• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• djg
    commented on 's reply
    That is all very nice. Enjoy.

• maggie1973
    replied
    Finally - the Solstices are home - its been about 10 days now and about 15 hours on them now

These are 2nd hand drivers so i dont think "burn in " will matter too much

I did revert to the original cross over as per design.

The sound is open and good bass ( i removed the subwoofer - and am trying to live without it ) and very clean in mid range

Its not warm sounding but not cold sounding too...

It manages to connect the HF / midrange + LF very well such that the music is held together and good recordings are amply rewarded while poor recordings
    are made apparent.

( no problem )

The MLTL bass is a bit different from the bass offered by the earlier combo of Merlin TSM BME + 18 inch subwoofer but i am a guy who likes al flavors of ice cream - so no problems for me.

for what its worth - My amp is a Naim Supernait 2 and the CD player is a Philips CD 960.

Use a Lenco L75 turntable as well ( the red one in the pic )

Am busy exploring my music collection once again !

The Mitsubishi Tuner democratizes ( is there such a word ? ) music and my folks enjoy the radio too..

Thank you Mr Jeff Bagby for this wonderful and simple design.

Hope you will be happy to see this picture of your design in a far away land.

RIP sir

Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• maggie1973
    replied
    No worries Chris..

you have a good day ahead of you!

Leave a comment:

• Chris Roemer
    replied
    Sorry to all, but NOW the "onsite" .PDF file DOES contain the XO schemo.
    My (orig?) "assembly guide" (from 2017) does NOT.

Leave a comment:

• maggie1973
    replied
    Originally posted by djg View Post
    The Solstice crossover schematic is in the assembly manual including values. I saw it The OP has every opportunity to restore the XO as designed or leave as is. Based on Mr. Bagby's reputation, I would build it as he designed it. Not how some flakey dude bodged it.

I think I'd also clean that XO PCB, it's filthy.
    Thats the endeavor - to build it as Mr JB designed it.

Will keep you all posted on the sound and the the completed speaker.

Thank you

Leave a comment:

• djg
    replied
    The Solstice crossover schematic is in the assembly manual including values. I saw it The OP has every opportunity to restore the XO as designed or leave as is. Based on Mr. Bagby's reputation, I would build it as he designed it. Not how some flakey dude bodged it.

I think I'd also clean that XO PCB, it's filthy.

Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• maggie1973
    replied
    Originally posted by Chris Roemer View Post
    The assembly guide avail. online (to view if you have NOT purchased the kit) DOES show part values (to purchase), but has the actual XO schematic blanked out.
    Please respect JB's/PE's wishes by NOT revealing the XO schematic in this thread.
    Thanks

the schematic is there for all to see atleast i see it on page 7 of the assembly guide.

i haven't revealed anything on this thread or anywhere else for that matter that's already not available out there...even in the PE projects page.

if I purchase a used kit..with a xover that doesn't match the schematic .does that forbid me from asking questions or sharing my build information ?

Am curious to see what aspect of my thread shows any dis-respect to Mr Jeff Bagby or PE ?

OTOH...I think Mr Jeff would be happy to see his speaker being re-surrected and used .

thanks

Leave a comment:

• Chris Roemer
    replied
    The assembly guide avail. online (to view if you have NOT purchased the kit) DOES show part values (to purchase), but has the actual XO schematic blanked out.
    Please respect JB's/PE's wishes by NOT revealing the XO schematic in this thread.
    Thanks

Leave a comment:

• maggie1973
    replied
    Since the XO is proprietary (and is only known to those who purchased it) I can only assume that the resistor in ? is the PR leg of an L-pad.
    Not having the shunt in there (same as having an infinite resistance - OR value >100ohms) would make the tweeter slightly louder, but (more importantly - possibly) ADDing the shunt (back) should help control the tweeter at its Fs (although morels typically have ferrofluid - and don't typically exhibit a high Z at resonance anyway).
    Thank you Chris

Its an L Pad with the R1 at 3 Ohm and R2 at 25 ohm ( as per design )

Just ordered 2 nos of Dayton 25 ohm 10W resistors

Hope to get it in a week.

In the meantime, we carry on with the 5 coats of paint and by the time the resistors arrive - we plan another listening session in the new situation.

BTW - did you get a chance to see theyoutube link ? It might be gard to get an idea but it goves a picture i hope..

Best wishes

Leave a comment:

• maggie1973
    replied
    Originally posted by Wolf View Post
    If you are changing the design, then you have not built it as Jeff intended. As the xover design is proprietary, you also should respect the circuit as intellectual property of the seller and not reveal its contents.
    Wolf
    Hello Wolf

The pic which you see in the posts above is the xover - as i got it from the previous user in USA

I am in India

Now - Comparing the diagram available at the Parts Express Solstice page assembly guide page 7 - i see a shunt resistor 25 ohm missing from the xover i got.

The situation is the other way around - i am trying to go to the original from the way i got it im my hands.

I am sorry if it appeared otherwise.

The contents are already mentioned in the assembly guide which is available freely.

Best wishes

Leave a comment:

• Wolf
    replied
    If you are changing the design, then you have not built it as Jeff intended. As the xover design is proprietary, you also should respect the circuit as intellectual property of the seller and not reveal its contents.
    Wolf

Leave a comment:

• Chris Roemer
    replied
    Since the XO is proprietary (and is only known to those who purchased it) I can only assume that the resistor in ? is the PR leg of an L-pad.
    Not having the shunt in there (same as having an infinite resistance - OR value >100ohms) would make the tweeter slightly louder, but (more importantly - possibly) ADDing the shunt (back) should help control the tweeter at its Fs (although morels typically have ferrofluid - and don't typically exhibit a high Z at resonance anyway).

Leave a comment:

• maggie1973
    replied
    Ok..

we are going to test the sound again with 25 ohm 10W dayton resistor as shunt..as per original drawing

we want to see what it does to the sound ...

any theories about what could happen ?

Will the xover point change ?

Leave a comment:

• maggie1973
    replied
    Wait just one minute!

Do you like the way they sound?

Hi Chris

here is a video link for you to check out

https://youtu.be/x-8q1EBH09g

its being painted now and i should have it home in about 10 days time..

below are the text from mr friend who is doing the work for me. He uses a 200W Class AB amplifier - Studio reference SR 200

One will not believe the performance of such compact speakers, One needs to hear it personally to believe it. These are one of the best sounding speakers. The Bass is very powerful (unbelievable for such a small size of drivers), the highs are crystal clear & mids are sweet. In short everything is well balanced. The DIY community has faced a great loss due to sudden death of the Legend. Mr. Jeff Bagby (RIP) We miss you.

The amplifier i have is a Naim Supernait 2 - 80W at 8 Ohm and 135W into 4 ohm

I hope my amplifier willbe comfortable in extracting the best out of the speakers

Am out of money now for a new amplifer !!

:-))

Note - the crossover is not as Per design as the person from whom i bought the kit had changed some components..the resistor/s and capacitors - upgraded..

I see 1 resistor mossing but my friend who is assembling the speakers likes the sound so i guess i will see how it sounds in my home

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20201205_121620.jpg
Views:	214
Size:	443.1 KB
ID:	1458526

Leave a comment:

• Chris Roemer
    replied
    Wait just one minute!

Do you like the way they sound?

Leave a comment:

Working...