Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Parts Express Solstice kit - front curved baffle & cabinet

Hi,

Greetings and good health to all of you !

I live in Mumbai, India and a few months ago i got hold of a 2nd hand kit ( drivers and crossover ) of the PE Solstice kit from a seller in the USA.

I could not get the cabinet since this would be too large to ship and my funds would not allow me the luxury of a USD 1500 landed cost in Mumbai + add 35% customs duty to my home.

Now,

I am looking for cabinet drawings especially the front curved baffle and also information on the mounting distances of the 3 drivers from the top of the cabinet

This will help me make the cabinet as accurate as possible to the assembly instructions which i downloaded from the PE website.

The assembly instructions do not contain this information - since it is sold as a flat pack.

This is a one off project for me and any information will be wonderful.

I have trawled the net but there are no drawings or cabinet plans available.

Many thanks for reading and i hope to be contributing to this forum by depicting the build pictures as they happen.

I selected the Solstice kit after much online research and am excited to be making them.

My deepest respects to Mr Jeff Bagby for his tremendous contributions to the DiY community - i only wish i had started this project last year.

Probably then i could have had the good fortune to have had some interactions with him in building these speakers.

But - its not to be - but what is to be is that i hope to replicate his speakers for my home and play music through his speakers in a far away land from USA.

Maybe he will be happy to know.

Best wishes for good week ahead !

Kind regards
    maggie1973
    Mumbai, India

From the kit link on the PE web site, it looks like the drivers are spaced about 1/2 inch (12mm) apart. You should be able to figure the driver centers from that.
    https://www.parts-express.com/solsti...r-kit--300-708

don

I think I hear a difference - wow, it's amazing!" Ethan Winer: audio myths
    "As God is my witness I'll never be without a good pair of speakers!" Scarlett O'Hara

High value, high quality RS150/TB28-537SH bookshelf - TARGAS NLA!
    SB13/Vifa BC25SC06 MTM DCR Galeons-SB13-MTM
    My Voxel min sub Yet-another-Voxel-build

Tangband W6-sub

Comment

Adding to what Don posted above, the curved baffle is not necessary. If you want to include the curved baffle you can approximate your own quite easily. The length can be derived from by proportional measurements taken from a drawing printed to a convenient scale. The lower end is simple one end of an ellipse. Enjoy the journey!
      If life were fair, Elvis would still be alive today and all the impersonators would be dead.
      ~ Johnny Carson

Bungelow Ed's Photo Album http://techtalk.parts-express.com/album.php?u=8594

Comment

If you talk to PE customer service, you might get someone there to pull a baffle, trace a pattern on paper and mail it to you folded in an envelope. Minimal cost, loads of good will. Or someone here with a kit. I would do that if I had a kit.

Comment

Originally posted by djg View Post
          If you talk to PE customer service, you might get someone there to pull a baffle, trace a pattern on paper and mail it to you folded in an envelope. Minimal cost, loads of good will. Or someone here with a kit. I would do that if I had a kit.
          I did email PE and the standard answer in a No.

If nothing works out - i was thinking of scaling up the assembly drawings and approximating this on my own...

Maybe something will...

Comment

It LOOKs like it's the bottom half of an ellipse that's 22" (major axis) by 8-1/2" (minor axis) using about a 1/4" (or 3/8") "roundover"
            You should be able to draw this using a foci distance of 20.3" and a "loop length" of 42.3".

Comment

From another forum i got this info

from cabinet top to center of tweeter = approx 73 mm
              the flat pack supplied is made of 3/4 inch MDF
              the gap between driver to driver is approx 5 mm - they are closely spaced
              and the ellipse infor above should be reaonably good enough - i guess !

The photo is from PE itself... am drooling !

:-))

Click image for larger version

Name:	nicesolstice.jpeg
Views:	365
Size:	29.6 KB
ID:	1443526

Attached Files

Comment

As you go gathering the cabinet dimensions don't forget the slotted port. This is an MLTL design and the port location and size are important.

Comment

As has been mentioned, I don't think that the curved part of the baffle is needed, it is more decorative.

You do need the double thickness it adds to the box, but not the curve itself. I suppose it might help a little with edge diffraction, but in the downward direction. It did complicate doing the veneer on the front.

Comment

Thank you all for your responses... i will continue this thread once the build starts... many things are stuck due to Covid-19 situation..

I hope to run the Solstice speaker with a Naim Supernait 2 amplifier @ 80W at 8 ohm

Best regards

Comment

Originally posted by jtheisen521 View Post
                      As you go gathering the cabinet dimensions don't forget the slotted port. This is an MLTL design and the port location and size are important.
                      The speaker parts are finally on their way to me here in Mumbai

With Covid etc.. things progressed really slowly for me on this count.

would really appreciate the slotted port dimension / size and port location for the solstice and also confirmation of the tweeter center from.the top and the model woofer center from the top and gap between the drivers.

Present owners can really help me or some kind soul from PE

Comment

Originally posted by donradick View Post
                        From the kit link on the PE web site, it looks like the drivers are spaced about 1/2 inch (12mm) apart. You should be able to figure the driver centers from that.
                        https://www.parts-express.com/solsti...r-kit--300-708

don
                        Don

can you please elaborate on how you got 12 mm

thank you

Comment

Originally posted by maggie1973 View Post

Don

can you please elaborate on how you got 12 mm

thank you
                          That was a guess - I didn't see your post with your guess of 5 mm spacing.
                          In any event, the sound quality or frequency response will not really change for spacing of 5 mm vs 8 mm or so.
                          So use your estimate. All will be well.

I think I hear a difference - wow, it's amazing!" Ethan Winer: audio myths
                          "As God is my witness I'll never be without a good pair of speakers!" Scarlett O'Hara

High value, high quality RS150/TB28-537SH bookshelf - TARGAS NLA!
                          SB13/Vifa BC25SC06 MTM DCR Galeons-SB13-MTM
                          My Voxel min sub Yet-another-Voxel-build

Tangband W6-sub

Comment

Originally posted by donradick View Post

That was a guess - I didn't see your post with your guess of 5 mm spacing.
                            In any event, the sound quality or frequency response will not really change for spacing of 5 mm vs 8 mm or so.
                            So use your estimate. All will be well.

Thank you

I appreciate your understanding of my worry to get the speaker right.

Comment

Solstice is a 4 ohm design, not 8 ohm.
                              Wolf
                              "Wolf, you shall now be known as "King of the Zip ties." -Pete00t
                              "Wolf and speakers equivalent to Picasso and 'Blue'" -dantheman
                              "He is a true ambassador for this forum and speaker DIY in general." -Ed Froste
                              "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:
                              http://photobucket.com/Wolf-Speakers_and_more

My blog/writeups/thoughts here at PE:
                              http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102

Comment

Working...
                              X