Special project for my dad

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Special project for my dad

So after making a few bluetooth speakers for my friends and got a good response, i decided to make a nice audio system for my dad. Right now he uses a ultra cheap Genius SP-HF2.0 500 (image in the attachment). Anything i do i think will be a huge improvement over those speakers.

He wants to be able to listen to music in 2 rooms, that means 4 speakers. I attached an image of the layout. I have been suggested a build that falls into my dads budget range:

https://duanebrowndesigns.blogspot.c...-speakers.html

That would mean about 30€ per speaker for a total of 120€ for speakers alone. To that i have to add 1 or 2 amplifiers and maybe a cd player. I think total cost must remain under 150€ or 200€.

Now my dad is not perfectly sure how he wants the system to be so i need good ideas from you, to present them to him so we find a solution that works good for him. He listens to classical music, loudness isnt important since he listens to it at normal volume.

So the way i presented to him my idea was this. In room A on attached image, he has a computer. I want him to be able to listen to music from computer (youtube, mp3, etc.) in both rooms. Both rooms will have a set of speakers and he must control those speakers from the same room (the first thought for me was its easiest to do that with 2 amplifiers that have volume knob included). So far thats quite simple, i simply get him a receiver and connect that receiver to 2 amplifiers. The problem is that he also has many cds. Now 1 option is to just use the computer to listen to those cds but the other option is to have a separate cd unit in room 2, so he can listen to cds in that room. I myself am more keen to just using a computer but he is oldschool and might prefer some other option.

As for speakers on the link i suplied. Pricewise it is great, but they do appear a bit big at almost 7L. Room 1 is a small cabinet, his workplace, full of books already. Would that setup in the link, crossover, work even if i cut the volume of the speakers in half and changed the port dimensions to the appropriate one ? I would obviously like the speakers to sound good, so cutting the volume i lose some bass. I am really unsure how much bass is important in classical music.

Ok, just to not get into to many things at once, i left the amplifier/receiver type out, so for now we can only talk about speakers and the logistics of it all, how to connect, etc.
    Attached Files

A full symphony orchestra playing can be plenty loud!

Comment

Any other thoughts ?

Comment

Are you limited to 7 litres per speaker?

Bass can be as important in classical music as it is in other types: not in the 'hit you in the head' rock sense, but organ, double bass and timpani are key parts of many compositions, such as Verdi's Requiem or Beethoven's Choral Symphony. A live performance of either work is spectacular and even without amplification will reach high sound levels.

Much more so than in rock music, classical music has, depending on the work, a very wide dynamic range for which you need a decent amp and speakers; you have to be able to hear quiet passages and reproduce louder parts without the amp 'clipping' or the speakers running out of puff.

This is a long-winded way of suggesting you might need larger cabinets and mid-woofers to enable your father to enjoy his music as much as possible. Of course, much will depend on the drivers but you will want speakers with a reasonably low F3. For example, I have a pair of DIY 10 litre vented cabinets with Peerless SDS 5.5" mids which reproduce most of our classical music well. But throw them that famous Bach organ piece or Saint-Saens 'Organ Symphony' and they struggle with the lowest notes.

There are plenty of options for slightly larger cabinets, if you could stretch the size you'll have some good projects. Unfortunately I can't help you with the technical questions. I'd just connect the two pairs of speakers to the A/B speaker terminals of the amp/receiver and switch between the two as required. You could run the wires to the second room through the ceiling or under the carpet.

HTH

Geoff

Comment

I think as far as speakers go, i have it figured. I will use the combination of Dayton TCP115 and Dayton ND16FA-6. With 5L enclosure i get about 45Hz F3. That is about as much as my big speakers do and classical music sounds great on them. Loudness will not be a problem, i tested those dayton woofers in many bluetooth speakers and they pack a punch.

As for wires, there is already a hole in the wall so that will not be a problem. But i want my dad to be able to listen to all 4 speakers at once (for instance when he is cleaning around the house). So if we remove cd out of the equation it is quite simple, 1 receiver connected to pc and then receiver goes to 2 amps, 1 in each room, with its own volume knob. Cdrom, if my dad will want it, complicates things as i dont know how i will tell amplifier whether take sound from the computer or from cd. I will have to talk to dad if he can use computer as cdrom. He hasnt listened to his cds for months now since his cd player is broken. And he said he has gotten used to it. So for an occasional cd, i guess pc is just fine.

Comment

45Hz from a 4" and 45Hz from a 15" at the same SPL are quite different.....

Comment

Originally posted by ani_101 View Post
              Of course! I should have included that issue in my comments above.

When auditioning/building speakers, I've always found reproducing wide dynamic range classical music to be more of a challenge than rock or jazz. Our 'reference system with 7" MTMs and a sub, does extremely well in that respect but can be challenged at times. I've never had the chance to hear a system with 15" or even 12" woofers but there's a significant difference between the MTMs and the 5.5" Peerless speakers.

Re CD playback from the computer, I may be lucky but I've found that to be of acceptable quality for music, but that may be because I have a Creative Sound Blaster card installed. You can connect the output from the computer to the amp.

Geoff

Comment

Originally posted by ani_101 View Post
                Are you talking about dynamic headroom or something else?

If both are playing down to 45hz at the same SPL, and that SPL is low enough to keep peaks within a comfortable range for the 4incher to stay clean and non-compressed, is there still a quite noticeable difference?
                My first 2way build

Comment

For want of a better word or proper technical explanation, it's the 'size' of the sound provided by larger drivers: I can play some music on my Peerless 2 ways and MTMs at the same apparent volume, but the MTMs seem to sound 'bigger'. Also, the MTMs are 5-6 dB more efficient so the amp has more headroom for louder passages of music.

Of course, this could be confirmation bias or my brain being influenced by my eyes.

Geoff

Comment

Working...
                  X