in Choir or in my quartet for instance. Lump in throat = bad singing usually.

TomZ
          *Veneering curves, seams, using heat-lock iron on method *Trimming veneer & tips *Curved Sides glue-up video
          *Part 2 *Gluing multiple curved laminations of HDF *Cello's Speaker Project Page

*Building the "Micro-B 2.1 Plate Amplifier -- Part 1 * Part 2 * Part 3 * Part 4 * * Part 5 'Review' * -- Assembly Instructions PDF

Comment

• djg
            djg commented
            Editing a comment
            "Jesus Loves the little Children", played at a very tragic child's funeral in my past can make me cry. Sometimes just thinking about it.

I'm usually not very effusive with my emotions, even though some music definitely moves me, but never to tears. This however always moves me, but it isn't just the singing, it's a bit more than that. (Susan Boyle)
          https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...ature=emb_logo

Comment

Re the OP, to me it's the music that's important, although good equipment will let you hear more of it. To be silly, I would rather hear great music on mediocre equipment than mediocre music on a great sounding system.

Jimi Hendrix' "Machine Gun" on good equipment will pack more of a wallop than on a bedroom radio, but the essence of the music will still come across: the howl of his guitar solo sounds like raw pain. With much classical music, there may be interplay between voices or instruments which may not be reproduced well on a poor system, but again the essence of the music is still there.

Geoff
            Last edited by Geoff Millar; 06-04-2020, 06:52 PM.

Comment

This track has done it for me in the past:

And this:

Comment

If the music doesn't elicit powerful emotions for you, no matter the genre or artist, then your crossover is wrong. Fix it.
                DARPA Jr - 2015 InDIYana Winner - RS180-8 + RS100P-8 + ND25FA
                The Aria's - RS150-4 (or RS150-8) + XT25SC90
                The Mariposa's - TEBM65C20F-8 + ND16FA
                The Canzonetta's - RS100P-8 and ND16FA
                AudioSource AMP-100 Mods OR Pyle PAMP1000 Mods

Comment

Not so much tears, but when I hear some of my favorite music on a good system I like it a lot. On a truly excellent system the same music gives me goosebumps. I can tell if some new speakers i've built are what I consider excellent if they give me goosebumps or nice chills. I have no control over that physiological reaction so it is a good barometer.

Comment

^^^^ this!

Comment

The material matters more to me than the system when it comes to emotions. I rarely cry from a song, but many songs by The Innocence Mission give me chills through my whole body. This is called Frisson, and I feel bad for the estimated 50% of the population that can't experience it. My brain is definitely wired for music, and The Innocence Mission triggers something in me every time. Look up the songs Tomorrow on the Runway or Rhode Island.
                      Eric L.

Comment

Working...
                      X